SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

Lets see some line predictions now that the roster is official

I predict that the lines will change often, probably at least weekly. Some will change between games on the weekend and some will change during games. I will also predict that not a single line will stay the same throughout the entire season. Defensive pairings will also change during the season, but probably not as often as the forward lines.

best of luck jim, but could you have not announced this 2-3 months ago to allow hakstol to replace you.

The most common roster shape in both the Blais and Hakstol eras is three goalies, eight defenseman, and fifteen forwards, for a total of twenty-six.

With the departure of "Jim", guess what the roster shape is.

One thing that caught my eye about this year's roster is the lack of size. The two most intimidating people by height and weight stand in the net. Sure not like the old days, I hope this isn't a sign of what the team is moving towards but with the stupid rule changes and even worse officiating I guess this is what Hakstol has to do. Chage with the times or be left behind. I am going to miss being one of the most feared teams in the league and not having the refs put you in the box just for being so.....

Rant over.

One thing that caught my eye about this year's roster is the lack of size. The two most intimidating people by height and weight stand in the net. Sure not like the old days, I hope this isn't a sign of what the team is moving towards but with the stupid rule changes and even worse officiating I guess this is what Hakstol has to do. Chage with the times or be left behind. I am going to miss being one of the most feared teams in the league and not having the refs put you in the box just for being so.....

Rant over.

look at the teams over the past few years in BC and yale that have won it all, neither was a "Big" team. nor were Blais' two title winners.

Don't assume he didn't I suspect this was a mutual decision for the benefit if Jim.

I'd say once Stecher commited Senkbeil was told he wouldn't be coming back. Hakstol being the nice guy he is found a place for him to transfer to. In all honesty Senkbeil was a last minute replacement for a decommitment and if it wasn't for all the injuries his freshman year he probably wouldn't have played.

Jim's biggest impact came his Freshman year when there wasn't enough healthy bodies and he was forced into the action. Last year with more healthy bodies around you could tell the writing was on the wall for Jim. When he did play he seemed to be pressing, and wasn't the same player he was his Freshman year. Maybe you could attribute it to playing more relaxed as a Freshman because he knew he was going to be in the lineup come game time.

In the end, somebody already said it best. Late addition to the crew, wouldn't have played very much if at all this year, get to a place that will give him an opportunity to play.

Rant over.

No team is feared more than BC, and it's because of their speed and skill, not their size.

I'd say once Stecher commited Senkbeil was told he wouldn't be coming back. Hakstol being the nice guy he is found a place for him to transfer to. In all honesty Senkbeil was a last minute replacement for a decommitment and if it wasn't for all the injuries his freshman year he probably wouldn't have played.

Senkbeil wasn't a last minute replacement. That was Gaarder.

Or perhaps you and I have different definitions of "last minute."

Jim's biggest impact came his Freshman year when there wasn't enough healthy bodies and he was forced into the action. Last year with more healthy bodies around you could tell the writing was on the wall for Jim. When he did play he seemed to be pressing, and wasn't the same player he was his Freshman year. Maybe you could attribute it to playing more relaxed as a Freshman because he knew he was going to be in the lineup come game time.

In the end, somebody already said it best. Late addition to the crew, wouldn't have played very much if at all this year, get to a place that will give him an opportunity to play.

Key thing was he played so well as an emergency fill, even out of position that he deserved to start for a D1 team, it just wasn't going to be UND. At Vermont will be a full year starter his senior year. Good for him he earned it. While we just found out I suspect Hak knew for a long time.

He's still very good.....more of a two way player. But the knock on him is his size. Look at his plus minus the past two years in the USHL as a 17 and 18 year old....pretty solid.

Talked to a prominent scout RE: Johnson. Size isn't a concern according to him, but strength is. Also talked to someone in Lincoln, said Johnson didn't play with the tenacity and drive he possesses on a consistent basis this past season. On the other hand, Johnson himself has admitted himself that he didn't play to his potential last season and that he aims on rectifying that this season. I'm sold on Johnson, he'll be just fine for UND, and he should play a prominent role on the team right out of the gates.

Talked to a prominent scout RE: Johnson. Size isn't a concern according to him, but strength is. Also talked to someone in Lincoln, said Johnson didn't play with the tenacity and drive he possesses on a consistent basis this past season. On the other hand, Johnson himself has admitted himself that he didn't play to his potential last season and that he aims on rectifying that this season. I'm sold on Johnson, he'll be just fine for UND, and he should play a prominent role on the team right out of the gates.

That probably won't be an issue, once he gets in the weight room here at UND.

Nice recruiting class breakdown for this year

http://overtheboards.net/college-hockey-recruiting-rankings/

Also this last paragraph stood out. As noted by many here next years class is pretty amazing if they all end up in GF...Go Sioux!

"There are also three weapons up front in Adam Tambellini, Luke Johnson, and Wade Murphy, as well as an intriguing, talented goaltender in Matt Hrynkiw being added to an already deep (but soon to be less deep) crease. And in case you’re wondering, Coach Hakstol’s class next year is literally shaping up to be one of the best in college hockey. Ever. So there’s that.

For a more in-depth look at this class, our North Dakota Recruiting Preview comes out October 1."

My guess:

Mark Mac, Parks, and Tambellini

Rocco, Caggiula, and Murphy

Johnson, St Clair, and O'Donnell

Pattyn, Rodwell, and Mitch Mac/Gaarder/Chyzyk/Sanderson

Not sure on D

I like it...my only suggestion would be to have Johnson center Rocco and Murphy, his passing skills would definitely compliment those two.

Agreed....by size I meant mass, not necessarily height. He needs to gain some muscle, which he will. His pops was strong as hell.