SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

That makes 28 signed players and a grey shirt . I assume we can only sign one more player. I am sure we will never have a year again where we sign so many JC kids. This is a unique year and hopefully it won't happen again. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do . I hope it works out.

What other teams? Our peers in the upper midwest haven't been successful that way.

I don't think the UND philosophy has been bad. Unless you are in transition, JUCOs should be a very small part of the roster. If a few JUCOs contribute every couple of years that's great.

The transition is over for this program. They have, and should continue to build mostly with freshmen. The roster holes we are seeing should be an anomaly. I would doubt we would continue to see a high volume of JUCOs as we move forward.

NDSU had a lot of success with jucos when they needed them. Recently they were able to rely on good recruiting. For a while there they were filling holes with jucos just like us.

That makes 28 signed players and a grey shirt . I assume we can only sign one more player. I am sure we will never have a year again where we sign so many JC kids. This is a unique year and hopefully it won't happen again. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do . I hope it works out.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Lyons will be with the team in the fall.

We need JUCOs. If we played with mostly freshmen, and won only one or two games, everyone would be pissed and complaining then.

This is simply a way to make-up for the all the players that left, and well, also the horrible makeup of this team via Mussman.

If we win, then this is what we should do. It's all about winning.

I agree that recruiting is the main source of success when it comes to college football, but development is very very important. If this staff can develop players, which I think they can do through passion and dedication to UND, then UND will finally be successful. Key to FCS football is recruiting players that had interest from FBS schools but weren't quite good enough, and then turning those players into big-time DI football players.

NDSU had a lot of success with jucos when they needed them. Recently they were able to rely on good recruiting. For a while there they were filling holes with jucos just like us.

If by "a lot of success" you mean more JUCOs on the roster during transition, then a couple of contributors every couple of years after transition, then I agree. And that's exactly what it should be for UND IMHO.

If by "a lot of success" you mean more JUCOs on the roster during transition, then a couple of contributors every couple of years after transition, then I agree. And that's exactly what it should be for UND IMHO.

Jucos should never be the foundation. They should fill holes created by attrition. NDSU did it right recently. Bubba seems to be doing it right now.

Jucos should never be the foundation. They should fill holes created by attrition. NDSU did it right recently. Bubba seems to be doing it right now.

I can think of a couple of JUCO's that have made significant contributions to NDSU over the past 6 or 7 years (Pike and Gatlin), and neither were starters. I can't think of any FBS transfers that have contributed at all. It seems that FBS transfers are generally either trouble makers or not as good as advertised. I am not sold on King Frazier making much of a contribution at NDSU. Is going to transfers (JUCO or FBS) to go from a 4 win team to maybe a 5 or 6 win team worth it if it disrupts the locker room with bad attitudes?

I can think of a couple of JUCO's that have made significant contributions to NDSU over the past 6 or 7 years (Pike and Gatlin), and neither were starters. I can't think of any FBS transfers that have contributed at all. It seems that FBS transfers are generally either trouble makers or not as good as advertised. I am not sold on King Frazier making much of a contribution at NDSU. Is going to transfers (JUCO or FBS) to go from a 4 win team to maybe a 5 or 6 win team worth it if it disrupts the locker room with bad attitudes?

Gatlin started his last year. There was also an LB from their first championship and one other.

They also didn't lose as many players as we did.

Gatlin started his last year. There was also an LB from their first championship and one other.

They also didn't lose as many players as we did.

Wilson was a solid starter. Pike was a backup that turned into a solid player due to injury.

Jastrom was an FBS transfer

Shepherd was a D-2 transfer

Andre Martin FCS transfer

That's a handful of recent contributors. Most did little to nothing.

Their website breaks them out nicely. As i thought, more transfers during the transition and just a few contributors every couple of years after that.

http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?roster=66&path=football

Wilson was a solid starter. Pike was a backup that turned into a solid player due to injury.

Jastrom was an FBS transfer

Shepherd was a D-2 transfer

Andre Martin FCS transfer

That's a handful of recent contributors. Most did little to nothing.

Their website breaks them out nicely. As i thought, more transfers during the transition and just a few contributors every couple of years after that.

http://www.gobison.c...6&path=football

You mean Shepherd who signed a contract with the Redskins?

You mean Shepherd who signed a contract with the Redskins?

I agree with Dan on this. Martin was in camp with the Rams. Gatlin was probably the most physically gifted corner but couldn't grasp schemes. They could line him up and he'd cover man for man however. Chad Wilson was more valuable than being a solid starter.

All in all I have no problem going the JUCO route if needed. I think where the current staff will be better than the prior is they have a philosophy in mind and I do not see them drifting from that. Under Muss, we changed offenses every year and our defense seemed to get more simple every year and lacked discipline. I see the new staff bringing in guys who are a good fit for what they want to do.

I agree with Dan on this. Martin was in camp with the Rams. Gatlin was probably the most physically gifted corner but couldn't grasp schemes. They could line him up and he'd cover man for man however. Chad Wilson was more valuable than being a solid starter.

All in all I have no problem going the JUCO route if needed. I think where the current staff will be better than the prior is they have a philosophy in mind and I do not see them drifting from that. Under Muss, we changed offenses every year and our defense seemed to get more simple every year and lacked discipline. I see the new staff bringing in guys who are a good fit for what they want to do.

I listed those guys because they are good players. I would also add Paschall to that list.

Had I wanted to list guys that didn't pan out I would have listed names like Dante Perez, Sammie Rogers, Deveon Dinwiddie, and more.

Definitely a long-shot because I think he'll go FBS, but if he does go FCS, I would definitely hope Bubba at least gives him a call. He's the kind of big-bodied physical RB we need.

Definitely a long-shot because I think he'll go FBS, but if he does go FCS, I would definitely hope Bubba at least gives him a call. He's the kind of big-bodied physical RB we need.

Yes, long shot. But I hope he at least gets a call reminding him that he can play immediately, and not lose a year of eligibility if he comes to UND

• 2 weeks later...

Three kids will be on campus this weekend - SFI has confirmed two.

Jamal Mayo, CB

http://sports.yahoo....mal-Mayo-149743

http://www.hudl.com/...9791/jamal-mayo

Mayo picked up a late offer from Hawaii and will be going there. Didn't think there was much hope for us to land him, but until the Hawaii offer I always thought it was possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Minnesota HS All Star game today at St. John's. 5 UND kids played. Reid Taubenheim kicked for South team. Had 53 yd FG and boomed all but one kickoff into end zone even those into the wind. I was sitting in Mn HS coaches Assn. Box and he caught everyone's attention. Some said he could have been South MVP. Connor Bolduc boomed his punts to sideline and all perfect spirals. Had great day. He might get his redshirt pulled if we don't have anyone better than what we saw in spring ball. Keaton Stensrud started for the North team. First pass was dropped then he completed next two but suffered hip pointer and didn't play the rest of the game. He was replaced by Michael Herzog from Detroit Lakes who threw for 246 yds and 3 TD's and ran for 67 yds. Was named North Offensive MVP. Dion Harris from Hibbing started at corner and made some good plays. Tall and slender but not afraid to hit. Will need to get stronger. Grant Aplin (PWO) had great game at guard for South. Started and went up against 2 Ag school recruits. (The kid from Alex who had a good game but Aplin held his own, and the 6' 5" kid from Delano who looks like a project and Aplin handled him.) Ezra Szczyrbak who we wanted and lost to UNI didn't look good at all. I don't know if he made a tackle. He looked like a duck out of water and had trouble following the play development. Too many times took himself out of the play by misreading the fake or play action. If he isn't any better than that we dodged a bullet. The Ag guys who said they pulled their scholarship offer on him may have been correct. The five UND kids all got together after the game for photos pretty cool. Stensrud's injury was only a hip pointer so he should be ready by this fall. In short time he was in, looked athletic and had strong accurate arm.

• Upvote 1