SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Why is it racist? Because Erich says so - solid reasoning there. What a stupid little bitch he is.

I am sure Erich is fine with all the NA nicknamed schools on reaervations including one on the Standing Rock called the Fighting Sioux.

Would love to know your point and reasoning for being here? In case you missed it UND is in the process of naming a new nickname and has moved on. Thanks for your interest in UND. 

Hadnt seen it posted here. Its relevant to the discussion. There are numerous other links presented here. So whats your beef?

As much as I detest Longie's position, this is exactly why UND had to drop the Sioux nickname. The whiners will never stop as long as UND athletic teams are referred to, even in a non-official way, as the Sioux. (and probably will continue after a new nickname is chosen)

But then wouldn't they find another soapbox to stand on (i.e:  why are they still wearing Sioux gear, you have a new name, wear that instead!)

Their cause celebre is dying already. A new nickname finishes it off. The media will be ... 

squirrel-up-dog-gif.gif

... and off to their next "advocacy". 

• Upvote 1

So if it's posted on BV why would you feel the need to post it here besides to get a reaction you all can make fun of.

Is that the depth of youre critical thinking? Youre paranoid.  The link was just another perspective on the subject. What is the title of this thread? I have mentioned numerous times my position on this nickname BS and the NCAA.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3743510-und-community-assesses-diversity-efforts-year-after-walk-change

Just so many issues, falsehoods, revisionism and double standards shared within this story:

She admitted feeling a little anxious coming to UND shortly after a sorority hung a banner some deemed racist ...

What did that "banner" say?  "You can take our name, but you can't take our pride" - or something very close to that.  Anybody that finds that racist is a blatant jackass of a moron that is just looking to pick a fight - looking straight at you ROK.

• Upvote 2

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3743510-und-community-assesses-diversity-efforts-year-after-walk-change

Just so many issues, falsehoods, revisionism and double standards shared within this story:

B.J. Rainbow was still a graduate student when the Walk For Change took place. Now as a recruiter for the school and a Sioux tribal member, he said things haven't changed. Every year he feels he has to fight for funding for American Indian events and every year he still faces ignorance of his culture.

So B.J. feels his group is entitled to funding every year - there are many groups on campus that have to "Fight" for funding every year.

She admitted feeling a little anxious coming to UND shortly after a sorority hung a banner some deemed racist and students wore shirts depicting a beer-bonging Native American head with the words "Siouxper Drunk" at Springfest.

Racism is in the eye of the beholder - there was nothing blatantly racist in that sign - if you look for trouble you will find it. And once again, revisionist history - those wearing the shirts weren't all students and they weren't at a UND sanctioned event.

"I think this community really relies on that division between Natives to kind of say there are some who do like it and that makes it OK," Finley said. "No, just because some do like it doesn't make it OK. It's still wrong." Finley said in her personal experience, the people who support the old monicker haven't spent time on campus. "It's important for the whole community to be able to get along better, to just start moving on together," Finley said.

Oh so now the members of the Sioux tribe that disagree with their stance aren't allowed their opinion? Doesn't this also play to the schools that are being allowed to keep their name - "Just because some like doesn't make it okay" - where is the Florida Seminole outrage?. For Finley to say those that support the name "Haven't spent time on campus" is pompus and incorrect - perhaps she should reach out to them instead of making discounting statements like that without knowing their situation. They want them to "Come together and move on" but only if it's in the direction they want they aren't open to all tribal members only those that agree with their position.

At the Walk For Change, American Indian students demanded the university move on from the old nickname, ban its image on campus and hold sensitivity training or they would encourage Native American students not to apply at the school. Rainbow said he finds himself in a difficult spot as a recruiter for the university, as families have said regardless of any progress they don't want to send their children to UND because of the nickname issue.

Does their higher education not include anything on freedom of speech - I've seen some shirts at Pow Wows that are pretty offensive to the white man that I would like to see banned but it's not gonna happen. If they continue to encourage Native Americans not to attend UND they will eventually run themselves out of their government-supported jobs - no Native Americans on campus - no need for a cultural center. As far as B.J.'s complaint - well if it's his job to recruit for UND and he can't do his job he might have to actually go out and earn a job in the private sector.

Some people will say anything even if it's half truth or in this case mostly a bunch of crap to get people to look at them and the Herald is stupid on printing this without a disclaimer message saying the view of this person doesn't represent the view of the paper, the university or any sane person.

B.J. Rainbow was still a graduate student when the Walk For Change took place. Now as a recruiter for the school and a Sioux tribal member, he said things haven't changed. Every year he feels he has to fight for funding for American Indian events and every year he still faces ignorance of his culture.

So B.J. feels his group is entitled to funding every year - there are many groups on campus that have to "Fight" for funding every year. 

She admitted feeling a little anxious coming to UND shortly after a sorority hung a banner some deemed racist and students wore shirts depicting a beer-bonging Native American head with the words "Siouxper Drunk" at Springfest.

Racism is in the eye of the beholder - there was nothing blatantly racist in that sign - if you look for trouble you will find it. And once again, revisionist history - those wearing the shirts weren't all students and they weren't at a UND sanctioned event. 

"I think this community really relies on that division between Natives to kind of say there are some who do like it and that makes it OK," Finley said. "No, just because some do like it doesn't make it OK. It's still wrong." Finley said in her personal experience, the people who support the old monicker haven't spent time on campus. "It's important for the whole community to be able to get along better, to just start moving on together," Finley said.

Oh so now the members of the Sioux tribe that disagree with their stance aren't allowed their opinion? Doesn't this also play to the schools that are being allowed to keep their name - "Just because some like doesn't make it okay" - where is the Florida Seminole outrage?. For Finley to say those that support the name "Haven't spent time on campus" is pompus and incorrect - perhaps she should reach out to them instead of making discounting statements like that without knowing their situation. They want them to "Come together and move on" but only if it's in the direction they want they aren't open to all tribal members only those that agree with their position. 

At the Walk For Change, American Indian students demanded the university move on from the old nickname, ban its image on campus and hold sensitivity training or they would encourage Native American students not to apply at the school. Rainbow said he finds himself in a difficult spot as a recruiter for the university, as families have said regardless of any progress they don't want to send their children to UND because of the nickname issue.

Does their higher education not include anything on freedom of speech - I've seen some shirts at Pow Wows that are pretty offensive to the white man that I would like to see banned but it's not gonna happen. If they continue to encourage Native Americans not to attend UND they will eventually run themselves out of their government-supported jobs - no Native Americans on campus - no need for a cultural center. As far as B.J.'s complaint - well if it's his job to recruit for UND and he can't do his job he might have to actually go out and earn a job in the private sector. 

Meanwhile in the real world ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us/pine-ridge-indian-reservation-struggles-with-suicides-among-young-people.html

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

These people think the student government to give them thousands of dollars to pay for a powwow that barely any students attend and if they resist they are called racist. It's a huge waste of money to pay dancers to come dance at a powwow. IF they really liked doing it they would do it for free instead of wasting student fees. Maybe these people get dirty looks because they call the students racist.........

These people think the student government to give them thousands of dollars to pay for a powwow that barely any students attend and if they resist they are called racist. It's a huge waste of money to pay dancers to come dance at a powwow. IF they really liked doing it they would do it for free instead of wasting student fees. Maybe these people get dirty looks because they call the students racist.........

I don't have a problem with student fees providing some support for expenses such as building rental, security etc. Do they still have the free community meal? Do they pay every dancer or just those that win the competitions? I don't believe they should be entitled to money without having to compete for it and show the benefit, as well as being accountable for how they use the money. It seems the attitude is "Give us money and don't ask questions." 

So now anytime someone has their own "interpretation" on anything and they feel offended by that "interpretation" swift action must be taken to remedy his/her hurt feelings in this country? Makes sense to me.

This "Blackrobe" guys sounds like a bad dude but at least he didn't decide to behead, crucify, shoot or burn alive those NA "infidels" who didn't accept his religious beliefs. I'm sure that really would have caused some concern to those like Mr. McKinley.......................