SiouxSports.com Forum

CIT Invite

CMSioux

Didnt they see baby Saul crying in the post-game press conference after his team of juniors didnt win the tourney? Then go on to try and convince everyone how great his team is and how its NIT worthy?

If the NIT saw that classy display, they are in!

Saul took his complaining to a new low last night on KVLY. He resorted to pulling out a 3 foot long piece of paper with every team highlighted as to which tournament they went to, sorted by RPI. He then proceeded to say he "may never get over it, even when he is 80 years old".

He may never get over not making the freakin NIT?!? Somebody needs to reign in this clown and tell him to grow up. He has gone beyond the point of pathetic in this situation.

Also, Saul, if you look into it the RPI did not mean a damn thing when it came to NIT, CBI, or CIT. There were better teams than NDSU that got left out of the NIT also.

• Upvote 3

Saul took his complaining to a new low last night on KVLY. He resorted to pulling out a 3 foot long piece of paper with every team highlighted as to which tournament they went to, sorted by RPI. He then proceeded to say he "may never get over it, even when he is 80 years old".

He may never get over not making the freakin NIT?!? Somebody needs to reign in this clown and tell him to grow up. He has gone beyond the point of pathetic in this situation.

Also, Saul, if you look into it the RPI did not mean a damn thing when it came to NIT, CBI, or CIT. There were better teams than NDSU that got left out of the NIT also.

Please tell me you are joking?

Edit: I see his new conference on KVLY's website but I can't get it to play at the moment.

Uni is more appealing but both uni and und would rather be playing in our tournament. Its the best of the lousy tournaments

I could be wrong but I believe UNI had an option and picked CIT as its cheaper to host. Just heard it through the grape vine and not sure on accuracy.

Uni is more appealing but both uni and und would rather be playing in our tournament. Its the best of the lousy tournaments

The CBI may traditionally get the better teams but it's not like there's any prestige involved with winning either. It's an extra home game and extra revenue for the host teams and more opportunity for game experience for any team invited to either. Also, if the choice was between going on the road in the CBI and hosting in the CIT I'd take hosting every day of the week. I don't read much into which teams get invited to which tournaments outside the dance and the NIT.

• Upvote 1

Yah, Saul seems really excited about being in the CBI. Check the RPI's before you post this garbage, both tournaments have teams with low RPI's and high RPI's.

Better yet, ask Saul. He knows all the team's RPI's by heart. :silly:

A lot of negativity here about the CBI and the CIT. I would say that is true for some teams, but for our team it should still be considered progress. I don't care who we play its extra games in March. Now if we are still playing in only the CIT in 5 years, then we may have something to be disappointed about. But this is a good place to start getting better; win some games in a bad tourney and keep getting better for next year.

Middle of the page - 6pm sportscast replay.

http://www.valleynew...y/194244/sports

Wish they would have shown his comments while he was explaining his color by numbers to the media. WDAY barely had a thing on it. Convenient. Someone should tell Saul that he could have played in the NIT if they would have won the Summit instead of coming in third.

Good luck to UND tonight. UNI is a tough draw, but this game will be much closer than it was earlier in the year. Play like they did last week and UND has a good chance at pulling it off.

Good luck to UND tonight. UNI is a tough draw, but this game will be much closer than it was earlier in the year. Play like they did last week and UND has a good chance at pulling it off.

I agree. Hopefully the team performs like they did against Weber State, because "that team" had the potential to win the Big Sky Conference Tournament.

KVLY's video is misleading....

“It’s so crushing to lose in the championship game,” said the North Dakota State head men’s basketball coach. “I’m still not over it. Don’t know if I’ll be over it. But at some point, you put your big-boy pants on, and you go out there and you keep playing ball.”

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/393765/

Of course you also bashed Saul because he got emotional about not getting his one senior to the NCAA tournament in his four years at NDSU. Not sure what your deal is with Saul. It is really kind of pathetic.

KVLY's video is misleading....

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/393765/

Of course you also bashed Saul because he got emotional about not getting his one senior to the NCAA tournament in his four years at NDSU. Not sure what your deal is with Saul. It is really kind of pathetic.

I am glad you cleared up the KVLY piece, that makes more sense that he was talking about the championship game.

So you completely ignore all his pathetic bitching and belly aching for DAYS about not getting in the NIT and focus on the smallest point in the whole thread. Cool. I liked the color coded scroll he pulled out for the media, showing teams that are rated below them in the RPI- that is the sign of a mature, classy coach.

• Upvote 1

I am glad you cleared up the KVLY piece, that makes more sense that he was talking about the championship game.

So you completely ignore all his pathetic bitching and belly aching for DAYS about not getting in the NIT and focus on the smallest point in the whole thread. Cool. I liked the color coded scroll he pulled out for the media, showing teams that are rated below them in the RPI- that is the sign of a mature, classy coach.

Pretty pathetic. Hey Saul, it's the National INVITATIONAL Tournament. You weren't invited...get over it!

• Upvote 1

I don't really care about what Saul complains about. I listened to him on 740 the fan and he spent about a minute talking about the NIT. Yeah he really is complaining about it constantly.

I'm glad he thinks his team should be in the NIT, it isn't like he doesn't have a point.

I don't really care about what Saul complains about. I listened to him on 740 the fan and he spent about a minute talking about the NIT. Yeah he really is complaining about it constantly.

I will agree with you on that. You can care about whatever you want to.

Also, he was constantly complaining for two days straight. On KVLY, in the Forum, on 740am. In a two day span, I would call that pretty constant. And don't forget, he was campaigning for a few days before the announcement. He spent a hell of a lot of time on the subject. That color-coded scroll probably took a half-day itself to compile and analyze.

I'm glad he thinks his team should be in the NIT, it isn't like he doesn't have a point.

Go look at who made the NIT and who didn't. NDSU was not getting in. They took big name programs from big name conferences.

RPI rankings obviously meant nothing to the selection committee.

Again, if he wanted to make an Invitational tournament by not having to rely on an invite, then he should have won the Summit. Other than RPI, which 75% of has nothing to do with whether you win or lose, what point does he have? And NDSU wasn't even the highest ranked RPI team to be not invited.

The NIT always favors high majors, I get that. NDSU has the second best RPI left out per rpiforecast so that is why I think he has a point to talk about it.

Plus the team was 19-4 with Taylor Braun. If he plays those 10 games he missed NDSU probably has the autobid locked up and is likely hosting game. It sucks but that is life I guess.

The NIT is about TV ratings. Once the "autobids" (regular season champs that don't make the NCAA's) are settled, they are going to go with teams that will put eyeballs on TV sets. ESPN wants good ratings this season, to sell advertising for next years tournament.

I think Fargo was deserving of consideration for the NIT. But being left out is not the travesty that Saul had been making it out to be. There were better teams that were left out, and there teams not as good that got in. Happens with any tournament selection process.