SiouxSports.com Forum

How will you vote June 12th?

Siouxperfan7

Measure 4  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote?

• YES - means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.
    • NO - means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

To all of you who have bought in to the media scam that has been put forth by the University Administration and it's faculty, alumni minions: I feel sorry for you! You do not have the honor or intergrity to support anything of worth. Not defending the tribes of North Dakota shows the country just how backward and dismissable the state and it's name sake university is. For an individual to proudly post that they voted to change an important part of history with the crutch of we know better than the Indians because we are the majority and you know best because you went to school there for 5 years. You are so out of touch. This is a stand and fight issue and you have shown you are cowards that hide behind the fork-tongued words of the UND media storm that had to spend hundreds of thousands to add credence to a lie that preys on the North Dakota citizenery who are not ardent followers of the moniker issue. Lets face it the citizens of western North Dakota have other issues that occupy their time. I am insulted that I have to sit at sporting events with the likes of you who hide behind your avatars. You are no better than Minnesota Gopher Fans!

I do not hide!

Charles Drinkwine

Decendant of the Oto Indians, part of the Chiwere Tribes of lower Wisconsin. Attacked and absorbed by the Mille Lacs Chippeawa and finally settled in Manitoba as part of the Winnipeg Ojibwe clan.

Vero Beach, Florida

To all of you who have bought in to the media scam that has been put forth by the University Administration and it's faculty, alumni minions: I feel sorry for you! You do not have the honor or intergrity to support anything of worth. Not defending the tribes of North Dakota shows the country just how backward and dismissable the state and it's name sake university is. For an individual to proudly post that they voted to change an important part of history with the crutch of we know better than the Indians because we are the majority and you know best because you went to school there for 5 years. You are so out of touch. This is a stand and fight issue and you have shown you are cowards that hide behind the fork-tongued words of the UND media storm that had to spend hundreds of thousands to add credence to a lie that preys on the North Dakota citizenery who are not ardent followers of the moniker issue. Lets face it the citizens of western North Dakota have other issues that occupy their time. I am insulted that I have to sit at sporting events with the likes of you who hide behind your avatars. You are no better than Minnesota Gopher Fans!

I do not hide!

Charles Drinkwine

Decendant of the Oto Indians, part of the Chiwere Tribes of lower Wisconsin. Attacked and absorbed by the Mille Lacs Chippeawa and finally settled in Manitoba as part of the Winnipeg Ojibwe clan.

Vero Beach, Florida

You sir, have no idea what you are talking about. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Shame on you for potentially misleading undecided North Dakota voters and thus putting UND athletics in serious, long-term peril. Now please, go sit on the beach and soak up the sun. That way, you won't be able to damage this great institution. :angry:

• Upvote 1

It is most unfortunate that it has come to this ... Were I to have a vote, I don't as I now live in South Dakota, I would vote "Yes". I have long believed that the only way to keep the nickname/logo is to let it go, at least for a while ... perhaps a long while. Our brethren of Sioux ancestry would have seen that we would have gotten it back. Too bad some lame-brained Fargo politician, who never attended UND, reopened this can-of-worms with his legislation and snow-balled it right off a cliff. No disrespect to the good folk of Fargo or NDSU for that matter, many lend great support to UND.

UND had a great plan that honor the NCAA agreement, but at the same time kept the door open for a return of the nickname/logo.

• Upvote 2

Did it ever occur to you that maybe... JUST MAYBE we are against political correctness? Get over yourself already. The smug and pompous attitudes being displayed here by you and pretty much the entire "NCAA affiliation at any cost" crowd is way over the top and obnoxious beyond belief. You guys are almost making Bison zealots look tame by comparison.

Now you think that 15 Native American tribes voting against UND using the nickname is political correctness? 15 tribes in the region have said that they don't want UND using the nickname. 1 tribe has said that they want UND to use the nickname. If you want to support the honors of the tribes, wouldn't it make sense to follow the wishes of 15 tribes over 1? Not if the single tribe wants the same thing you want. Then the other 15 tribes don't matter. That makes sense for you, since the athletes and alumni of UND don't matter to you either, only what you want matters.

To 82 SiouxGuy, Sicatoka, and fightingsioux4life. Thank you for proving my point. 82 SiouxGuy adds his own spin to what others have said, and then comments on it. Sicatoka is a drama mama. Fightingsioux4life has nothing to offer but think he is talking big. You have proven that you are all minions who follow along and lack the ability to think freely. I have heard it all from UND how they have lost this and that and they will lose this and that, but when pressed for specifics they have nothing. The post season for UND athletics was not affected in any sport by the sanctions. It is scare tactics by the Three Amigos, Fiason, Kelley, and Okeefe. The moniker issue is a stand and fight situation and if you don't see that, well that is on you.

• Upvote 1

It isn't a scam. There are sanctions already in place, most of their effects have not been felt as of yet. The sanctions will have a damaging effect on the University of North Dakota. This isn't a stand and fight issue. The University loses either way. It loses more by keeping the nickname. The NCAA wins either way. UND giving up the nickname isn't going to have a major damaging effect on the tribes. Therefore, the least damaging effect is for UND to retire the name.

You people that claim this is about supporting the tribes, what about all of the other tribes that want UND to get rid of the nickname? Spirit Lake is the only tribe that supports the nickname. Every other Sioux tribe has come out against the nickname. The other non-Sioux tribes in the Great Plains Tribal Chairmen's Association have all voted against the nickname. Why doome folks just don't get it.es it seem convenient that you only support the tribe that wants the same thing as you want, and you don't support the other 15 or so tribes in the region that votes against what you want?

Some folks just don't get it. I had a hard time voting yes but I know it was the right thing to do.

I do not hide!

Charles Drinkwine

Vero Beach, Florida

You do realize that if the name is allowed to be retired, UND will still have every single Native American program and scholarship that they have today, right?

• Upvote 1

All schools on the Native American policy list had an appeal period during 2005-2006. They needed to get approval from a local tribe as a part of their appeal. They only needed approval from a single name-sake tribe. That was the same deal as Florida State, Utah, Central Michigan and the other schools that won their appeals. All schools that got approval from a name-sake tribe won their appeal. Not one school won an appeal without the tribe approval. UND couldn't get any of the tribes to provide the written approval that the NCAA wanted. http://articles.chic...-tribal-support

As I read the following link http://www.ag.nd.gov...r. Franklin.pdf which is the formal letter from the NCAA on why UND's appeal was denied. It is clear that a single namesake exemption was not applied to UND.

Page 26

"One intention of the Executive Committee policy is to listen to local Native Americans. Here, opposition by Sioux tribes near North Dakota is well documented, barring North Dakota's argument that it enjoys namesake approval."

Page 25 - lists the tribal resolutions:

Crow Creek Sioux Tribe

Rosebud Sioux Tribe

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe

Sisstan - Wahpeton Sioux Tribe

Yaukton Sioux Tribe

Board of Directors of the United Tribes of North Dakota - which include Spirit Lake Tribe

To 82 SiouxGuy, Sicatoka, and fightingsioux4life. Thank you for proving my point. 82 SiouxGuy adds his own spin to what others have said, and then comments on it. Sicatoka is a drama mama. Fightingsioux4life has nothing to offer but think he is talking big. You have proven that you are all minions who follow along and lack the ability to think freely. I have heard it all from UND how they have lost this and that and they will lose this and that, but when pressed for specifics they have nothing. The post season for UND athletics was not affected in any sport by the sanctions. It is scare tactics by the Three Amigos, Fiason, Kelley, and Okeefe. The moniker issue is a stand and fight situation and if you don't see that, well that is on you.

You might want to revisit the facts before posting. How many more specifics do you want? Thanks for posting, might want to read up on the facts before posting.

You might want to revisit the facts before posting. How many more specifics do you want? Thanks for posting, might want to read up on the facts before posting.

Why should she be any different from any of the other noobs who have come crawling out of the rocks the past few weeks?

As I read the following link http://www.ag.nd.gov...r. Franklin.pdf which is the formal letter from the NCAA on why UND's appeal was denied. It is clear that a single namesake exemption was not applied to UND.

Page 26

"One intention of the Executive Committee policy is to listen to local Native Americans. Here, opposition by Sioux tribes near North Dakota is well documented, barring North Dakota's argument that it enjoys namesake approval."

Page 25 - lists the tribal resolutions:

Crow Creek Sioux Tribe

Rosebud Sioux Tribe

Standing Rock Sioux Tribe

Sisstan - Wahpeton Sioux Tribe

Yaukton Sioux Tribe

Board of Directors of the United Tribes of North Dakota - which include Spirit Lake Tribe

UND claimed to have tribal approval. But they didn't have official tribal approval from any of the tribes during that period. 0 tribal approvals. A single tribal approval could have been used to out rank those opposed. No where in that document does it say that UND needed more than 1 approval, just that none of those tribes approved. Every school that had a successful appeal had a single official tribal approval. The NCAA would have had a very hard time turning down the UND appeal if UND had gotten that tribal approval. Denial of the appeal with an approval, when every other school with an approval having a successful appeal, would have been grounds for a lawsuit that had much greater chance of success than the lawsuit that UND ended up filing.

We will never know for sure whether UND needed more than 1 tribal approval. I believe the evidence suggests that was needed. But as I told Gothmog yesterday, it doesn't really matter any more. This is 6 years after the appeal deadline. UND couldn't get even 1 tribe to approve, so it doesn't matter how many were needed because the number was at least 1.

As much as I love our name and logo, I know our student athletes and athletic programs are more important.

• Upvote 3

Please explain to me why the Standing Rock Elders refused to consent to use of the logo by UND when it is supposedly their tribe that did the religious ceremony that gave UND the right in the first place. Either the ceremony was not religious or they have decided their fathers were stupid. They have voted in new elders since the first refusal and have not changed their stance. All arguements should start and stop right there with Standing Rock. Please take it up with them instead of lamblasting a lot of people that have to deal with the consequences of their decision.

• Upvote 1

How can you claim to support anything? You obviously do not read or understand what the other person is saying before you throw in your 1/2 cent. You make wild accusations with no support and your only retort is a mindless insult. It surprises you that Custer got his ass handed to him? If you are fans of this school, they need better fans.

• Upvote 2

Please explain to me why the Standing Rock Elders refused to consent to use of the logo by UND when it is supposedly their tribe that did the religious ceremony that gave UND the right in the first place. Either the ceremony was not religious or they have decided their fathers were stupid. They have voted in new elders since the first refusal and have not changed their stance. All arguements should start and stop right there with Standing Rock. Please take it up with them instead of lamblasting a lot of people that have to deal with the consequences of their decision.

The Standing Rock Ceremony did take place! The Elders did not oppose the moniker the last few tribal councils did. Huge difference! The pipe ceremony is similar to a constitutional amendment, you just can't change it or oppose it without the correct process. Something most moniker-change proponents do not understand because they don't listen and are always running their mouths, i.e. most of the posts on this page. Standing Rock has many problems within and the moniker issue is an attention getter. It is the same when it comes to the United Tribes. They are elected individuals that think they can circumvent tradition and policy by simply passing resolutions against it. They can drive their Sovereign Nation of the cliff just as our current president has done it to ours. Politics is not law.

• Upvote 1

The Standing Rock Ceremony did take place! The Elders did not oppose the moniker the last few tribal councils did. Huge difference! The pipe ceremony is similar to a constitutional amendment, you just can't change it or oppose it without the correct process. Something most moniker-change proponents do not understand because they don't listen and are always running their mouths, i.e. most of the posts on this page. Standing Rock has many problems within and the moniker issue is an attention getter. It is the same when it comes to the United Tribes. They are elected individuals that think they can circumvent tradition and policy by simply passing resolutions against it. They can drive their Sovereign Nation of the cliff just as our current president has done it to ours. Politics is not law.

So take your issue up with them. It's well out of UND's hands now.

• Upvote 3

The problem with the pipe ceremony is that there is not clear proof that it was actually a religious pipe ceremony. There isn't a great deal of evidence that exists about the ceremony and it is contradictory. There are people that were at the ceremony that believe it was simply a ceremony to recognize that a group from Standing Rock was trying to develop a relationship with the University of North Dakota. They don't believe it was a religious ceremony. One piece of evidence they cite is the fact that the person who was Tribal Chair in 1969 was at the ceremony, and he was also one of the Tribal Council members that first opposed the nickname in 1992.

The Tribal Council has repeatedly voted against UND using the nickname since 1992. It is up to the Standing Rock Tribe to determine which is right, whether the pipe ceremony was valid or not. Outside entities are going to follow the lead of the Tribal Council. It isn't up to the United States government, the North Dakota state government, UND or the NCAA to make those decisions. Those groups don't have a right to interpret tribal law. They have listened to the Standing Rock Tribal Council because the Tribal Council is the group authorized to speak for the tribe. That's how government works, and that's how business works. You deal with the authorized parties and follow what they tell you. The pipe ceremony didn't get any traction because of the efforts of the Tribal Council. If you don't like it, take it up with the Standing Rock Tribal Council. You will probably be met with the same silence as UND, the state of North Dakota and Archie Fool Bear have heard when they've tried to talk to the council about the nickname.

Would have been nice if you and more like you would have been around 6 years ago when the rest of us, who you so ignorantly dismiss and berate, were fighting the good hard fight in honor of the nickname and logo. Now you show up quite late to the battle only to criticize and mock those who've been in the arena carrying your water and fighting tooth and nail against the PC zealots for years. Many of us were doing this long before the NCAA's misguided policy was even a budding seed of an idea in Bernard Franklin's mind -- and not just on message boards. So, welcome, son; glad you could finally join us. Now please check your ill-informed blanket accusations at the door and maybe try to educate yourself on the very real gradual negative impacts that continuation of the nickname and logo will have on our beloved University. When you live at ground zero of the fight, like many of us who you so casually scoff at, the realities are a bit more stark than they might seem from thousands of miles away on your deck chair on Vero Beach.

Talk about Johnny Come Lately! You don't anything about me, but if it relieves your sexual tension if quess we have saved a sheep. You people are really envious of my Deck Chair, I am sure you can pick one up at Menards.

The problem with the pipe ceremony is that there is not clear proof that it was actually a religious pipe ceremony. There isn't a great deal of evidence that exists about the ceremony and it is contradictory. There are people that were at the ceremony that believe it was simply a ceremony to recognize that a group from Standing Rock was trying to develop a relationship with the University of North Dakota. They don't believe it was a religious ceremony. One piece of evidence they cite is the fact that the person who was Tribal Chair in 1969 was at the ceremony, and he was also one of the Tribal Council members that first opposed the nickname in 1992.

The Tribal Council has repeatedly voted against UND using the nickname since 1992. It is up to the Standing Rock Tribe to determine which is right, whether the pipe ceremony was valid or not. Outside entities are going to follow the lead of the Tribal Council. It isn't up to the United States government, the North Dakota state government, UND or the NCAA to make those decisions. Those groups don't have a right to interpret tribal law. They have listened to the Standing Rock Tribal Council because the Tribal Council is the group authorized to speak for the tribe. That's how government works, and that's how business works. You deal with the authorized parties and follow what they tell you. The pipe ceremony didn't get any traction because of the efforts of the Tribal Council. If you don't like it, take it up with the Standing Rock Tribal Council. You will probably be met with the same silence as UND, the state of North Dakota and Archie Fool Bear have heard when they've tried to talk to the council about the nickname.

When you copy from other people, that is plagiarism! You should have learn that UND, oh wait the communications department lost accredition, did the english department too?

When you copy from other people, that is plagiarism! You should have learn that UND, oh wait the communications department lost accredition, did the english department too?

And whom did I supposedly copy this from? I've written similar posts in the past. It is a composite of bits of information I have read from many other places. But if you want to point to something similar and I can give them credit, not a problem. If you read my previous posts you would know that I often post links to other web sites to give credit where credit is due.

But it is interesting that you've insulted people or taken shots at people in 5 out of your first 6 posts. By the way, I graduated from the Business department many years ago, not Communications or English.