SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MINNESOTA - Saturday, one last dance....

AZSIOUX

NCAA hockey may have started in 1948 but college hockey started before that. If the NCAA went away and was replaced by another organization does that mean all NCAA records go away?

You can spin this anyway you want, the fact remains, that UND only counts NCAA games not Club hockey games.

And don't get me started on Lucia-pet.

What he said makes perfect sense. He didn't want to sit around twittling his thumbs waiting for UND to figure out their nickname while programs like BC and Notre Dame filled their schedules. And don't even try to bring up Wisconsin as they have a LOT more flexibility in their schedule so it was very easy for them to hold space open.

What he said makes perfect sense. He didn't want to sit around twittling his thumbs waiting for UND to figure out their nickname while programs like BC and Notre Dame filled their schedules. And don't even try to bring up Wisconsin as they have a LOT more flexibility in their schedule so it was very easy for them to hold space open.

Right

NCAA Hockey officially started during the 1947-48 season. The wins the Gophers had against UND up that point don't count, not for NCAA records.

The gophers basically will count anything,; club wins, exhibitions, scrimmages, skates with the local squirt team, anything....hell they hung a banner for a rec league.

Suprised they dont play tuesday nighr church league justto overcome banner envy.

• Upvote 2

Lou Nanne just on KFAN, --says after 3 years UND should player MN every year. --This is the best rivalry for 50 years in college hockey. (in response to host asking if it was big just because this was the last year they would play for a while) --Lou said that's not it, it's huge every year. example, the atmosphere up in GF every year.

• Upvote 2

Regarding Bjugstad, I do believe he is one of the 2 best players in college hockey this year for sure. His points aren't showing it because he's basically molested by other opponents, but what he does while on the ice to control play on most of his shifts is unreal. It would be very hard to find someone in college hockey that can control play and be as dominant as he is. Gaudreau is probably the only other player that can be put up there with Bjugstad, IMO.

Lou Nanne just on KFAN, --says after 3 years UND should player MN every year. --This is the best rivalry for 50 years in college hockey. (in response to host asking if it was big just because this was the last year they would play for a while) --Lou said that's not it, it's huge every year. example, the atmosphere up in GF every year.

What does Lou Nanne know? Jeff Dubay says its over forever. Won't ever be the same.

Regarding Bjugstad, I do believe he is one of the 2 best players in college hockey this year for sure. His points aren't showing it because he's basically molested by other opponents, but what he does while on the ice to control play on most of his shifts is unreal. It would be very hard to find someone in college hockey that can control play and be as dominant as he is. Gaudreau is probably the only other player that can be put up there with Bjugstad, IMO.

Sorry but I disagree. Bjugstad has the potential but hasn't shown it consistently. With Ambroz, Budish, and even Issackson Minnesota has big boys this year with Bjugstad being the biggest. These guys do the molesting and not getting molested as you state. I was surprised that he came back this year expecting him to get pulled up by the NHL. I am constantly looking for more from Bjugstad and I seldom see it. He is still too passive most games and it looks like he tries to turn it on and off rather than playing at a high level consistently. Net result he still has potential and is not one yet one of the best players in college hockey.

He's definitely a beast any team would love to have. A rare combination of size, skill and speed.

Wrong jersey, though.

You're a Gopher fan so I can see why you may believe he is one of the two best players in the nation. He has 13 goals which is a good number but he's not even in the top 30 in the nation for assists. He is a big kid. Strong on the puck and can play. But he is way too inconsistent. I still think it's too early to tell who the top players are right now. And if the kid is that good, he would be good enough to fight off of checks. Plenty of other players are getting the job done, putting goals on the board and helping out their team each game.

I'm a die hard Sioux hockey fan but I do believe this season Minn, on paper, is a bit better & deeper. That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean UND can't beat them though (heck, with just a little puck luck we had them beat Sat in OT hitting two pipes) if we meet them down the line later this season. But even if you believe the two teams are even/real close, the Sioux would be hard pressed to finish ahead of the Goofers this season in the WCHA and rankings. Two points:

1. Currently, the top 5 teams points-wise in the WCHA are Minn, St. Cloud, UND, Omaha & Denver.

The Goofers play ONLY 2 games on the road vs just 1 (St. Cloud) of these 4 teams this season. Meanwhile, The Sioux play 8 games on the road against ALL 4 of these teams. Granted, conf scheduling & unpredictability year to year is out of their control, but that's a nice conf schedule break for Minn this season.

2. To date, Minn has played 8 games against teams currently in the top 20 Pairwise rankings. Of those 8 games, ONLY 1 game has been on the road (Mankato). That's a great opportunity for pretty good home cooking for the Goofers. Meanwhile, the Sioux have played 11 games against teams currently in the top 20 Pairwise rankings. Of those 11 games, 7 have been on the road. Makes for a much tougher schedule so far. Hopefully, it makes them stronger for a playoff run.

You're a Gopher fan so I can see why you may believe he is one of the two best players in the nation. He has 13 goals which is a good number but he's not even in the top 30 in the nation for assists. He is a big kid. Strong on the puck and can play. But he is way too inconsistent. I still think it's too early to tell who the top players are right now. And if the kid is that good, he would be good enough to fight off of checks. Plenty of other players are getting the job done, putting goals on the board and helping out their team each game.

I'm a UND fan and I agree with that post. He reminds me a lot of David Backes (although Backes didn't have the talent surrounding him). If anyone can remember, Backes had some nice games against UND also.

I'm a UND fan and I agree with that post. He reminds me a lot of David Backes (although Backes didn't have the talent surrounding him). If anyone can remember, Backes had some nice games against UND also.

Groan...wasn't Backes on the Maverick team that swept the Sioux in Mankato? I think I remember that particular road trip...the only GOOD part about it was the visit to Mettler's after the Saturday game! :love:

Groan...wasn't Backes on the Maverick team that swept the Sioux in Mankato? I think I remember that particular road trip...the only GOOD part about it was the visit to Mettler's after the Saturday game! :love:

You might be thinking about the Shane Joseph/Grant Stephenson MSU-M team around '02 or '03...That's the only time I remember being in Mankato on the wrong end of a sweep.

You might be thinking about the Shane Joseph/Grant Stephenson MSU-M team around '02 or '03...That's the only time I remember being in Mankato on the wrong end of a sweep.

That sounds about right...forgot the players...can't forget the pregnant stripper in the bikini at Mettler's (and yes, true story)...

• Upvote 1

Yep, for completely non-homer reporting on the Packers, siouxvikes heads over to www.vikings.com and for unbiased opinions on the Republican Party, he reads thedailykos.

This is the quote that I thought was a fair and accurate analogy. Sorry for the confusion Mafiaman. Please accept my apologies.