SiouxSports.com Forum

CIT Invite

CMSioux

When are CIT invitations sent out. It would be great to be at full strength and get a CIT bid against another team within the region waiting for one - perhaps the CIT would create a bidding war to host the game?

When are CIT invitations sent out. It would be great to be at full strength and get a CIT bid against another team within the region waiting for one - perhaps the CIT would create a bidding war to host the game?

If we get a CIT bid, Faison better be bidding to get a home game. The way these guys played, they are itching to get another chance to get on the court this year. Might as well be at home!!!

I think I heard tomorrow (Sunday). Faison's been in communication already with CIT officials.

Everyone knows about the NCAA and NIT. But, I did not know much about the two other tournaments. Here is a brief review (NCAA/NIT then - major conf schools go to CBI and mid major conf schools go to CIT:

College basketball post season tournaments:

1. NCAA – field of 68

2. NIT – this tournament has been around since 1938. Participating schools host games and has the final four team play in New York at Madison Square Garden. 32 teams are invited.

3. CBI – College Basketball Invitational – This tournament started in 2008 and includes 16 teams. The teams are not seeded and hosting teams are determined based on bids. The finals are a best 2 of 3 format.
    • Past Champs:
      • 2008 – Tulsa over Bradley

• 2009 – Oregon State over UTEP

• 2010 – VCU over Saint Louis

• 2011 – Oregon over Creighton

• 2012 – Pittsburgh over Washington St.

• Past Champs:

• 2009 - Old Dominion over James Madison

• 2010 – Missouri St over Pacific

• 2011 - Santa Clara over E. Ten St. NOTE: UND lost in 1st round.

• 2012 – Mercer over Utah St. NOTE: UND lost in 1st round.

The problem with hosting a CIT game is the school has to pay a decent amount of money. If the games are next weekend, how many people are going to go to the game when the men's team is playing in the Final 5 championship and the women's team is playing for the Nat'l Championship?

Hopefully, a sell out but UND is going to have to charge more than normal to try and recoup some of that money spent on just hosting a game.

CBI is more of a major conference/mid major tournament. CIT is strickly a mid major tournament

Ok, thanks. So probably a little better competition in the CBI? Still think they could combine and get some great FBS conf. vs. FCS conf. matchups. I know for certain I will be at any post-season game that UND would host. (Actually, my wife and I drove to Colorado Springs in 2011 to see UND take on Air Force, and if it weren't for my grandma dying in March 2012, we probably would have gone to Des Moines, as well, to see them play Drake)

Wouldn't shock me if they ended up there either. If they went there, they would be highly seeded I bet.

But its still fun to speculate on potential match ups.

Yeah I could see us getting a home game in the CBI, we would probably be a top seed in the CIT but we have some kind of contract for non-conference games with the group that runs the CBI so it is likely we'll go with them.

Not sure where UND will end up, would be cool if you played Oral Roberts if you got into the CIT.

Right now, by my count and including the Great West Champion, there are 18 teams that have accepted invites to the CIT. They are:

Hartford

Boston U

Gardner-Webb

East Carolina

Tulane

UWGB

Youngstown State

Illnois-Chicago

Canisius

Fairfield

Rider

Loyola-Maryland

Kent State

Bradley

Tennessee State

Elon

Oakland

Chicago State* (Great West Conference Tournament champion)

14 more bids let

Would there be any chance of UND getting into the NIT? Or is that strictly for the major teams that missed the NCAA tournament. I am talking in any year not this one.

There is absolutely a chance, however it depends on UND's non conference wins. Some wins against teams that make the tournament, plus the entire Big Sky improving their Non-Con record would help. UND would likely be a low seed regardless, but it's definitely possible.

There is absolutely a chance, however it depends on UND's non conference wins. Some wins against teams that make the tournament, plus the entire Big Sky improving their Non-Con record would help. UND would likely be a low seed regardless, but it's definitely possible.

Thanks. I thought the NIT was just for majors like the CIT is just for mid majors.

If you're talking about this season,there is no chance of UND getting in the NIT. 500 record and no quality wins won't do it.

If you're talking about this season,there is no chance of UND getting in the NIT. 500 record and no quality wins won't do it.

If you read the question that was being answered you would have seen that the question was for any year, not this year.