SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. UMD

AZSIOUX

i am going to compile all fri sat win loss stats under hak pre and psot xmas break for those asking.. these should be pretty close to accurate but hey im human :) i will post the info in the 2012/13 season thread so we dont get off topic here

If they can't break through with a sweep this weekend, I fear they might very well end up within 1 game of

.500 by Christmas because with road games at Notre Dame, CC and Tech I don't know if a sweep is a sure thing, and Denver here could be another split. Surely the Sioux could sweep any of those weekends, but if they don't have the urgency now, will they then? Sometimes I think the team thinks it's a badge of honor to make their second half run, and that it is a given every year. We know with how tight the Pairwise gets in the second half, that there are no guarantees and it will take once coming up just shy for the fans to voice their displeasure more than they do now. I think fans have been conditioned for the second half run, which makes them accept some subpar performances the first half.

I am in the camp that says "surging" should not be part of the season plan. Not that Hak & Co actually plan it that way. Rather, I would think that they believe in their overall system, but whatever they do seems to take half-a-season to come together.

One or two seasons where they don't "surge" would kill the buzz bigtime. But, to their credit, it has not happened yet, and they've got mutliple pieces of hardware, just not the Nattie.

I am in the camp that says "surging" should not be part of the season plan. Not that Hak & Co actually plan it that way. Rather, I would think that they believe in their overall system, but whatever they do seems to take half-a-season to come together.

One or two seasons where they don't "surge" would kill the buzz bigtime. But, to their credit, it has not happened yet, and they've got mutliple pieces of hardware, just not the Nattie.

Totally agree. Whatever systems they put in place seems to take time to build from year to year, but you would think there wouldn't be that big of a learning curve with a veteran group. Hopefully we won't find out what it feels like to just miss the tourney, but just saying we haven't heard anything with the "Fire Hak" crowd compared to what it would be like in that circumstance.

I think that there is a pretty good possibility with the change in coaching staff from last year that there are some defensive system philosophy and responsibility changes. From my perspective there seems to be a lot more blindly dumping of the puck to areas where no Sioux player is present. It may be that some players are missing assignments on where they should be positioned at those points it time. The result is that there appears to be many more turnovers taking place than there should be. This is likely leading to some reduction in time of puck possession and time in the offensive zone. On the flip side, the team this year seems to be generating more grade A scoring oppotunities than they typically do this time of year. They just aren't finishing them off. I am optimistic that this team is going to hit its strice, and when it does it will be something to watch.

Totally agree. Whatever systems they put in place seems to take time to build from year to year, but you would think there wouldn't be that big of a learning curve with a veteran group. Hopefully we won't find out what it feels like to just miss the tourney, but just saying we haven't heard anything with the "Fire Hak" crowd compared to what it would be like in that circumstance.

I think it's still too early to say that there is. Everyone said in 10-11 we had a slow start because we got swept at Maine, and that group was as veteran as you could get. That team only lost 9 games all year. I think at Christmas break is when we can really determine where we are at. For all we know we could lose no more games until Christmas. (Not likely, but you get the idea).

So put me in the camp that thinks it's too early to determine if this is, in fact, another year where we need a big old surge. I'll wait until Christmas.

That said, need to put together a full weekend. No time like the present.

Totally agree. Last year's team was injured, young and pretty inexperienced. This year's team is basically the same only better goalies. Yes we lost Blood and Brock but we also added some decent players. I was hoping to come out of the gates strong. They have looked good at time but great teams can potentially dominate on any given night. UND plays so inconsistent at times that I feel really good team (BC, etc) would not have that "fear factor" of playing us at the end of the year. I am not saying that they would 100% beat us, but the biggest edge to have, I believe, is a great record.

In a team sport any time you put in new pieces, regardless of how many, you're sure to have a learning curve for everyone involved. Even the veterans have to get used to new teammates and/or new combos due to the departures and additions.

In a team sport any time you put in new pieces, regardless of how many, you're sure to have a learning curve for everyone involved. Even the veterans have to get used to new teammates and/or new combos due to the departures and additions.

I mean comparatively speaking, not as much as some other teams should have. Denver is one team I thought would struggle early because of the departure of many top guns, but they have come out of the gates strong.

Sandbagging for the dogs already? I can't see UND pull off a sweep with how their Saturday night effort has been. Not only that but as others have said...just don't see UMD dropping 4 games in a row.

oh yes. The defense was supposed to be a strength and yet has been a liability. The team takes way too many penalties and scores only 2-3 goals per game. They have their work cut out for them this weekend. Lots of areas of disappointment.

lets just say that the 40 win season of 1987 never seems to be in danger. that team never let up - from the beginning of the season until the NCAA finals were over.

That team was awesome, but college hockey is so much different now. Even just 10 years ago there were only a few teams in the country who really seemed to have a chance at winning a title. Now, most teams in the tournament in a given year could win. In 2006, look how significant it was for Holy Cross to beat Minnesota. Since then, 4's beat 1's all the time. The bottom tier teams are a lot better than they used to be. Parity is for real in NCAA hockey. Now it's just a matter of overcoming these obstacles come tournament time.

lets just say that the 40 win season of 1987 never seems to be in danger. that team never let up - from the beginning of the season until the NCAA finals were over.

They did lose eight games, including one to US International, from San Diego (I think). If there had been an internet, this group would have melted down after each and every one of them.
  • Upvote 2

They did lose eight games, including one to US International, from San Diego (I think). If there had been an internet, this group would have melted down after each and every one of them.

If memory serves, I believe they lost a couple times to CC as well, who at the time were perennial doormats.

oh yes. The defense was supposed to be a strength and yet has been a liability. The team takes way too many penalties and scores only 2-3 goals per game. They have their work cut out for them this weekend. Lots of areas of disappointment.

Yes, but even Michael Vick would agree that a cornered Bulldog is a formidable opponent!

That team was awesome, but college hockey is so much different now. Even just 10 years ago there were only a few teams in the country who really seemed to have a chance at winning a title. Now, most teams in the tournament in a given year could win. In 2006, look how significant it was for Holy Cross to beat Minnesota. Since then, 4's beat 1's all the time. The bottom tier teams are a lot better than they used to be. Parity is for real in NCAA hockey. Now it's just a matter of overcoming these obstacles come tournament time.

Stop clouding the issue with facts Adam... :)

I like the Zane Fri. and Clarke on Sat. idea. Would also be interested to see that top line with Rocco more often, and yet a part of me wants to see this team develop two high end lines and I think this means Rocco on a different line than K&K.

Kristo can't stay snakebit hitting pipes forever, once they start going in it should get Knight cranked up too. I still think that line is going to put up big numbers this year, they just haven't quite got it going yet.

Fortunately we have other guys who have been filling the net...and that goalie isn't too bad either. :)

Kristo, Knight, Rowney, and Grimaldi have not been scoring as much as I expected them too. Once they start burying a few more of their chances, this team will be fine. The defense will figure out, they are too talented and too well coached not to. I think Kristo, Knight, Rowney, Grimaldi, MacMillan and possibly Parks will be point-per-game players by years end, but they need to pick it up starting this weekend.