SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. UAA - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

One thing that worries me a bit is pattyns tendency to look for the hit instead of the puck..

It cost him twice last night, once in each end, that I saw.

Was it Pattyn who completely missed both the hit and an opportunity to get the puck in the O zone?

I think the officials conference had to do with the fact that they are only allowed the overhead angle (I believe this is still the rule, correct me if I'm wrong) to look at the play so they really had no chance to see if the puck was played with a high stick from the video. So in order to make the correct call they all got together to ensure no one saw a potential high stick. I guess it made it difficult on them because the entire state of Alaska was calling for a high stick on the play. :lol:

In the end it really wasn't close. I was feeling bad for Anchorage until I slowed it down on my DVR and saw that the puck was like a foot away from Knight's stick.

I've been very impressed with his play so far as well.

Rodwell also played like a man wanting to make sure he plays 40+ games this year-

I also noticed that we appeared to lay-off some of the heavy corner and end board physical play- it almost looked as if we were more concerned with the potential for penalties and therefore took our foot off the accelerator in the heavy impact zones.

I like keeping Rocco on a separate line from Knight and Kristo, but then putting him up there if we need to put on serious offensive pressure.

I thought Gaarder looked a little out of place- his positioning was odd to me. He kept hanging around the slot, but then he'd chase the puck-

Along those same lines, I've seen MInnesota do a lot of this, and AA did it last night- pass to open ice based on positional play and anticipation. We tend to wait to see the man and the tape before we pass. I like passing to open ice in the offensive zone, obviously in our own end, we have to be more careful with the puck.

Anyone have a clue as to what the referee convention was all about on that goal review- it looked like a no brainer from where I was.

Rocco is just unbelievable- we have in him a dynamic player in that Parise/Oshie skill level. I had heard the scouting report was he was likened to Brian Gionta- I believe it.

They only had one angle I guess the overhead and they wanted to make sure that they got the call right. It looks like the puck hit the UAA player/glove.

I followed the 2011 NHL draft (Rocco's draft) fairly closely, one tidbit that I heard that was interesting was that among many other things, Grimaldi supposedly had the best one-timer in the draft. I have never seen it, and if it is that good maybe we should incorporate it into our Powerplay a little more perhaps.

Anyone else wonder why UND's defensemen can't seem to one-time a puck. They all seem to receive, hold, hold, hold, allow the defense to get aligned for a block, hold, hold, and then fire it into a defender.

Two things:

1. Either the pass is not in a good place for a one timer or

2. They are trying to set up a screen

We all know the one timer works best when you are forcing the goalie to move laterally and he hasn't the time to get into good position...I haven't seen that tee'd up very well. I also don't think it is very common in a cycle type offense, unless the d pinches.

I think the officials conference had to do with the fact that they are only allowed the overhead angle (I believe this is still the rule, correct me if I'm wrong) to look at the play so they really had no chance to see if the puck was played with a high stick from the video. So in order to make the correct call they all got together to ensure no one saw a potential high stick. I guess it made it difficult on them because the entire state of Alaska was calling for a high stick on the play. :lol:

In the end it really wasn't close. I was feeling bad for Anchorage until I slowed it down on my DVR and saw that the puck was like a foot away from Knight's stick.

Exactly right. The rule was put in to play so that all the arenas around the WCHA would be consistent. Of course not all buildings televise their games but they are required to have the overhead cam and that is the only one to be used for review. And I agree the officials were asking the linesmen if anyone saw a high stick before allowing the goal.

Anyone else wonder why UND's defensemen can't seem to one-time a puck. They all seem to receive, hold, hold, hold, allow the defense to get aligned for a block, hold, hold, and then fire it into a defender.

Kind of miss that Genoway guy, you know?

The boys practice going "bar down" so all of that iron is literally missing by a half an inch. I have no doubt more of those go in by year end.

As for Danny, you have to take what they give you too. No point in going Brian Boitano out there and losing the puck. He is at least in position, one on one, to try and make something happen. By the way, one on one, good defense should win that most of the time. Also, he is deceptively fast...don't let the easy stride fool you. Lastly, he does have a rocket release from full stride- he just needs to hit his spots instead of iron or high.

Rocco can finish, he's got 2 goals in 4 games- I predict we see 20 goals and 50 points out of him this year

Heard some of the boys tore up "gillys" friday nite...

dont shoot the messenger

Funny you should mention that, I was talking to my nephew who was at the Saturday game and I mentioned how the play always seems better on Fridays than Saturdays and his exact words were "That's because they party all night after the game, it was like that when I was here 20 years ago and it still is."

His opinion but probably a lot of truth there.

Funny you should mention that, I was talking to my nephew who was at the Saturday game and I mentioned how the play always seems better on Fridays than Saturdays and his exact words were "That's because they party all night after the game, it was like that when I was here 20 years ago and it still is."

His opinion but probably a lot of truth there.

20 years ago, eh? If we need to know, we have an eye witness standing on the bench.

Greg Johnson was in that group, and I don't think he was a big partier.

Tearing it up to me assumes heavy drinking. I would be SHOCKED if that is happening after all the suspensions. If it is, there is a serious problem in that locker room.

If they went out after the game and had say a single beer or better yet, club soda- I think that is fine. I would guess they have a midnight curfew on game nights.