SiouxSports.com Forum

CIT Invite

CMSioux

The Great West Conference gets an autobid to the CIT. Chicago St. won the tournament this year. That is how UND got into the CIT the last two years.

Thank God we aren't in the (not-so) Great West anymore! I have never heard of a conference tournament champion having a putrid record like 11-21! The Big Sky looks better every day.

Thank God we aren't in the (not-so) Great West anymore! I have never heard of a conference tournament champion having a putrid record like 11-21! The Big Sky looks better every day.

The thing about the Great West, it was the right place for the time. When we were in the Great West it was only football, and scheduling was hell for the other sports. Good grief.......I remember the Bison playing something call Si Tanka. I still am not sure what that was. The Great West was very needed for the transition.

As for the matchups......I like the CBI better than the CIT....but UND has the better opening game. And.....in the end we are both dating the fat girls........anything below the NIT is pretty marginal but it gives the potential for a few more games.

The thing about the Great West, it was the right place for the time. When we were in the Great West it was only football, and scheduling was hell for the other sports. Good grief.......I remember the Bison playing something call Si Tanka. I still am not sure what that was. The Great West was very needed for the transition.

As for the matchups......I like the CBI better than the CIT....but UND has the better opening game. And.....in the end we are both dating the fat girls........anything below the NIT is pretty marginal but it gives the potential for a few more games.

Agree. I am glad the team gets one and hopefully several more games to play. And winning one of these non NCAA/NIT tournaments would be a huge accomplishment. But to me both the CBI and CIT have a "Beef 'O Brady's Bowl" feel to them. There are 164 DI teams playing post-season basketball this year.

Regardless, I'm stoked to be playing Northern Iowa again, and hope they can advance!

Tuesday Games

Eastern Kentucky (69) @ Gardner Webb (195)

Fairfield (174) @ Kent State (131)

Savannah State (166) @ East Carolina (100)

Rider (147) @ Hartford (188)

Oakland (153) @ Youngstown State (187)

Boston University (148) @ Loyola MD (98)

Tennessee State (105) @ Evansville (106)

North Dakota (224) @ Northern Iowa (82)

Wednesday Games

Elon (178) @ Canisius (117)

Green Bay (159) @ Bradley (191)

South Alabama (155) @ Tulane (179)

Chicago State (320) @ Illinois-Chicago (169)

Oral Roberts (151) @ UT Arlington (118)

High Point (252) @ UC Irvine (121)

Cal Poly (163) @ Weber State (85)

Air Force (79) @ Hawaii (211)

Well based on the RPI rankings it would appear that EKU, USAF, UNI, WSU and ECU are favored teams. I like the draw of UND playing UNI. Let's see if the team continues to improve. Beating nonconference teams within the top 100 is the next step for this program.

Eastern Kentucky (69)

Air Force (79)

Northern Iowa (82)

Weber State (85)

East Carolina (100)

Tuesday Games

Eastern Kentucky (69) @ Gardner Webb (195)

Fairfield (174) @ Kent State (131)

Savannah State (166) @ East Carolina (100)

Rider (147) @ Hartford (188)

Oakland (153) @ Youngstown State (187)

Boston University (148) @ Loyola MD (98)

Tennessee State (105) @ Evansville (106)

North Dakota (224) @ Northern Iowa (82)

Wednesday Games

Elon (178) @ Canisius (117)

Green Bay (159) @ Bradley (191)

South Alabama (155) @ Tulane (179)

Chicago State (320) @ Illinois-Chicago (169)

Oral Roberts (151) @ UT Arlington (118)

High Point (252) @ UC Irvine (121)

Cal Poly (163) @ Weber State (85)

Air Force (79) @ Hawaii (211)

Well based on the RPI rankings it would appear that EKU, USAF, UNI, WSU and ECU are favored teams. I like the draw of UND playing UNI. Let's see if the team continues to improve. Beating nonconference teams within the top 100 is the next step for this program.

Eastern Kentucky (69)

Air Force (79)

Northern Iowa (82)

Weber State (85)

East Carolina (100)

AF's leading scorer, Michael Lyons, just had surgery so he is likely out for Wednesday's game vs Hawaii. He could be back for the 2nd round game, as recovery time was suggested at 7-10 days and it just happened at the MWC tournament last Wednesday.

I understand what you are saying but it is part of the process to establishing the basketball programs at the next level. I am very happy to see UND continuing to play. I hope that this type of tournament better prepares the team for the Big Sky tournament next year. UND had a great opportunity to beat Weber St this year. It came down to some bad possessions and decisions within the last 1:30 of the game. Taking a poor shot from the top of the key versus taking it the rim with 6 seconds on the shot clock, not providing enough spacing to allow a quick double team and steal. Not taking the open shot and then not rotating the ball to the top of the key and trapping the offense on the wing. All plays that the team gets to review and work on. Hopefully taking the next step this year in the CIT or winning the Big Sky next year and going to the NCAAs.

Here is an interesting article with Oakland's coach Kampe talking about his approach to scheduling and it's role in developing the Oakland program.

http://collegeinside...hree-prong-fork

I understand what you are saying but it is part of the process to establishing the basketball programs at the next level. I am very happy to see UND continuing to play. I hope that this type of tournament better prepares the team for the Big Sky tournament next year. UND had a great opportunity to beat Weber St this year. It came down to some bad possessions and decisions within the last 1:30 of the game. Taking a poor shot from the top of the key versus taking it the rim with 6 seconds on the shot clock, not providing enough spacing to allow a quick double team and steal. Not taking the open shot and then not rotating the ball to the top of the key and trapping the offense on the wing. All plays that the team gets to review and work on. Hopefully taking the next step this year in the CIT or winning the Big Sky next year and going to the NCAAs.

Here is an interesting article with Oakland's coach Kampe talking about his approach to scheduling and it's role in developing the Oakland program.

http://collegeinside...hree-prong-fork

Loved the article with Oakland's coach. Oakland has the advantage of being close to several major BB programs (think Big 10, Big East, etc), while UND does not. I like scheduling some Summit League teams as a gauge for how we stack up with that conference, but Summit League teams can't be our only non-conference schedule. I wonder, do big D-I programs not like playing the small D-I programs, kind of like us not wanting to play D-II or D-III? It may get harder and harder to get the big-name opponent. Just think, the Big 10 is already not scheduling FCS opponents in football. Are big-time basketball programs next? The plus side, is that there are tons of great mid-major basketball programs who would be more than enough competition to keep our feet wet.

Loved the article with Oakland's coach. Oakland has the advantage of being close to several major BB programs (think Big 10, Big East, etc), while UND does not. I like scheduling some Summit League teams as a gauge for how we stack up with that conference, but Summit League teams can't be our only non-conference schedule. I wonder, do big D-I programs not like playing the small D-I programs, kind of like us not wanting to play D-II or D-III? It may get harder and harder to get the big-name opponent. Just think, the Big 10 is already not scheduling FCS opponents in football. Are big-time basketball programs next? The plus side, is that there are tons of great mid-major basketball programs who would be more than enough competition to keep our feet wet.

Final RPI is very important to the schools from major conferences when it comes to seeking an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament. Therefore, they are reluctant to schedule too many teams from low-major and mid-major conferences that have weak RPIs. Schools from the Missouri Valley that have RPI's ranging from 40-125 have alot better chance of getting games with a high-major than does a school like us at this point. The Big Sky had 2 schools with an RPI under 100, while the rest were in the 200's and higher. That is not very appealing to a mid-level program that is a member of a high-major league that may find itself on the bubble come selection time.

For example, if Minnesota would have played us this year instead of NDSU, their RPI would have taken a significant hit regardless of the outcome of the game because NDSU's RPI is so much higher than ours. I don't know how the formula works, but I actually think that this year in a hypothetical situation, a Minnesota win against a North Dakota (or SUU or UNC or whoever) in place of a loss to NDSU (or SDSU, or UNI, or whoever) would have hurt their RPI more.

The RPI is a big key to making the at-large selections, and there is a big difference between playing a school with an RPI in the 60-70's versus playing one with an RPI in the mid to low 200's.

Final RPI is very important to the schools from major conferences when it comes to seeking an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament. Therefore, they are reluctant to schedule too many teams from low-major and mid-major conferences that have weak RPIs. Schools from the Missouri Valley that have RPI's ranging from 40-125 have alot better chance of getting games with a high-major than does a school like us at this point. The Big Sky had 2 schools with an RPI under 100, while the rest were in the 200's and higher. That is not very appealing to a mid-level program that is a member of a high-major league that may find itself on the bubble come selection time.

For example, if Minnesota would have played us this year instead of NDSU, their RPI would have taken a significant hit regardless of the outcome of the game because NDSU's RPI is so much higher than ours. I don't know how the formula works, but I actually think that this year in a hypothetical situation, a Minnesota win against a North Dakota (or SUU or UNC or whoever) in place of a loss to NDSU (or SDSU, or UNI, or whoever) would have hurt their RPI more.

The RPI is a big key to making the at-large selections, and there is a big difference between playing a school with an RPI in the 60-70's versus playing one with an RPI in the mid to low 200's.

So how does one go about raising their RPI if teams that would boost RPI if beaten won't schedule games? I suppose beating Weber St. and Montana would help.

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2975&sid=6b07ba470a752e1a517037abd2e06e23

Re: CIT - Northa Dakota vs UNI

icon_post_target.gifby UNIFanSince1983 » March 17th, 2013, 9:05 pm

UNI beat UND 72-47 in the McLeod center.

It was our 3rd game of the year, and we did not have Anthony James.

It appears as if UND did better as the season went on. This could be a good game. It is also a pretty neat fact that UND's coach is a UNI alum, and our coach is a UND alum.

A nice little homecoming for Jones with a little more meaning the second time around.

Oh and the post below this one it is our buddy Lakes and his interest in UND athletics again.

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2975&sid=6b07ba470a752e1a517037abd2e06e23

Re: CIT - Northa Dakota vs UNI

icon_post_target.gifby UNIFanSince1983 » March 17th, 2013, 9:05 pm

A nice little homecoming for Jones with a little more meaning the second time around.

Oh and the post below this one it is our buddy Lakes and his interest in UND athletics again.

Lakes and his math skills on display. Dude can't even do simple subtraction.

Beating NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Montana, Weber, etc would have done wonders for our RPI. Low major conferences like the Big Sky and Summit make or break their RPI during the non-conference season.

Yes, it does seem to me that a team's ceiling is really set in the non-conference part of the season when you play high majors.

Due to blizzard conditions the UND-UNI game has been moved to Wednesday at 7pm.

What is the weather doing up there this morning? That may be a long 500+ mile drive. I hope they: 1) are able to get there today and 2) can get there at a decent time so they can relax and get a good night of rest.

Basically, RPI is comprised as follows: 25% weight on win-loss, 50% weight on opponent's win-loss and 25% weight on opponent's opponent's win-loss. So 25% is how you do and 75% is out of your hands and has to do with your scheduling and who you play schedules. Winning your games helps RPI, but not as much as one would think.

Using realtimerpi.com, this year, SDSU (RPI of 62, SOS - 175) got a major boost from playing New Mexico (2, 2), Belmont (19, 87), Minnesota (34, 4) and Alabama (60, 76). NDSU (75, 183) played Indiana (8, 10), Minnesota (34, 4) and Akron (42, 131). The only game in that group that either XDSU won was SDSU vs. New Mexico, which was a huge win, but they benefitted even more just by playing it since UNM has an RPI of 2 and a SOS of 2. The article someone posted earlier about Oakland's coach and his scheduling philosophy is a good example of this. Winning games is important, but scheduling tougher games can almost be more important, win or lose. It is also why many people don't think all that highly of RPI prefer other ranking systems (though all have their weaknesses).

For comparison, the only top 60 team UND (224, 285played was Kansas State (20, 40Montana (74, 241) played Colorado St (18, 35) as its only top 60 team. They also played Davidson who was 61 and BYU who was 63. Weber State (85, 292) didn't play a single top 60 team, but did play BYU. What it boils down to is that as long as RPI continues to be looked at, the Big Sky needs to step up its out of conference schedule very similar to what Summit teams have been doing the last couple of years.

• Upvote 1

Is there a chance that UND could still host some games this year? Obviously we will be in Iowa for the first round, but IF we win, then what? Is there another bid system to get home games OR does the tourney move to a central location?

I believe all games are played at campus sites.

I could be reading their website wrong, but it looks like after the first round match-ups, the remaining teams are then bracketed geographically. Championship game is on CBS this year.

I believe all games are played at campus sites.

I could be reading their website wrong, but it looks like after the first round match-ups, the remaining teams are then bracketed geographically. Championship game is on CBS this year.

That what I take from it, the CIT follows the old school NIT format which there is no pre-set bracket and the results of the previous round sets up the next round match ups.