SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MINNESOTA - Saturday, one last dance....

AZSIOUX

The blind homerism on this board is just sickening at times. God forbid anyone be objective and call a spade a spade. If you are up by TWO GOALS with 9 minutes to go in the game and you TIE.....yeah....that's going to "feel" like a loss. Unless you're a complete friggin retard. Just love how so many are "well, we didn't get swept, and we had a good effort Sat, so that's enough"! Get real. This was just another piss poor performance by the Messiah's team in a big game. Except this time, you homers can't use the "hot goalie" excuse, now can ya?

So for complete unbiased reporting, should I go login over at GopherPukeLive?

Just an FYI, too...use of the 'R' word went out with the Carter administration.

• Upvote 1

The blind homerism on this board is just sickening at times. God forbid anyone be objective and call a spade a spade. If you are up by TWO GOALS with 9 minutes to go in the game and you TIE.....yeah....that's going to "feel" like a loss. Unless you're a complete friggin retard. Just love how so many are "well, we didn't get swept, and we had a good effort Sat, so that's enough"! Get real. This was just another piss poor performance by the Messiah's team in a big game. Except this time, you homers can't use the "hot goalie" excuse, now can ya?

And BINGO was his NAME-O!

The entire point of my earlier tongue-in-cheek post was that Sioux fans were screaming bloody murder about how poor their team is and predicting doom and gloom the rest of the season. By that token, a tie on Saturday should have been perceived to be a good thing. Instead, those same fans were upset over the tie. The fact is, it's awfully tough to win at Mariucci.

The entire point of my earlier tongue-in-cheek post was that Sioux fans were screaming bloody murder about how poor their team is and predicting doom and gloom the rest of the season. By that token, a tie on Saturday should have been perceived to be a good thing. Instead, those same fans were upset over the tie. The fact is, it's awfully tough to win at Mariucci.

I'm not sure you get it...lol. Regardless of how "tough" it is to win there, a loss when you were up 2 goals almost halfway through the third is putrid. That was the OP's point.

I'm not sure you get it...lol. Regardless of how "tough" it is to win there, a loss when you were up 2 goals almost halfway through the third is putrid. That was the OP's point.

I'm not sure YOU get it. UND can mope around for a week about 'woulda coulda shoulda' or the Sioux can prepare for St Cloud State.

They blew a two-goal lead with ten minutes left in the game. I'll double-check my college hockey history, but I don't think that's a first.

If you and siouxvikes would've read more than one post in the entire thread you would see a lot of people were unhappy with the result, so I don't know what you are both going on about.

Sioux fans can't win. No matter how we individually reacted to this draw, we are ALL homers/idiots/whatever.

I guess Sioux fans can't win. No matter how we individually reacted to this draw, we are ALL homers/idiots/whatever.

Yep, for completely non-homer reporting on the Packers, siouxvikes heads over to www.vikings.com and for unbiased opinions on the Republican Party, he reads thedailykos.

I'm a super homer.....hard core in love with the UND men's hockey team. But I think most of us around here are good guys/gals/fans.

The issue comes when someone gives an opinion (note...opinion) and they're jumped on. There are those that call a spade a spade and are jumped on for not being true UND fans, then there are those that won't say anything negative or put up with anything negative towards their favorite guys on ice and they're told to take off the green shades and wake up.

No win situation. Lets just agree that we'll all have opinions, and others won't agree with them.

Unless you're that skiumah guy that didn't see the BLATANT Rowney trip or Kristo get murdered from behind in OT by Bjugstad in front of the net....... :p

I give the following "better than passing" grades to Sioux players on Saturday night:

Kristo: A (had jump, scored the first goal, rang the post in OT)

Rocco: A (also had jump, scored a beauty, rang the post in OT)

Knight: A- (wasn't himself in the faceoff circle, scored a big breakaway goal)

Caggiula: A- (was making it happen, finished his checks, scored a great hard work goal)

St Clair: B+ (really hustled, blocked shots, finished his checks)

Rodwell: B (really hustled, perfect pass to send Knight in alone)

Simpson: B (played positionally sound in our end and jumped into the offense a couple times)

Gleason: B- (made no blatent, costly mistakes, used his skating ability to get the puck up ice)

The way I see things

I am trying not to convince myself that I just don't get it and that there are things I am misperceiving and not understanding. The reasons for this lie in the fact that there are about a half dozen notable things that I have been seeing both last night and recently in Sioux games and I don't see others mentioning similar things. I am going to throw them all out like a drunk pukes at 1:43am on a Sat morning. I am probably off base on most of them so be gentle...

1. Saunders vs Gothberg; as I mentioned last week I feel that Gothberg is the clear choice between the two based on performance and how I see them in net. Saunders seems to struggle to handle fast play and traffic around the net. He seems to move a bit slow, struggle with rebounds and not have a good glove. I feel like we gave him a good solid half season + but he has not inspired me in any way and so far I like Gothbergs movement and poise. Having said this I think Saunders played about his best game for the first to periods on Friday. Again, my feelings on the goalie situation are based on how I see them move not on the GAA.

2. Rowney. I cannot believe that people are not discussing Rowney's play more. Again I mentioned this last week. First the good: Rowney in my opinion is our teams best defensive forward, as well as penalty Killer and his fore checking is top notch. He is also one of our strongest skaters taking the puck up ice. Now the bad, the game gets to fast for him past the circles in our offensive zone. There his ability to capture a puck, move with the puck, adjust the puck in his space or pass the puck are all very subpar. He also makes very costly mistakes when he tries to get fancy with the puck. He has had several mess-ups this year which have directly led to us being scored on.

Given all of this very real assessment, I cannot understand why he is on a scoring line. I realize that he had success last year with Parks and McMillan but I think that was more about Parks and McMillan than him. I think he should be on a physical, checking line. Moving him would not only put him in his fit but also create the perfect spot for Grimaldi centering Parks and McMillan. I must mention that I saw Rowney have a very good game last night. I just think his skill set is bes suited as a checking line player and that is where he would have his best chance at superstardom.

3. Attack vs sit back. I would love for some hard core Sioux fan who has all of the games recorded do a little review of the last four games vs Minnesota. I think there is a gem of information hidden there, could be wrong but I think I have something, first a quick review: Let's start at the Final 5 championship game where Minnesota was in solid control of the game for about the first 30-35min and they had a lead to show for it. If you remember the Sioux absolutely reversed the momentum of the game at the end of the second period and took it to the Gophers. Next, recall the NCAA regional championship game where Minnesota soundly beat us. Then recall Friday's game where it was a very conservative game until the third where Minnesota again dominated in the wake of more puck fumbles than I have seen from our team in 10 years. Finally last night where we seemed to control play until we got a lead and then Minnesota would control play to take the lead away. At which time we would again take over control.

So now let me make an argument for what I believe I have seen as a stark difference in the way the Sioux play in their defensive zone through neutral ice which directly correlates to these above mentioned momentum swings. In all of the instances over the last four games where the Sioux have dominated Minnesota they were very aggressively attacking the opponent that had the puck. I remember it as relentless confident charging down ice that would create havoc for the opponent with the puck. It was as if Minnesota's charge was getting perpetually run over by a heard of buffalo. Now recall the times we were getting it taken to us (aside from moments of puck fumbling sloppiness) in all four games when Minnesota controlled momentum was when our guys would be playing conservative and doing the skate backwards ahead of the Gopher attack, then in the zone we would play position against their blue-liners and not go out to challenge them.

I remember last year saying to myself during the NCAA game vs Minnesota, "Why are we playing back and not attacking? We have not done that all year. It is not our game. It is the wrong thing to do if for no other reason than we have not played that way so we have not become team-wise proficient at it" It's kind of like the 87 Vikings switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in the play-offs in a year when their defense was so successful. Why? Play your game! Anyway, I could be wrong especially because I hear no one else talking about it but I really feel like there is something to this.

4. High risk passing attempts, often through a defender in the defensive zone. My Sioux loving friend and I had a record number of "Why" blurt outs this weekend as Sioux players would attempt a pass that had seemingly no chance of making it to its target as the pass was traveling through a defenders space. What happened to the chip up the boards method we used the last two years so successfully? Do what you have to do to get it out and make sure you don't lose possession. Bring back the drop back pass in both zones. Be fancy in the offensive zone cause your good at it.

5. Nick Bjugstad. I keep reading about the Gophers defense and how they are the reason the Gophers are doing so well or I have heard about Zack Budish. Well I can't get Bjugstad out of my head. Holly crap that dude is like Matt Greene with Travis Zajac's skills. I don't think I have ever seen a big guy play like that in my life. He is that team in my opinion. but that's just me?

The way I see things

I am trying not to convince myself that I just don't get it and that there are things I am misperceiving and not understanding. The reasons for this lie in the fact that there are about a half dozen notable things that I have been seeing both last night and recently in Sioux games and I don't see others mentioning similar things. I am going to throw them all out like a drunk pukes at 1:43am on a Sat morning. I am probably off base on most of them so be gentle...

1. Saunders vs Gothberg; as I mentioned last week I feel that Gothberg is the clear choice between the two based on performance and how I see them in net. Saunders seems to struggle to handle fast play and traffic around the net. He seems to move a bit slow, struggle with rebounds and not have a good glove. I feel like we gave him a good solid half season + but he has not inspired me in any way and so far I like Gothbergs movement and poise. Having said this I think Saunders played about his best game for the first to periods on Friday. Again, my feelings on the goalie situation are based on how I see them move not on the GAA.

2. Rowney. I cannot believe that people are not discussing Rowney's play more. Again I mentioned this last week. First the good: Rowney in my opinion is our teams best defensive forward, as well as penalty Killer and his fore checking is top notch. He is also one of our strongest skaters taking the puck up ice. Now the bad, the game gets to fast for him past the circles in our offensive zone. There his ability to capture a puck, move with the puck, adjust the puck in his space or pass the puck are all very subpar. He also makes very costly mistakes when he tries to get fancy with the puck. He has had several mess-ups this year which have directly led to us being scored on.

Given all of this very real assessment, I cannot understand why he is on a scoring line. I realize that he had success last year with Parks and McMillan but I think that was more about Parks and McMillan than him. I think he should be on a physical, checking line. Moving him would not only put him in his fit but also create the perfect spot for Grimaldi centering Parks and McMillan. I must mention that I saw Rowney have a very good game last night. I just think his skill set is bes suited as a checking line player and that is where he would have his best chance at superstardom.

3. Attack vs sit back. I would love for some hard core Sioux fan who has all of the games recorded do a little review of the last four games vs Minnesota. I think there is a gem of information hidden there, could be wrong but I think I have something, first a quick review: Let's start at the Final 5 championship game where Minnesota was in solid control of the game for about the first 30-35min and they had a lead to show for it. If you remember the Sioux absolutely reversed the momentum of the game at the end of the second period and took it to the Gophers. Next, recall the NCAA regional championship game where Minnesota soundly beat us. Then recall Friday's game where it was a very conservative game until the third where Minnesota again dominated in the wake of more puck fumbles than I have seen from our team in 10 years. Finally last night where we seemed to control play until we got a lead and then Minnesota would control play to take the lead away. At which time we would again take over control.

So now let me make an argument for what I believe I have seen as a stark difference in the way the Sioux play in their defensive zone through neutral ice which directly correlates to these above mentioned momentum swings. In all of the instances over the last four games where the Sioux have dominated Minnesota they were very aggressively attacking the opponent that had the puck. I remember it as relentless confident charging down ice that would create havoc for the opponent with the puck. It was as if Minnesota's charge was getting perpetually run over by a heard of buffalo. Now recall the times we were getting it taken to us (aside from moments of puck fumbling sloppiness) in all four games when Minnesota controlled momentum was when our guys would be playing conservative and doing the skate backwards ahead of the Gopher attack, then in the zone we would play position against their blue-liners and not go out to challenge them.

I remember last year saying to myself during the NCAA game vs Minnesota, "Why are we playing back and not attacking? We have not done that all year. It is not our game. It is the wrong thing to do if for no other reason than we have not played that way so we have not become team-wise proficient at it" It's kind of like the 87 Vikings switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in the play-offs in a year when their defense was so successful. Why? Play your game! Anyway, I could be wrong especially because I hear no one else talking about it but I really feel like there is something to this.

4. High risk passing attempts, often through a defender in the defensive zone. My Sioux loving friend and I had a record number of "Why" blurt outs this weekend as Sioux players would attempt a pass that had seemingly no chance of making it to its target as the pass was traveling through a defenders space. What happened to the chip up the boards method we used the last two years so successfully? Do what you have to do to get it out and make sure you don't lose possession. Bring back the drop back pass in both zones. Be fancy in the offensive zone cause your good at it.

5. Nick Bjugstad. I keep reading about the Gophers defense and how they are the reason the Gophers are doing so well or I have heard about Zack Budish. Well I can't get Bjugstad out of my head. Holly crap that dude is like Matt Greene with Travis Zajac's skills. I don't think I have ever seen a big guy play like that in my life. He is that team in my opinion. but that's just me?

NIce post...

As an outsider looking in I agree that Gothberg seems like he has greater upside than Saunders.

I think the best way to attack Minnesota is to take away time and space from their defensemen, whether that be in their zone or to attack them on the point if they are in your zone like on the power play. They have a tendency to turn the puck over when you do that but it is a high risk, high reward situation especially like Saturday when Wilcox wasn't as sharp as he has been. Their forwards are a handful if you take that risk and they manage to break the forcheck but that is better than sitting back and playing conservative against them.

The way I see things

1. Saunders appears better positionally to me. Gothberg quicker but more reckless positionally. Right now its a toss up for me. If Zane "wins" the starting job late in the year, it might be the confidence builder he needs to be THE goalie for a title run.

2. I have also been talking of moving Rowney off the second line and down to the third. Play him with St Clair and Mitch Mac. That line would be solid.

3. Agree with this. We are an aggressive team, not a sit and wait and hope to turn the puck over team.

4. I'd change this up to say make short, crisp passes; tape to tape. Drop pass in the defensive zone? When I read that i started doing pushups...that isn't a smart play.

5. Bjugstad is an NHL forward. He is big and strong and highly skilled. His goal on Saturday was due to physically overwhelming Forbert. I think one of the things overlooked is the cause for our terrible defensive play was often a Bjugstad or a Budish. Those two MEN really manhandled our D. Only Mac was their physical equal. Bjugstad manhandled Corban pretty well too when the lines went #1 vs #1.

I totally agree with this. Our 3 best centers are Knight, Mark Mac and Rocco, but you only need two of those to center the top two lines. Rowney is a 3rd line center on this squad. As someone mention earlier somewhere, this line combo jumbling is all an affect of not having a solidified top line. IMO Rocco needs to be there and if not him then Parks. If Hak can settle on either one of those 2 then I think things fall into place.

If it's Rocco, then your 2nd line is Mark, Parks and either Mitch or Drake, 3rd line is then Rowney, St. Clair and Mitch or Drake.

If it's Parks on the top line, then I think it's straight forward with Mark, Rocco and Drake, then Rowney Mitch and St. Clair. I really like Drake and Rocco together if Rocco isn't on top line.

Mitch isn't a top line guy and IMO Drake is a better offensive talent at this stage. Bottom line Mitch isn't the answer going forward on the top line. He needs to be in the lineup somewhere though. I'm a big fan of St. Clair and Drake. But at some point Rocco needs to be with players that can skate with him and make plays based off his creativity. Rowney isn't one of those guys and Pattyn definately isn't. Will be intersting to see what Hak does this coming weekend. If he feels the RPM line needs to stay intact then Rocco should on top line. From what I've seen offensively, defensively and goaltending wise, I feel this teams biggest upside and are where they can really seperate themselves is offensively. I think defensively, we are who we are and in net the same thing. IF the forward lines can be ironed out and we don't have any major injuries to shake them up this team has the forward skill to put a alot of puck in the net as they move forward.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree with this. Our 3 best centers are Knight, Mark Mac and Rocco, but you only need two of those to center the top two lines. Rowney is a 3rd line center on this squad. As someone mention earlier somewhere, this line combo jumbling is all an affect of not having a solidified top line. IMO Rocco needs to be there and if not him then Parks. If Hak can settle on either one of those 2 then I think things fall into place.

If it's Rocco, then your 2nd line is Mark, Parks and either Mitch or Drake, 3rd line is then Rowney, St. Clair and Mitch or Drake.

If it's Parks on the top line, then I think it's straight forward with Mark, Rocco and Drake, then Rowney Mitch and St. Clair. I really like Drake and Rocco together if Rocco isn't on top line.

Mitch isn't a top line guy and IMO Drake is a better offensive talent at this stage. Bottom line Mitch isn't the answer going forward on the top line. He needs to be in the lineup somewhere though. I'm a big fan of St. Clair and Drake. But at some point Rocco needs to be with players that can skate with him and make plays based off his creativity. Rowney isn't one of those guys and Pattyn definately isn't. Will be intersting to see what Hak does this coming weekend. If he feels the RPM line needs to stay intact then Rocco should on top line. From what I've seen offensively, defensively and goaltending wise, I feel this teams biggest upside and are where they can really seperate themselves is offensively. I think defensively, we are who we are and in net the same thing. IF the forward lines can be ironed out and we don't have any major injuries to shake them up this team has the forward skill to put a alot of puck in the net as they move forward.

Couldn't agree more. You are calling the lines exactly as I see them too.

This team's best defense has to be a dominating offense. Have 2 lines that can score, one line for puck possession- just work the cycle, and one line for energy.

PS: Right now something called Quinnipiac is #1 in the pairwise.....Why does the pairwise love the ECAC? Got to be something ACT related.....

just a lttle side not on this, should quinnipiac and minnesota finish 1-2 in the parwise BC could very well be shipped out west. but that is for a conversation about 2 months down the road.

Saturday's game was a far better showing by ND. Two posts in overtime - deserved to win that game.

Hated seeing the team implode on Friday. Thought yesterday was just plain better hockey. Still need to work on turnovers, though. Short passes, no horizontal passing at the blue lines by forwards.

just a lttle side not on this, should quinnipiac and minnesota finish 1-2 in the parwise BC could very well be shipped out west. but that is for a conversation about 2 months down the road.

B.C. looks very beatable this year.

Bottom line for me is that the Sioux can't afford to get caught watching instead of moving their feet, and if you look at a number of the goals last weekend, they had a guy fairly close by that wasn't covering someone in the slot. While the Knight line put up points on Saturday, they also were guilty of watching. When the Sioux were up 1-0, Pattyn left a guy wide open in the slot, and they tied it up. Doesn't even give us a chance to hold on to the lead for a short period and try extend it. That had to be deflating. The nice thing is that those things are quite fixable, the thing that is frustrating, is that it wasn't the younger players that were as culpable as the older players. Let's face it, the Knight line can't be even in +/- most nights and we still win consistently.

Bottom line for me is that the Sioux can't afford to get caught watching instead of moving their feet, and if you look at a number of the goals last weekend, they had a guy fairly close by that wasn't covering someone in the slot. While the Knight line put up points on Saturday, they also were guilty of watching. When the Sioux were up 1-0, Pattyn left a guy wide open in the slot, and they tied it up. Doesn't even give us a chance to hold on to the lead for a short period and try extend it. That had to be deflating. The nice thing is that those things are quite fixable, the thing that is frustrating, is that it wasn't the younger players that were as culpable as the older players. Let's face it, the Knight line can't be even in +/- most nights and we still win consistently.

Wasn't Kristo something like a -6 this weekend?