SiouxSports.com Forum

Who Should Get to Vote on the New Name?

watchmaker49

Keep deluding yourselves that you're going to have an option. Presuming the nickname and logo stay gone, any one of the final "popularly selected" names will have to pass the NCAA/UND Faculty sniff test. Get ready for, "Here's your University of North Dakota SUNDOG scoring!!!!!!!" For many alumni, in so "choosing," or thinking they're choosing they may experience the unique pang akin to a Benedict Arnold choosing which estate to appropriate in England circa 1784. Only, many probably won't go bankrupt. Criticize Jeanotte, Longie, and even Watchmaker all you want but they've stayed loyal to their convictions and remained resolute throughout. This is more than can be said for the enablers and the compromisers. Jeanotte and Longie are consummate racists who are hopelessly lost. Watchmaker, though I've roundly criticized him before with some considerable chagrin as to my method, actually would very likely have the capacity to employ reason and discerned judgment to shift around all of this racist trip trap that's been thrown out there. Contrast this with those who have been in the light and have helped augment and perpetuate a more sinister and inscrutable brand of racism and helped to validate the NCAA tactics through expedient disassociation and, essentially, a self-inflicted evisceration of principle itself. O'Keefe, et al advocate retirement of the nickname and logo and are still labeled "racists" by Longie and company, after all that's gone on and after all of the professed sadness at having to retire the nickname and logo? WTF? What an irresponsible, insensitive and racist slap in the face by that crowd vis-a-vis O'Keefe and Co. but that is the wage of forgoing conviction. Even at the latest hour, I still remain convinced that Hoeven etc could have been moved had people presented a unified and collective voice. The Florida delegation came through for FSU when the NCAA was skulking around that school making demands. Hoeven, Conrad and Berg, being United States Congressmen, are three of the most powerful men on planet earth and they could have done something to reign in the NCAA. Oh well, after 80+ years of tradition, UND will live on with half a heart and half a lung and the same dyspeptic whiners will label O'Keefe, Strinden, etc "racists" and this will be labeled "the healing process." Mission accomplished!!!!!

I always have to get out the dictionary to understand parts of your posts. :lol:

Keep deluding yourselves that you're going to have an option. Presuming the nickname and logo stay gone, any one of the final "popularly selected" names will have to pass the NCAA/UND Faculty sniff test. Get ready for, "Here's your University of North Dakota SUNDOG scoring!!!!!!!"

SunDog's wont be a name because it's one of the preferred logos of ANTI-NICKNAME Crowd.

It should be some combination of current and former students and faculty, the general public will have no say.

If they don't include all of these people the risk of a late-night secret naming committee producing a piece of crap will increase dramatically.

..............I still remain convinced that Hoeven etc could have been moved had people presented a unified and collective voice.

It was a 2-1 vote in favor of retirement. That seems pretty "unified and collective" to me...........................

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This is like reading a goofer blog! All the entitlement on here is sickening! "Alumni should vote and not fans" even better"not students" what a joke. You went to school there many years ago, but they can't make decisions without your input, please! If they had to change the name when you were in school, should the prior alumni been the ruling factor than and not you?

• Upvote 1

this is why we should go on without a name. this isn't an issue then. forever honor the name by leaving its absence. everyone whose a fan pretty much has thirty years worth of Sioux gear to wear anyways. let's go without a name officially and remain the Sioux in fan practice

• Upvote 1

this is why we should go on without a name. this isn't an issue then. forever honor the name by leaving its absence. everyone whose a fan pretty much has thirty years worth of Sioux gear to wear anyways. let's go without a name officially and remain the Sioux in fan practice

The 2007 settlement does not allow us to remain nameless.

It was a 2-1 vote in favor of retirement. That seems pretty "unified and collective" to me...........................

2-1 to do what was best for UND.....nothing to do with name itself....polling numbers showed 7% of people actually against the name.......just saying

I think it should be given to the students. Even all the online ones ;).

1.Without the students, there is no university to even have a nickname.

2. Also, with 14,000 students, the chances of a stupid name winning goes down compared to if you left it up to the student government or the faculty.

3. I think it should be a runoff vote or whatever where you can pick 2 or 3 options. So if your favorite choice doesn't win, your vote still ends up counting in the final between the final 2 choices. I would think this would also help prevent some stupid name from taking over(which I imagine at least one of the options will be something dumb).

Just my two cents from the Ol' Moo U as you fellas like to call us.

I doubt there will be a "vote" per se. More likely, the UND administration will assemble a "representative group" of stakeholders, including faculty, students, alums, etc., and they'll go through various exercises and iterations of names, logos, etc., and agree on something boring and generic. It'll be very corporate and very tedious.

• Upvote 1

I doubt there will be a "vote" per se. More likely, the UND administration will assemble a "representative group" of stakeholders, including faculty, students, alums, etc., and they'll go through various exercises and iterations of names, logos, etc., and agree on something boring and generic. It'll be very corporate and very tedious.

I do agree that there will be a committee formed that will eventually decide on a nickname. However, I don't think that it will be formed anytime soon as we have, by state law, till 2015 to decide on a new name. What I am hoping is there will be continuing discussion on boards like this to what they new name should be. That way in a year or two when a decision needs to be made as to what UND will have as a new name, there will be one that poeple have been talking that would be acceptable. Hopefully this committee will listen to the fans.

I think it should be given to the students. Even all the online ones ;).

1.Without the students, there is no university to even have a nickname.

2. Also, with 14,000 students, the chances of a stupid name winning goes down compared to if you left it up to the student government or the faculty.

3. I think it should be a runoff vote or whatever where you can pick 2 or 3 options. So if your favorite choice doesn't win, your vote still ends up counting in the final between the final 2 choices. I would think this would also help prevent some stupid name from taking over(which I imagine at least one of the options will be something dumb).

Just my two cents from the Ol' Moo U as you fellas like to call us.

I agree. GFC left it up to the students to vote for a new name. Its been Knights since the fall of 1994 thanks to the class of 94,95, and 96.

University of North Dakota Fighitng U. I think everyone refers UND as the "U". I don't think Miami (FL) will care.

I don't know a person who refers to UND as the U.

Even in Grand Forks, I hear Minnesota more often refered to as the "U"

When I hear the "U" up here, I think of U of M. Or Miami.

I don't know a person who refers to UND as the U.

When I hear the "U" up here, I think of U of M. Or Miami.

There are a lot of people in the Grand Forks area that call UND the U. As I said, a lot of people will call their local University the U.
  • Upvote 2