SiouxSports.com Forum

Why cant UND have a new nickname yet?

WILDCAT

Serious question, probably answered somewhere on this board (too lazy to look for it :whistling: ) But why is North Dakota not allowed to have a new nickname for a while?

Is it an NCAA rule, something the state of North Dakota came up with or the University themselves?

I think it's dumb, I dont understand why you guys cant have a new nickname.

Another question, how many of you like being referred to as just The University of North Dakota? with no nickname?

Serious question, probably answered somewhere on this board (too lazy to look for it :whistling: ) But why is North Dakota not allowed to have a new nickname for a while?

Is it an NCAA rule, something the state of North Dakota came up with or the University themselves?

Another question, how many of you like being referred to as just The University of North Dakota? with no nickname?

These people would rather be called North Dakota for the time being so they can still be the 'Sioux' for all intents and purposes.

I believe the state said they had to wait three years.

The North Dakota state legislature passed a law basically saying we aren't allowed to pick a new name until 2015 in order to give everybody kind of a "cooling off" period. I don't hate being reffered to as just The University of North Dakota, it's certainly better than the UND Spirit or the UND green and white. Most on this board, including me, like it when the sports commentators/writers accidentally refer to us as the Fighting Sioux. Hopefully we start hearing some potential options for a new name from the university soon. If they pick out some !@#!$ name (see: Spirit) I'm guessing most fans will complain and then eventually just ignore it and keep referring to the teams as UND.

• Upvote 1

The state legislature got involved with the nickname issue (something that many of us wished never would have happened) in 2011. Becuase it was so controversial, when the the law requiring the name to stay was eventually repealed (and then re-instated, and then eventually voted out) part of the repeal was that the University let the issue of a new nickname rest untili 2015, a sort of cooling off period.

The NCAA doesn't care if we have a nickname or not, so long as it is not Indian related.

Since we can't have "Sioux" (or I should say, we risk our atheletic competetiveness with it), I think most fans are comfortable without a nickname right now.

The North Dakota state legislature passed a law basically saying we aren't allowed to pick a new name until 2015 in order to give everybody kind of a "cooling off" period. I don't hate being reffered to as just The University of North Dakota, it's certainly better the the UND Spirit or the UND green and white. Most on this board, including me, like it when the sports commentators/writers accidentally refer to us as the Fighting Sioux. Hopefully we start hearing some potential options for a new name from the university soon. If they pick out some !@#!$ name (see: Spirit) I'm guessing most fans will complain and then eventually just ignore it and keep referring to the teams as UND.

Also, since one of our bizun friends decided to chime in, the law was proposed and pushed by ndsu alum and house majority leader Al Carlson.

The North Dakota state legislature passed a law basically saying we aren't allowed to pick a new name until 2015 in order to give everybody kind of a "cooling off" period. I don't hate being reffered to as just The University of North Dakota, it's certainly better than the UND Spirit or the UND green and white. Most on this board, including me, like it when the sports commentators/writers accidentally refer to us as the Fighting Sioux. Hopefully we start hearing some potential options for a new name from the university soon. If they pick out some !@#!$ name (see: Spirit) I'm guessing most fans will complain and then eventually just ignore it and keep referring to the teams as UND.

I love that!!!!

For what it's worth, I think the operative word in the nickname bill is "announce" or something like that, so presumably UND can solicit input, select, and design a nickname in advance of January 2015.

My bad, the law says "adopt or implement." (The word "announce" had been used in the settlement with the NCAA.) At any rate, I suppose that timing will come down to whether "adopt" means that the school cannot privately select or even begin the vetting process.

Edited by NoiseInsideMyHead

As some have said, we will officially, unofficially be known as the Fighting Sioux for probably the next 35-40 years or more so whether we have a new moniker or not is not of great importance. I don't mind us being

THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA for now.

• Upvote 3

I haven't noticed where they have released anything as far as a timeline goes, has anybody else? You would think they will be appointing a committee of some kind this year at least?

They did have a committee, but all that was messed up when Al Carlson got involved and the petitions got out to save the name.

As to your last question, I personally would prefer that we just stay THE University of North Dakota forever, forgoing an official nickname. It would be the only real way I can see that the Sioux name could continue, carried on by the fans. Sort of how the Montreal Canadiens are often referred to as the Habs, or Pittsburg Pirates referred to as the Bucs, even though they are not offical names. When they come up with a new name, the Fighting Sioux will fade into history eventually.

• Upvote 4

As to your last question, I personally would prefer that we just stay THE University of North Dakota forever, forgoing an official nickname. It would be the only real way I can see that the Sioux name could continue, carried on by the fans. Sort of how the Montreal Canadiens are often referred to as the Habs, or Pittsburg Pirates referred to as the Bucs, even though they are not offical names. When they come up with a new name, the Fighting Sioux will fade into history eventually.

Marquette changed name in 1994 and the cheers at their basketball games are still "Lets go Warriors" and a large percentage of their fans wear Warrior apparel.

• 1 month later...

The problem is, every time you wash a shirt the fibers wear out just a little more. Eventually our Fighting Sioux shirts will be little more than spider webs, especially if you have a wife who keeps washing stuff whether you threw it in the hamper or not!

Why bother with a "nickname"? Let's call ourselves UND, University of ND, or North Dakota. Why do we need another one? Most nicknames are silly anyway. Just look at the.. GOPHERS. Why replace something as strong as Sioux with some silly caricature? Because everyone else does? Marketing? I say abandon the whole ridiculous nickname idea altogether. Go our own way.

Why bother with a "nickname"? Let's call ourselves UND, University of ND, or North Dakota. Why do we need another one? Most nicknames are silly anyway. Just look at the.. GOPHERS. Why replace something as strong as Sioux with some silly caricature? Because everyone else does? Marketing? I say abandon the whole ridiculous nickname idea altogether. Go our own way.

Probably stirring the whole nickname pot again...but since the subject is being brought up again.....What does everyone think about choosing the name "Nodaks"? Ther is history there. I do remember seeing the basketball team with "Nodaks" on the jersey. Plus UND would not have to adapt an animal or image to replace Fighting Sioux that is obviously going to pale in comparison. The "mascot" for UND would then be the people of North Dakota. Not some dumb animal or something. (Side note...They may be trying it out with the "Nodak Nation" student group to see how people resond to the name. just a thought).

I see that people are getting on the no-namer bandwagon. I mentioned that probably a year ago, in the new nickname thread, and I was crucified saying it was against the ncca agreement. I didn't argue it at the time because bickering on details on here is pointless, but I've noticed no such backlash here. Did something change, or is that not as an accepted interpretation as a year previous? I don't know how the ncca could possibly have a problem with a university wanting to stand on its name alone, but some thought so.

• Upvote 1

I see that people are getting on the no-namer bandwagon. I mentioned that probably a year ago, in the new nickname thread, and I was crucified saying it was against the ncca agreement. I didn't argue it at the time because bickering on details on here is pointless, but I've noticed no such backlash here. Did something change, or is that not as an accepted interpretation as a year previous? I don't know how the ncca could possibly have a problem with a university wanting to stand on its name alone, but some thought so.

The wording in the agreement is poorly written and one reasonably could interpret it the way you did. I initially interpreted it that way too when I first read the agreement. However, it appears that the NCAA is just fine with UND not having a nickname because it has officially removed UND from the sanctions list and has said UND is in compliane with the policy. Thus, I believe having no nickname is an option. Having said that, I think it is highly likely that the University will move forward with naming a new nickname once it is able to do so under the statute.

The wording in the agreement is poorly written and one reasonably could interpret it the way you did. I initially interpreted it that way too when I first read the agreement. However, it appears that the NCAA is just fine with UND not having a nickname because it has officially removed UND from the sanctions list and has said UND is in compliane with the policy. Thus, I believe having no nickname is an option. Having said that, I think it is highly likely that the University will move forward with naming a new nickname once it is able to do so under the statute.

And lets see how many people buy that jersey, I sure as hell am not!!

• Upvote 1

And lets see how many people buy that jersey, I sure as hell am not!!

Most of us old timers won't, but the new generations after new generations that won't know Fighting Sioux from Flickertails from the hole in their a$$ will presumably start buying them up in droves, as new traditions evolve and as we turn to dust in our graves. The University is bigger than us; it will live on with or without us. And soon our curmudgeonly opposition to the new status quo will be looked upon by our whippersnapper replacements as a quaint portal into the "ancient" past. Sad, I know -- but it's been happening for millenia.

Most of us old timers won't, but the new generations after new generations that won't know Fighting Sioux from Flickertails from the hole in their a$$ will presumably start buying them up in droves, as new traditions evolve and as we turn to dust in our graves. The University is bigger than us; it will live on with or without us. And soon our curmudgeonly opposition to the new status quo will be looked upon by our whippersnapper replacements as a quaint porthole into the "ancient" past. Sad, I know -- but it's been happening for millenia.

Pretty much each new group of freshmen on campus will drive the Sioux name further into retirement.