SiouxSports.com Forum

Who Should Get to Vote on the New Name?

watchmaker49

I think we should respect the cooling off period imposed by the repeal of the nickname law (which was upheld last night by a 2 to 1 margin) and just focus on the first year in the Big Sky conference and the first year of playoff eligibility. I was in favor of moving on, but I certainly am not in the mood to talk about a different name and logo.

I say just the current students (in 2014 or whenever they get rolling on a new name) vote and then it goes to the President for final approval.

Note: I am not a current student. Also, when I say a vote of current students I mean all students, not just the student government.

I say just the current students (in 2014 or whenever they get rolling on a new name) vote and then it goes to the President for final approval.

Note: I am not a current student. Also, when I say a vote of current students I mean all students, not just the student government.

I could go along with that. Just like when anyother school change their names only current students voted.

I could go along with that. Just like when anyother school change their names only current students voted.

One potential problem if just current students are involved is that they can sometimes pick things that don't translate well over time. A possible scenario would be to have a group or committee made up of students, faculty and alumni take suggestions or nominations and narrow the list down to a manageable number. That gives everyone input in the process. Take that short list to the students and let them vote on which they like best. The students would get a chance to be heard. Then turn those results over to the administration to make the final decision based on popularity and whatever other criteria they believe is important. This protects the school in case something objectionable gets through the process. The administration is ultimately responsible for the school, so they have the final word.

At Grand Forks Central, they left it up to the students. We all pooled a bunch of names together and then the list was narrowed down (of course all names had to be approved by the facuilty) then voted on by the students...the final two names was Pride and Knights. Of course Knights won by a landslide. I think it should either be just the students alone or have it be the students and alumni.

In all reality students come and go, but the fans mainly stay for life. I believe that since the state got ride of the name and the idea that most people in Grand Forks live for the college it is only right that the people on Grand Forks get the vote. Having students vote is dumb since they leave and the name stays.

At Grand Forks Central, they left it up to the students. We all pooled a bunch of names together and then the list was narrowed down (of course all names had to be approved by the facuilty) then voted on by the students...the final two names was Pride and Knights. Of course Knights won by a landslide. I think it should either be just the students alone or have it be the students and alumni.

My hometown, which is 5,000 population changed our name when I was in 5th grade. It was a vote of students from high school on down to at least middle school. Not sure if elementary students voted. We had a list of 5 names to vote from. Ironically, none of them won as there was apparently a write in campaign for another name that won out. I agree that it should be done by students. It is their school. Though I also agree alumni and others do have a stake in the university as well. I'm sure the process will be ironed out in the future.

It's not something you vote on.

We are a republic, not a democracy.

There are talented people who do this stuff for a living that UND can contract with.

Just stand up and cheer.

As long as the committee includes a SiouxSports.com representative this time... (they conspicuously lacked such on the previous "stakeholder committees", where's the voice of the fan?) I'm available via Skype.

Keep deluding yourselves that you're going to have an option. Presuming the nickname and logo stay gone, any one of the final "popularly selected" names will have to pass the NCAA/UND Faculty sniff test. Get ready for, "Here's your University of North Dakota SUNDOG scoring!!!!!!!" For many alumni, in so "choosing," or thinking they're choosing they may experience the unique pang akin to a Benedict Arnold choosing which estate to appropriate in England circa 1784. Only, many probably won't go bankrupt. Criticize Jeanotte, Longie, and even Watchmaker all you want but they've stayed loyal to their convictions and remained resolute throughout. This is more than can be said for the enablers and the compromisers. Jeanotte and Longie are consummate racists who are hopelessly lost. Watchmaker, though I've roundly criticized him before with some considerable chagrin as to my method, actually would very likely have the capacity to employ reason and discerned judgment to shift around all of this racist trip trap that's been thrown out there. Contrast this with those who have been in the light and have helped augment and perpetuate a more sinister and inscrutable brand of racism and helped to validate the NCAA tactics through expedient disassociation and, essentially, a self-inflicted evisceration of principle itself. O'Keefe, et al advocate retirement of the nickname and logo and are still labeled "racists" by Longie and company, after all that's gone on and after all of the professed sadness at having to retire the nickname and logo? WTF? What an irresponsible, insensitive and racist slap in the face by that crowd vis-a-vis O'Keefe and Co. but that is the wage of forgoing conviction. Even at the latest hour, I still remain convinced that Hoeven etc could have been moved had people presented a unified and collective voice. The Florida delegation came through for FSU when the NCAA was skulking around that school making demands. Hoeven, Conrad and Berg, being United States Congressmen, are three of the most powerful men on planet earth and they could have done something to rein in the NCAA. Oh well, after 80+ years of tradition, UND will live on with half a heart and half a lung and the same dyspeptic whiners will label O'Keefe, Strinden, etc "racists" and this will be labeled "the healing process." Mission accomplished!!!!!