SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Really, who are you hanging out with in crowd in Fargo, ND? I live in Grand Forks, ND. I am not hearing it.

I lived in GF I remember some rumors about how blais truly wanted Johnson to take the reins but somehow something fell through the cracks.

But, Goon, we have the nicest arena and it's full. Nobody can hold a candle to that, can they?

I'm not calling for hak's job but if you cannot see the benefits not only the arena brings but also the programs history and workout facilities you're blind. Sorry I tried to say that in the nicest way possible :)

• Upvote 2

I lived in GF I remember some rumors about how blais truly wanted Johnson to take the reins but somehow something fell through the cracks.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire but kind of remember that Johnson did not meet specific requirement necessary to apply for head coach job...maybe bachelors degree needed...? Sorry if this is way off base.

Mike Guentzel or Steve Johnson dumping Jackson and replacing with Eades. Not that far fetched.

A coach that will take over MN within the next five years.

A coach that is currently not coaching. Unless it is at the youth level.

A coach that has himself to blame for no longer being at UND.

Which of these is realistic?

Minnesota went 1979-2002, how many coaches would that school have to fire? Yale just won it's first title. Some are starting to sound like entitlement fans.

Damned straight Goon. Sounds like lots of folks here have little clue just how challenging it is to win a NC in any sport, and perhaps especially hockey where the differences in the actual blends of talent and chemistry between top teams is razor thin. Add to that blind puck luck, hot goaltenders, nerves, and whatever else might go into the equation and yes, 'tis true, top tier programs can go and have gone years without a title. We have seven of them. Hak has none of them. That will change. Soon. Heck, maybe even come April, 2014.

...but if you cannot see the benefits not only the arena brings but also the programs history and workout facilities you're blind. Sorry I tried to say that in the nicest way possible :)

Venues in Denver, CC, Duluth, Boston (U and College), and Minneapolis are nice too.

I like old-school barns like Yost, but that's just my preference.

Yes, it's a recruiting tool...but obviously kids go to other schools for various reasons too.

Whoa whoa whoa...let's not muck up the speculation, rumor mill, and armchair hockey expert opinions by tossing out factual information...

• Upvote 1

And two of them have had way more success than Hak has as head coaches. Eades is Eades and has always been the way he is since college. Do you really think that Guentzel would not apply?

I get the strong support for Hak and I said he's been a VERY GOOD coach, but yes, UND hockey fans may deserve to feel a sense of entitlement if only that a title can be expected at least every ten years.

I have NO CLUE who to hire, but I also stand by the strong draw the program and facilities are to any kid anywhere so I reasonably believe that whoever it is will succeed, and if after 10 years he doesn't get it done I'll call for a change then too. But it's not like he's been here a short time and hasn't been given a fair chance.

I know it's hard to win a title, but I'm also proud to be a fan of a team in which not winning a title in 10 years is grounds for a change.

Like York, when they finally win 1 they may win 3 in 10 years. No one can turn on auto win. May be more likely to win with a less dominant team, since dominant teams turned Denver into a hold and interfere team to win, and Michigan into pack the net rope-a-dope team to win. Both needed a few lucky deflections, bounces, with all the puck possession and shot attempts the Sioux had, but it didn't happen. Tech played the same game as Michigan in the playoff series prior to the final five, kept the game close and as winnable as the Michigan game, but a few bounces and the Sioux won 3-1 I believe.

Minnesota went 1979-2002, how many coaches would that school have to fire? Yale just won it's first title. Some are starting to sound like entitlement fans.

LMFAO...god I love this statement from the worshipers.

Expectations for ONE title in 12 years is an "ENTITLEMENT" view?

With the teams that have skated through the Ralph the last decade, there is absolutely no excuse Hakstol shouldn't have a NC. NONE. And if you want to make excuse after excuse for him and throw out idiotic lines like that one Goon...just keep that head buried in the sand pal. Keep in buried in the sand.

• Upvote 4

LMFAO...god I love this statement from the worshipers.

Expectations for ONE title in 12 years is an "ENTITLEMENT" view?

With the teams that have skated through the Ralph the last decade, there is absolutely no excuse Hakstol shouldn't have a NC. NONE. And if you want to make excuse after excuse for him and throw out idiotic lines like that one Goon...just keep that head buried in the sand pal. Keep in buried in the sand.

Agree 100%. As it stands right now, Hakstol = Woog. That could change this year, it could change next year or it may never change. Hakstol has had everything you could ask for to win at this level. Facilities, tradition, institutional and community support, talent. When you have all of this and you cannot bring home even ONE NCAA title, it is completely fair to ask the questions being asked. Not saying we should fire Hakstol, but it is more than fair to criticize his game management and his "systems" (which he is married to at all times, no matter what the situation). Being objective does not make you a "bad fan" or "disloyal" or whatever.

Having said all that, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

• Upvote 4

Agree 100%. As it stands right now, Hakstol = Woog. That could change this year, it could change next year or it may never change. Hakstol has had everything you could ask for to win at this level. Facilities, tradition, institutional and community support, talent. When you have all of this and you cannot bring home even ONE NCAA title, it is completely fair to ask the questions being asked. Not saying we should fire Hakstol, but it is more than fair to criticize his game management and his "systems" (which he is married to at all times, no matter what the situation). Being objective does not make you a "bad fan" or "disloyal" or whatever.

Having said all that, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

Good stuff. I get why the supporters like Hak, I do. But those of us on this side of the fence are just saying that very good is just not good enough for UND hockey. He's been no better than Gino and he was similarly beloved, but it was time to go. Same for Hak.

• Upvote 1

Good stuff. I get why the supporters like Hak, I do. But those of us on this side of the fence are just saying that very good is just not good enough for UND hockey. He's been no better than Gino and he was similarly beloved, but it was time to go. Same for Hak.

Gino was 17-21-1, 12-25-1 and 11-23-1 in his last 3 years at UND. His last NCAA tournament appearance was 1990 (he coached the team for 4 more years). Let us know how that compares to Hakstol never having a losing record at UND and never missing the tournament.
  • Upvote 1

Gino was 17-21-1, 12-25-1 and 11-23-1 in his last 3 years at UND. His last NCAA tournament appearance was 1990 (he coached the team for 4 more years). Let us know how that compares to Hakstol never having a losing record at UND and never missing the tournament.

What would have been Gino's record had he not been athletic director and concentrated only on the coaching position?

Look at how long so many of the other marquee programs have gone without a title. Under Hakstol, UND has yet to have a down season. Always very competetive, always relevant, always a winner. At this point, to fire a coach with Hakstol's track record would be shortsighted, rash, and foolhardy. The title will come.

Other marquee programs? Why not just look at this one UND? Dave Hakstol is setting a record at UND....he's working on the longest championship drought in UND history.

#buttparity

• Upvote 1

What would have been Gino's record had he not been athletic director and concentrated only on the coaching position?

What does this mean, he would have had the same records as Hak does now if he didn't have the pressure of being the AD besides coaching? Are you really trying to say Gino and Hak are comparable and Hak should be replaced because he is "just like Gino was before he was fired" with this complaint? Or am I reading you wrong?

Wow some on here are searching!

That is hard to say and was questioned even at the time. But I believe his last year as AD was also his last year making the NCAA tournament. His really bad years were after he was replaced as AD. Did recruiting suffer because of his AD duties? His best year ever was in the middle of his stint as AD, so at least a part of that team was recruited while he was also AD. Or did he burn out some because of doing 2 jobs? It's probably impossible to know for sure, but it is very difficult to do 2 jobs at the same time and do your best at either job.