SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MINNESOTA - Saturday, one last dance....

AZSIOUX

I've always been a Rodwell fan. He's had some unfortunate injuries his sophomore year and again this year. Get the guy healthy and move him up with St. Clair. He fights hard in front of the net. We saw him snagging the Greasy goals when he was A heathy Freshman. Agree that Rocco goes to first line.

His pass to Knight was a thing of beauty.

Minnesota's defensemen are the difference in their team. Completely different.....completely. Brad brought up a good point in his postgame comments. They win more battles in corners, and are just so much more active with their sticks, with their gap control, physicality, etc.

Either John Hill is a horrible coach or Mike Guentzel knows what he's doing. Probably both.

Yeah I've seen the same thing for the last year and now this. The teams have somewhat reversed roles. UND now has the flash with Kristo and Grimaldi. But the Gophers have actually been far better along the walls and in their own zone, with the notable exceptions being the 3rd at the X last year, and the 2nd period last night. In the head to head matchups, the Gophers goalie has been slightly better.

But the teams are so even anything can happen when they play again.

Since team defense is little easier to improve on than team offense, I don't think the Sioux have much to worry about this season. They will be in the NCAA quarters with a good shot at making the Frozen Four. I expect the same from the Gophers.

The funny thing about needing to get lines set and stick with them ... Blais changes lines five times a game to find the right mix. (This isn't a Blais-love thing, just noting that maybe lines don't need to be set in stone.)

Love the line game! Woo Hooo

Kristo-Knight-Grimaldi

Rowney-Parks-Mark M.

St. Clair-Mitch M.-Caggiula

Rodwell-Pattyn-Gaarder

Mac-Mattson

Forbort-Panzarella

Gleason-Simpson

Zane or Saunders.......After Zane's play last night I think they're even.

These forward lines are pretty much spot on for me. Based on Rocco's play for most of the year, getting back on the development curve after a year off, I felt that he didn't belong on the top line and would have been a liability there. If he's going to play like he did last night, I'd give him a shot there. That was, to me, his best game for UND to date, and better than he looked in the WJC.

I like to keep the second line together, and I like reuniting the true fourth-liners.

I'm not as down on Schmaltz as many. He's a freshman and he doesn't make many mistakes with the puck. I'd have Panzarella in on the small sheet for his physicality, but I'm not sure who would come out. Based just on last night, it would be Mattson for me.

The Sioux are short on hitters, which is a good reason to keep that fourth line together. In a few years, when all the big committed defensemen show up, the Sioux D will probably be back to long on size and physicality, and short on puck-movers. Then we can recycle the board whines from eight years ago about the lack of skilled D.

Call on the ice was no-goal, so you can't really fault him for going bananas on the save...turns out it was a missed call on the ice that they got right with review.

Man, when Kristo and Rocco are both jacked up they can fly and shoot the lights out. I think they have to stop playing "posts" in practice. :D

Why did Oshie Toews & Duncan play together & we dont try Kristo Knight & Rocco

The "stacked one line" strategy has worked well for us in the past, I see no reason not to give it a go again.

It still leaves some skill for the lower lines...guys like Parks, EasyMac, Rowney, Rodwell, and some of the frosh like Caggiula and St Clair can and will be expected to contribute.

But stacking that top line would sure be fun to watch and they would rack up the goals.

I seem to recall the DOT line (Duncan/Oshie/Toews), the Money Line (Bucks/Parise/Murray), and the Line of Fire (Panzer/Bayda/Lundbohm) doing some serious damage for past Sioux teams...

Why did Oshie Toews & Duncan play together & we dont try Kristo Knight & Rocco

We saw it for a couple games they did produce! Could be dynamic if Hak decides to try it. In Hak we trust ;)

Odonnell may be sitting a lot. I hope Zane starts Friday along with a panz sighting but we shal see. Huge weekend in this WCHA race

And here all this time we thought listening to Kober was brutal but after listening to Casey Hankinson we may have to rethink that one.

He isn't the normal commentator though is he? I think it is Gorg but he was doing the high school games in Grand Rapids this weekend instead.

The "stacked one line" strategy has worked well for us in the past, I see no reason not to give it a go again.

It still leaves some skill for the lower lines...guys like Parks, EasyMac, Rowney, Rodwell, and some of the frosh like Caggiula and St Clair can and will be expected to contribute.

But stacking that top line would sure be fun to watch and they would rack up the goals.

I seem to recall the DOT line (Duncan/Oshie/Toews), the Money Line (Bucks/Parise/Murray), and the Line of Fire (Panzer/Bayda/Lundbohm) doing some serious damage for past Sioux teams...

UND would still have the RPM line and probably a 3rd line of Mitch Drake on wings w Colton at center. Those are 2 really good top lines and an above average 3rd line.

I am thinking Rowney is the #3 center:

Knight with Kristo and Rocco

Mark Mac with Parks and Caggiula

Rowney with St. Clair and Mitch Mac

Pattyn with Rodwell and Gaarder

If Hak breaks up the RPM line my guess the Mac brothers skate w Drake. Leaves Rowney Parks St Clair. Drake is getting better week by week.

I like the idea of keeping the RPM line together and this is what I would like to see Friday night. The only thing I can see with Hak not putting Grimaldi with Kristo and Knight may be because you would have 3 right handed shots together and someone playing on their off wing although I don't think that is a huge deal but maybe it is to him.

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo

Mark Mac-Rowney-Parks

Caggiula-Rodwell-St.Clair

Mitch Mac-Pattyn-Senkbeil

Mac-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Forbort-Schmaltz

Gothberg

Saunders

Maris

If Hak breaks up the RPM line my guess the Mac brothers skate w Drake. Leaves Rowney Parks St Clair. Drake is getting better week by week.

Rowney Parks and St Clair would be an excellent puck protection line. I think Parks just brings too much offense to the picture to not be a top 6

It does answer the question...just not to your liking. I'm only pointing out what everyone else also has observed...is that the defense is playing very un-Sioux like compared to what we have seen in the past. By your own addmition, you also agree that it could take 4months" or longer for the team to play good defense"......because in the past our teams were defined by excellent defense and taking the fight to the other team....not playing on your heels for 3 periods

The question was how would getting rid of Hak or Jackson have helped the defense when neither of them was the quote unquote defense coach. How did your post answer that question? The way that you are saying it, keeping Eades would have been the answer to all of our defensive problems when for the past however many years I have listened to people complain that he was the worst thing that has ever happened to our defense and they wished that we had Berry back. I am not going to continue to argue this as you will never see what I am trying to get at.

The question was how would getting rid of Hak or Jackson have helped the defense when neither of them was the quote unquote defense coach. How did your post answer that question? The way that you are saying it, keeping Eades would have been the answer to all of our defensive problems when for the past however many years I have listened to people complain that he was the worst thing that has ever happened to our defense and they wished that we had Berry back. I am not going to continue to argue this as you will never see what I am trying to get at.

Or could it be that the d are not the right type of d that fits into Bubba's style? Remember he did not recruit any of them.

I am wondering what is going on with Chyzyk? Has pretty good scoring touch, isn't afraid to throw his body around. Unless he hasn't adjusted to the speed of the college game? Watched him play with the Force and he is way more skilled offensively than St. Clair, but maybe doesn't have Colton's motor.

To summarize:

Pre-Saturday game SiouxSports board

1) I'm beginning to question Hakstol's decisions

2) You may as well hand over the MacNaughton Cup to Minnesota right now

3) I just hope we don't get blown out

4) Minnesota clearly has more talent

5) The wrong coach was let go last spring

6) This is the wrong game to start Gothberg

7) Bring out your dead

Post-Saturday game SiouxSports board:

1) Well, it still FEELS like a loss

The blind homerism on this board is just sickening at times. God forbid anyone be objective and call a spade a spade. If you are up by TWO GOALS with 9 minutes to go in the game and you TIE.....yeah....that's going to "feel" like a loss. Unless you're a complete friggin retard. Just love how so many are "well, we didn't get swept, and we had a good effort Sat, so that's enough"! Get real. This was just another piss poor performance by the Messiah's team in a big game. Except this time, you homers can't use the "hot goalie" excuse, now can ya?

• Upvote 3

I am wondering what is going on with Chyzyk? Has pretty good scoring touch, isn't afraid to throw his body around. Unless he hasn't adjusted to the speed of the college game? Watched him play with the Force and he is way more skilled offensively than St. Clair, but maybe doesn't have Colton's motor.

Been wondering the same thing. Bryn looked decent when he saw the ice early on. Heard a rumor here in Fargo from some Force " in the know" fans. His not playing isn't hockey related I heard but rumor why sounded little strange.