SiouxSports.com Forum

Who Should Get to Vote on the New Name?

watchmaker49

It should be left in the alumni association's hands. Very disappointing in terms of establishing and maintaining solidarity for UND's Fighting Sioux nickname and even more disappointing when it came to failing to pressure ND's Congressional delegation but at least I have marginal faith that they would not allow a completely asinine and stupid nickname to be adopted. Word has it that it will be decided by only a few though there may be some show put on signifying otherwise. If it's left up to Kelley, the student body and faculty senates or, God forbid, the BRIDGES racists it will be time to pretend to get excited for some stupid weather phenomenon or some inane colour combined with a bird of prey (you know, completely original stuff) or some feeling or emotion (like the Fighting Spirit) or some description of a part of nature (like the Wild). If JTA and RHHIT are ok with Roughriders, they'll be ok with Cavalry. They should even be more comfortable with Cavalry since the Sioux, Cheyenne, etc kicked the living !@#$ out of Custer's 7th and Captain Fetterman with the Battle of the Hundred Slain.

It's the largest school in the Dakotas of course Grand Forks people refer to UND as the U.

Or do they call it the U because thats the only thing Grand Forks has inside of city limits that anyone cares about?

Either way, incorporating "U" into the nickname would be ridiculous.

Or do they call it the U because thats the only thing Grand Forks has inside of city limits that anyone cares about?

Either way, incorporating "U" into the nickname would be ridiculous.

I really don't get it when NDSU folks bash GF. Are GF and Fargo really that different? Get out of ND for a bit and take a world view of it. They are virtually part of the same city separated by about 75 miles. If you want to compare/contrast things shouldn't they be a little different, like Minneapolis and New Orleans or Phoenix and St. Louis. There you have apples and oranges. With the GF and Fargo comparison you have gala apples versus fuji apples.

• Upvote 4

I really don't get it when NDSU folks bash GF. Are GF and Fargo really that different? Get out of ND for a bit and take a world view of it. They are virtually part of the same city separated by about 75 miles. If you want to compare/contrast things shouldn't they be a little different, like Minneapolis and New Orleans or Phoenix and St. Louis. There you have apples and oranges. With the GF and Fargo comparison you have gala apples versus fuji apples.

They both have North Dakota culture. That for me, is where the similarities end.

I've often wondered the same thing. Outside of RibFest and the Red River Valley Fair being infinitely better than the Grand Forks Fair, I fail to see what Fargo has that Grand Forks does not. I think it has something to do with Grand Forks being seen as more associated with UND than Fargo is with NDSU. A UND alum living in Grand Forks can view Fargo and NDSU seperately while an NDSU alum living in Fargo sees nothing but UND when looking at Grand Forks.

I've often wondered the same thing. Outside of RibFest and the Red River Valley Fair being infinitely better than the Grand Forks Fair, I fail to see what Fargo has that Grand Forks does not. I think it has something to do with Grand Forks being seen as more associated with UND than Fargo is with NDSU. A UND alum living in Grand Forks can view Fargo and NDSU seperately while an NDSU alum living in Fargo sees nothing but UND when looking at Grand Forks.

Comparing Fargo and Grand Forks to me is like comparing Bismarck to Jamestown, or Jamestown to Valley City.

may want to change the subject now due to thread drifting.

Comparing Fargo and Grand Forks to me is like comparing Bismarck to Jamestown, or Jamestown to Valley City.

Sorry Johnboy, but you brought it up and now you'll have to deal with the consequences. If anyone is to blame for "thread drift" in this case, it is you. :angry:

This is a classic example of "Imperial Cass County Superiority Complex". I explained this in the Wal-Mart thread in the Community forum: Fargo really believes they are just like Minneapolis. The fact is, compared to "real" metro areas, they are merely the size of a suburb (like Bloomington, MN). My take on this is very simple: Fargo is a bigger version of Grand Forks, Sioux Falls is a bigger version of Fargo and Omaha is a bigger version of Sioux Falls. In other words, the only differences between the various cities I have listed are based on quantity, not quality. Some have more of the same stuff than others, but they are all very Midwestern in their cultural attitudes and beliefs. Which is why so many young people leave for places like Minneapolis, Denver and Chicago.

Back to the topic of the thread: We have several years to decide what name we should adopt, so I think we should all just chill out and focus on our first season of Big Sky membership.

So you're just comparing Granny Smith Apples to Macintosh Apples ...

• Upvote 1