SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BOSTON U - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Ok. Why was everyone booing number 6?

my untrained observations? Corbin Knight seemed on fire during the first period, more than I have noticed lately. Wish he could have maintained the pace. Kristo was a man possessed, and I am not usually a Kristo fan. Anyone count the blocks and checks that Rocco made? PLEASE, don't anyone tell him that he is not a 6'3" 200lb defender that he looked like tonight. And what was with the booing #6?

defensive shell almost never works. not for a whole period.

I sat there watching thinking the same thing. Haks teams struggle to play w leads when they strictly switch to a defensive mode. My gut was uneasy when we blew the PP to start 3rd and went into the D shell. Didn't think it was going to hold a 2-1 lead.

I sat there watching thinking the same thing. Haks teams struggle to play w leads when they strictly switch to a defensive mode. My gut was uneasy when we blew the PP to start 3rd and went into the D shell. Didn't think it was going to hold a 2-1 lead.

And when the team gets to chipping the puck up the boards or off the glass instead of passing . . .

Couple other notes:

Overall I thought Zane was solid, but I know he isn't happy about the 1st goal. Even without his stick, it was glove side...soft IMO. Hit up off the top of his shoulder.

I'm a huge Gleason fan, but as many have mentioned, he really had a brutal series. Ouch... Defensively, I'd say Schmaltz is our steadiest Dman to date. This team needs consistancy on the back end before games like UAA and last night stop occuring.

Bottom line, Carter buries one of 2 point blank goal mouth chances in the early 3rd and we are all rejoicing a sweep. No way BU comes back from 3-1 with the big Mo on UND's side at that point. Our top guys have to finish and they will...at some point.

It is terribly frustrating to watch early season games year after year...at worse this squad should be 4-2. Really should be 5-1. Loss to Alaska and tie to UAA are typical results for an early season Hak team. What 1st halves of seasons under Hak do is make the 2nd half really fun to watch as all those games become sooooo much more important because of games wasted early on.

Making the NCAA tourney won't be an issue, but getting sent into someone else's barn (or close to it) as a #2 seed is always a possibility and tall order.

I know...it's "early" and in Hak, we trust.

Going to be tough series at SCSU...need 2 points for sure.

Every time WE lose the excuse is we were gassed. Not tonight! We lost because we didnt put our chances away early and turned the puck over late!

when you're gassed, you turn the puck over and miss chances.

I hear you though. BU played a pressure game- which you'd expect when you're down in the third. When they do that, you have to respond smarter. The biggest issue was the aggressive forecheck they put on our d. They put 2 forwards on the puck and the other forward pressing the weakside. When that happens, your centers have to get "dirty" in your own zone. The strong side winger has to sit at the hash in hopes of a breakout, but also to cover that point. We appear to rely almost entirely on our d in our own end, with our forwards always looking to breakout.

Parker noticed it and exploited it, as you would expect of a Hall of Fame coach. Our D, under pressure, go D to D, chip, or work individually...that results in no flow out of the dzone. Forwards need to help!!!

I hear you though. BU played a pressure game- which you'd expect when you're down in the third. When they do that, you have to respond smarter. The biggest issue was the aggressive forecheck they put on our d. They put 2 forwards on the puck and the other forward pressing the weakside. When that happens, your centers have to get "dirty" in your own zone. The strong side winger has to sit at the hash in hopes of a breakout, but also to cover that point. We appear to rely almost entirely on our d in our own end, with our forwards always looking to breakout.

Parker noticed it and exploited it, as you would expect of a Hall of Fame coach. Our D, under pressure, go D to D, chip, or work individually...that results in no flow out of the dzone. Forwards need to help!!!

Good analysis. Yes, the D were guilty of some miscues, but they have been very very good in their zone this year so far. Hak will bring them along--he's a fabulous program coach. I think this year will tell us how far he has come as a game coach.

Schmaltz is as far along as a freshman as any D the Sioux have had for a long time IMO

You also have to like the way BU plays the game.

You also have to like the way BU plays the game.

Agree...was a great series to watch. It's the way college hockey should be played. Would love to see more top end east teams come to Ralph down the road.

Parker said the team that played better won both nights...hard to argue with that.

Agree...was a great series to watch. It's the way college hockey should be played. Would love to see more top end east teams come to Ralph down the road.

Parker said the team that played better won both nights...hard to argue with that.

Agree 100% That was HOCKEY. Both teams in both games...the team that executed won. Just like the NCAA tourney...both also have quite a few freshman that will not be freshmen in March/April

And when the team gets to chipping the puck up the boards or off the glass instead of passing . . .

And on the forecheck they kept one forward on the top of the circles quite often instead of having all 3 cycle the puck low. Keep doing what got ya the lead and play to win and not lose the game.

I'm still excited about this group. They have skills and speed across the board we haven't seen in a while, and I do think they work hard. It will be intresting to see who emerges as a real team leader on the ice.

This is not the 2010 team by any means skill wise. I see an average und team for the most part with a few spectacular players here and there. The majority of these guys would have been a healthy scratch on that 2010 team and other really good Sioux teams of recent memory. There are too many young kind of skilled forwards who have a long ways to go before this team can even be called really good by und standards.

This is not the 2010 team by any means skill wise. I see an average und team for the most part with a few spectacular players here and there. The majority of these guys would have been a healthy scratch on that 2010 team and other really good Sioux teams of recent memory. There are too many young kind of skilled forwards who have a long ways to go before this team can even be called really good by und standards.

let alone the Zajac, Stafford, Oshie, Toews team- that is 4 of our top 6 that are top 6 in the NHL now

Great analysis. This is what happened against Anchorage last week that almost cost them in the third period. The Gleason play epitomized what was happening. I think he should have went to the old tried and true "when in doubt chip it out" method with his outlets feet stuck in concrete, but tried to make a one on one play and it cost them.

Good goaltending from BU, but if UND buries one of the great chances they had to go up 3-1, I think they steal that game.

Doesn't take a hall of fame coach to notice it. Shyiak made similar moves last week and again our top 2 lines who are getting most of the icetime at that point in the game did not adjust.

I can see why Danny wants to shoot the puck so often though, no one can bury his fabulous setups.

He has been awesome drawing double attention to himself with some nice cross ice moves, then passing backdoor- He has set up Knight with 2 gimmes that Knighter just couldn't bury. He also set up Rowney that way once.

He has been firing just high too...

Doesn't take a hall of fame coach to notice it. Shyiak made similar moves last week and again our top 2 lines who are getting most of the icetime at that point in the game did not adjust.

Agree, but the Hall of Fame coach exploited it and his team won the game. :) edit: Dominated play most of the third and won the game

"Hot goalie" apologia anyone?

That's what Schlossman went with this morning, no big surprise there. :silly: I know everyone else on here loves the guy, but I just don't think he's all that great of a writer. His biggest contribution to our program is the online content he provides; it's better than what some big-city newspapers provide.

Hak didn't use the "hot goalie" excuse last night and neither should anyone else. We had a 2-1 lead with 5 minutes left at home and we trickled it down our legs. Thankfully it's November and not March and we might learn something from this.