SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MINNESOTA - Saturday, one last dance....

AZSIOUX

Yep, and I think the Forbort-Schmaltz pairing was something like -4.

That was definitely UND's worst pairing throughout the series. They were getting pushed around the ice by the Minnesota forwards instead of doing the pushing.

What I thought was interesting, and mentioned it right away on Saturday night before it got buried in the game thread, was both Wilcox and Gothberg had .927 save percentages going into the game. That being said, Wilcox is getting rave reviews while people weren't too pysched about Zane going into the weekend. The GAA for both was quite different in favor of Wilcox, which just goes to show that our defense isn't at the same level as Minnesota's.

Yeah, Wilcox has seen a lot more action, but if Gothberg had seen more play to this point, who knows how his development would have continued throughout the course of the year. Zane has some pretty nice accomplishments as an incoming goalie and I wouldn't mind seeing him a lot more down the stretch.

I do still have confidence in Clarke. There's a lot of season left and he's done some good things so far. I'm not going to grade his entire year on a couple off weekends.

What I thought was interesting, and mentioned it right away on Saturday night before it got buried in the game thread, was both Wilcox and Gothberg had .927 save percentages going into the game. That being said, Wilcox is getting rave reviews while people weren't too pysched about Zane going into the weekend. The GAA for both was quite different in favor of Wilcox, which just goes to show that our defense isn't at the same level as Minnesota's.

Yeah, Wilcox has seen a lot more action, but if Gothberg had seen more play to this point, who knows how his development would have continued throughout the course of the year. Zane has some pretty nice accomplishments as an incoming goalie and I wouldn't mind seeing him a lot more down the stretch.

I do still have confidence in Clarke. There's a lot of season left and he's done some good things so far. I'm not going to grade his entire year on a couple off weekends.

I assume you are referring to the graphic shown before the game on FSN? Well I saw that as well, and my first reaction was that it was incorrect so I double checked. Going into Saturday's game, Gothberg had an 89.7 save percentage, not 92.7 like it was shown.

I assume you are referring to the graphic shown before the game on FSN? Well I saw that as well, and my first reaction was that it was incorrect so I double checked. Going into Saturday's game, Gothberg had an 89.7 save percentage, not 92.7 like it was shown.

Ha, yeah, I'm busted I guess. I did see it on FSN, and you are correct now that I look. Darn you FSN!

is there any particular reason that in two out of und's last three games they have ony had one pp each game? is it something the players are or aren't doing? they one one against cc on sat night and one against the gophers on sat night.

I have a theory.

is there any particular reason that in two out of und's last three games they have ony had one pp each game? is it something the players are or aren't doing? they one one against cc on sat night and one against the gophers on sat night.

They aren't sustaining offensive zone pressure and drawing penalties????

The way I see things

I am trying not to convince myself that I just don't get it and that there are things I am misperceiving and not understanding. The reasons for this lie in the fact that there are about a half dozen notable things that I have been seeing both last night and recently in Sioux games and I don't see others mentioning similar things. I am going to throw them all out like a drunk pukes at 1:43am on a Sat morning. I am probably off base on most of them so be gentle...

1. Saunders vs Gothberg; as I mentioned last week I feel that Gothberg is the clear choice between the two based on performance and how I see them in net. Saunders seems to struggle to handle fast play and traffic around the net. He seems to move a bit slow, struggle with rebounds and not have a good glove. I feel like we gave him a good solid half season + but he has not inspired me in any way and so far I like Gothbergs movement and poise. Having said this I think Saunders played about his best game for the first to periods on Friday. Again, my feelings on the goalie situation are based on how I see them move not on the GAA.

2. Rowney. I cannot believe that people are not discussing Rowney's play more. Again I mentioned this last week. First the good: Rowney in my opinion is our teams best defensive forward, as well as penalty Killer and his fore checking is top notch. He is also one of our strongest skaters taking the puck up ice. Now the bad, the game gets to fast for him past the circles in our offensive zone. There his ability to capture a puck, move with the puck, adjust the puck in his space or pass the puck are all very subpar. He also makes very costly mistakes when he tries to get fancy with the puck. He has had several mess-ups this year which have directly led to us being scored on.

Given all of this very real assessment, I cannot understand why he is on a scoring line. I realize that he had success last year with Parks and McMillan but I think that was more about Parks and McMillan than him. I think he should be on a physical, checking line. Moving him would not only put him in his fit but also create the perfect spot for Grimaldi centering Parks and McMillan. I must mention that I saw Rowney have a very good game last night. I just think his skill set is bes suited as a checking line player and that is where he would have his best chance at superstardom.

3. Attack vs sit back. I would love for some hard core Sioux fan who has all of the games recorded do a little review of the last four games vs Minnesota. I think there is a gem of information hidden there, could be wrong but I think I have something, first a quick review: Let's start at the Final 5 championship game where Minnesota was in solid control of the game for about the first 30-35min and they had a lead to show for it. If you remember the Sioux absolutely reversed the momentum of the game at the end of the second period and took it to the Gophers. Next, recall the NCAA regional championship game where Minnesota soundly beat us. Then recall Friday's game where it was a very conservative game until the third where Minnesota again dominated in the wake of more puck fumbles than I have seen from our team in 10 years. Finally last night where we seemed to control play until we got a lead and then Minnesota would control play to take the lead away. At which time we would again take over control.

So now let me make an argument for what I believe I have seen as a stark difference in the way the Sioux play in their defensive zone through neutral ice which directly correlates to these above mentioned momentum swings. In all of the instances over the last four games where the Sioux have dominated Minnesota they were very aggressively attacking the opponent that had the puck. I remember it as relentless confident charging down ice that would create havoc for the opponent with the puck. It was as if Minnesota's charge was getting perpetually run over by a heard of buffalo. Now recall the times we were getting it taken to us (aside from moments of puck fumbling sloppiness) in all four games when Minnesota controlled momentum was when our guys would be playing conservative and doing the skate backwards ahead of the Gopher attack, then in the zone we would play position against their blue-liners and not go out to challenge them.

I remember last year saying to myself during the NCAA game vs Minnesota, "Why are we playing back and not attacking? We have not done that all year. It is not our game. It is the wrong thing to do if for no other reason than we have not played that way so we have not become team-wise proficient at it" It's kind of like the 87 Vikings switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in the play-offs in a year when their defense was so successful. Why? Play your game! Anyway, I could be wrong especially because I hear no one else talking about it but I really feel like there is something to this.

4. High risk passing attempts, often through a defender in the defensive zone. My Sioux loving friend and I had a record number of "Why" blurt outs this weekend as Sioux players would attempt a pass that had seemingly no chance of making it to its target as the pass was traveling through a defenders space. What happened to the chip up the boards method we used the last two years so successfully? Do what you have to do to get it out and make sure you don't lose possession. Bring back the drop back pass in both zones. Be fancy in the offensive zone cause your good at it.

5. Nick Bjugstad. I keep reading about the Gophers defense and how they are the reason the Gophers are doing so well or I have heard about Zack Budish. Well I can't get Bjugstad out of my head. Holly crap that dude is like Matt Greene with Travis Zajac's skills. I don't think I have ever seen a big guy play like that in my life. He is that team in my opinion. but that's just me?

In regard to number 3....totally agree!!!!

The way I see things

I am trying not to convince myself that I just don't get it and that there are things I am misperceiving and not understanding. The reasons for this lie in the fact that there are about a half dozen notable things that I have been seeing both last night and recently in Sioux games and I don't see others mentioning similar things. I am going to throw them all out like a drunk pukes at 1:43am on a Sat morning. I am probably off base on most of them so be gentle...

1. Saunders vs Gothberg; as I mentioned last week I feel that Gothberg is the clear choice between the two based on performance and how I see them in net. Saunders seems to struggle to handle fast play and traffic around the net. He seems to move a bit slow, struggle with rebounds and not have a good glove. I feel like we gave him a good solid half season + but he has not inspired me in any way and so far I like Gothbergs movement and poise. Having said this I think Saunders played about his best game for the first to periods on Friday. Again, my feelings on the goalie situation are based on how I see them move not on the GAA.

2. Rowney. I cannot believe that people are not discussing Rowney's play more. Again I mentioned this last week. First the good: Rowney in my opinion is our teams best defensive forward, as well as penalty Killer and his fore checking is top notch. He is also one of our strongest skaters taking the puck up ice. Now the bad, the game gets to fast for him past the circles in our offensive zone. There his ability to capture a puck, move with the puck, adjust the puck in his space or pass the puck are all very subpar. He also makes very costly mistakes when he tries to get fancy with the puck. He has had several mess-ups this year which have directly led to us being scored on.

Given all of this very real assessment, I cannot understand why he is on a scoring line. I realize that he had success last year with Parks and McMillan but I think that was more about Parks and McMillan than him. I think he should be on a physical, checking line. Moving him would not only put him in his fit but also create the perfect spot for Grimaldi centering Parks and McMillan. I must mention that I saw Rowney have a very good game last night. I just think his skill set is bes suited as a checking line player and that is where he would have his best chance at superstardom.

3. Attack vs sit back. I would love for some hard core Sioux fan who has all of the games recorded do a little review of the last four games vs Minnesota. I think there is a gem of information hidden there, could be wrong but I think I have something, first a quick review: Let's start at the Final 5 championship game where Minnesota was in solid control of the game for about the first 30-35min and they had a lead to show for it. If you remember the Sioux absolutely reversed the momentum of the game at the end of the second period and took it to the Gophers. Next, recall the NCAA regional championship game where Minnesota soundly beat us. Then recall Friday's game where it was a very conservative game until the third where Minnesota again dominated in the wake of more puck fumbles than I have seen from our team in 10 years. Finally last night where we seemed to control play until we got a lead and then Minnesota would control play to take the lead away. At which time we would again take over control.

So now let me make an argument for what I believe I have seen as a stark difference in the way the Sioux play in their defensive zone through neutral ice which directly correlates to these above mentioned momentum swings. In all of the instances over the last four games where the Sioux have dominated Minnesota they were very aggressively attacking the opponent that had the puck. I remember it as relentless confident charging down ice that would create havoc for the opponent with the puck. It was as if Minnesota's charge was getting perpetually run over by a heard of buffalo. Now recall the times we were getting it taken to us (aside from moments of puck fumbling sloppiness) in all four games when Minnesota controlled momentum was when our guys would be playing conservative and doing the skate backwards ahead of the Gopher attack, then in the zone we would play position against their blue-liners and not go out to challenge them.

I remember last year saying to myself during the NCAA game vs Minnesota, "Why are we playing back and not attacking? We have not done that all year. It is not our game. It is the wrong thing to do if for no other reason than we have not played that way so we have not become team-wise proficient at it" It's kind of like the 87 Vikings switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in the play-offs in a year when their defense was so successful. Why? Play your game! Anyway, I could be wrong especially because I hear no one else talking about it but I really feel like there is something to this.

4. High risk passing attempts, often through a defender in the defensive zone. My Sioux loving friend and I had a record number of "Why" blurt outs this weekend as Sioux players would attempt a pass that had seemingly no chance of making it to its target as the pass was traveling through a defenders space. What happened to the chip up the boards method we used the last two years so successfully? Do what you have to do to get it out and make sure you don't lose possession. Bring back the drop back pass in both zones. Be fancy in the offensive zone cause your good at it.

5. Nick Bjugstad. I keep reading about the Gophers defense and how they are the reason the Gophers are doing so well or I have heard about Zack Budish. Well I can't get Bjugstad out of my head. Holly crap that dude is like Matt Greene with Travis Zajac's skills. I don't think I have ever seen a big guy play like that in my life. He is that team in my opinion. but that's just me?

1. I'm not sure Gothberg played his best game.....but I do see him as a better option than Saunders. I felt the Gophers played much better on Saturday than Friday, they simply didn't get as lucky (or should I say UND didn't get as unlucky).

2. I felt Rowney played a lot better this past weekend, however, he has still been pretty non-existent all season. We need him to hit the stat sheet.

3. I don't even have he energy to respond to this one...you are correct though. That Saturday game still has me so upset. All you people were mad at the Friday effort but I felt they played ok, they simply got so unlucky. The Saturday game was so much worse. They played so good for 50 minutes then had a full blown melt down. Our defense is SO overrated. Everyone of our dman played terrible except Simpson. Forbert needs to figure it out. I almost wanted to jump out there for him.

4. Not sure about this.....they barely gave up any odd man rushes. (Although the Goofs seemed to capitalized on everyone).

5. Yes, he is by far and away the best college hockey player in the country....now one can argue that. He is an NHL player playing college hockey. But he can be contained (ex. Saturday night). You can't stop him but you can contain him. FYI, their defense was awesome...I lost count on their blocked shots early each game.

Had the gophs scored on the play Rowney was tripped on I would have blown a gasket.....my wife hates me enough during games, it might have cost me my marriage.

I saw that play in question and said, if that play ends up in a score, I might have stroke. I thought officiating was a little questionable. The play were MacMillan is slashed and then he slashes the Gopher player was weak, because the ref should have called both.

1. I'm not sure Gothberg played his best game.....but I do see him as a better option than Saunders. I felt the Gophers played much better on Saturday than Friday, they simply didn't get as lucky (or should I say UND didn't get as unlucky).

2. I felt Rowney played a lot better this past weekend, however, he has still been pretty non-existent all season. We need him to hit the stat sheet.

3. I don't even have he energy to respond to this one...you are correct though. That Saturday game still has me so upset. All you people were mad at the Friday effort but I felt they played ok, they simply got so unlucky. The Saturday game was so much worse. They played so good for 50 minutes then had a full blown melt down. Our defense is SO overrated. Everyone of our dman played terrible except Simpson. Forbert needs to figure it out. I almost wanted to jump out there for him.

4. Not sure about this.....they barely gave up any odd man rushes. (Although the Goofs seemed to capitalized on everyone).

5. Yes, he is by far and away the best college hockey player in the country....now one can argue that. He is an NHL player playing college hockey. But he can be contained (ex. Saturday night). You can't stop him but you can contain him. FYI, their defense was awesome...I lost count on their blocked shots early each game.

Is this serious?

He's a good player, but SO incredibly inconsistent. He disappears for stretches of a season, and I'm not just talking about a game or two, and I cannot call a guy the best player in the country if they do that. I think he's kind of overrated, to be honest.

To me its getting annoying to sit there and wait for the guy to shoot, challenge him and try to block the shot and get guys in front of the goalie, how many teams have done this and we can't get any through on a "hot" goalie.

Lines for the next game, HAKSTOL, for once put Rocco on that top line and see what happenes!!!!!!!

Knight-Rocco, Kristo

Mark- Parks, Drake

Rowney- Mitch, St. Clair

Pattyn- Rodwell, Gaarder or Seinbal

Or

Knight- Mark, Kristo

Rocco- Parks, Drake I want to see that line if Hak doesn't want to put Rocco on the first line, Parks can match Roccos speed

Rowney- Mitch, St. Clair, this could be a 75% checking 25% scoring line, I like how St. Clair plays, it looks like he's always working, he just needs to make better passes sometimes.

Pattyn- Rodwell, Gaarder or Seinkbal. Pattyn and Rocco Do Not belong on the same line. I want to know what Hak was thinking

• Upvote 1

In my humble opinion, having watched Gothberg in college and in Juniors, I think his glove side or weak side needs work, He also goes down to fast. I do think he has improved a lot this year but he's definitely the number two goalie right now. I think some are a bit hard on Clarke Saunders... His numbers are pretty good compared to Aaron Dells at this time last better. I think positionally, Saunders is better but he also has some issues short side as well.

Bjugstad is good but, I think Corban Knight is one of the best players in college hockey right now.

• Upvote 1

That I'm a 'friggin' retard'?

No wonder folks like PCM left this place behind...

Having met the MafiaMan, I hardly think he's a !@#$%! or a retard. I thought he was a decent person. I also have come to know PCM, who's also a solid guy as well. I wish he still posted here.