SiouxSports.com Forum

How will you vote June 12th?

Siouxperfan7

Measure 4  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote?

• YES - means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.
    • NO - means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

What keeps baffling me is that people are constantly coming on here and claiming, under what I can only label as "false hope", that the NCAA will magically decide to make the sanctions go away after a few years.

Why in the f would they?!

They have battled UND on this issue for years which still isn't settled and has caused them an enormous amount of headaches and manpower and money, do you really think they have a soft spot in their hearts for the Fighting Sioux school that has been a pain in their ass?

They legally won, and people who have legally won DO NOT give back what they have won, especially if it means compromising their "integrity" on an issue...and yes I am using that term very loosely.

Not scizophrenic, I think I may have false hope if what you all truly are saying is true. I don't think the sanctions will magically dissappear, however, I would like to think that the NCAA would be lenient with our school if they can see the native tribes are not offended (which they are obviously not). Maybe I am more pissed that we have to get rid of the logo and nickname for some bogus reason (like many of you also believe, however I just b!tch about it).

The other thing is that the NCAA can't back down to UND at this point because it would cause huge problems with every school that was forced to make a change. Can you imagine the reactions at the dozen plus schools that changed their nickname because of this issue if UND didn't have to follow the rules? Or the 15-20 more that made a change before that because they realized something was coming? THE NCAA IS NOT GOING TO BACK DOWN AND THE SANCTIONS ARE NOT GOING AWAY AS LONG AS UND KEEPS THE NICKNAME. The NCAA has the law on its side and they are not going to go backwards.

Exactly, they're not going to open a 55-gallon drum of worms by letting one school slide by on an NCAA policy, the resulting lawsuits would be staggering.

The other thing is that the NCAA can't back down to UND at this point because it would cause huge problems with every school that was forced to make a change. Can you imagine the reactions at the dozen plus schools that changed their nickname because of this issue if UND didn't have to follow the rules? Or the 15-20 more that made a change before that because they realized something was coming? THE NCAA IS NOT GOING TO BACK DOWN AND THE SANCTIONS ARE NOT GOING AWAY AS LONG AS UND KEEPS THE NICKNAME. The NCAA has the law on its side and they are not going to go backwards.

Not to mention giving in to UND would probably mean losing whatever credibility they have left with member schools on a host of other issues, such as academics, BCS, TV revenues, etc.

He lied in the article about Wanless being at San Diego St. so he lost all credibility with me. ;)

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong but Wanless is at Sacramento St. When he misses the easy facts, he loses all other credibility.

You are correct, he is the AD at Sac St. The issue has never came up with the athletic directors. It has come up with the presidents; who happen to have the voting power. That article is pure speculation and misdirection.

Not scizophrenic, I think I may have false hope if what you all truly are saying is true. I don't think the sanctions will magically dissappear, however, I would like to think that the NCAA would be lenient with our school if they can see the native tribes are not offended (which they are obviously not). Maybe I am more pissed that we have to get rid of the logo and nickname for some bogus reason (like many of you also believe, however I just b!tch about it).

Honestly sir, despite what Fetch, Dave, and a few others think, we are ALL pissed that we are having this nickname policy shoved down our throats, but even though we all preached hard and defended the name early on, most of us have realized that this is a rigged game that we cannot win and for the sake of the school and the athletes who have, are currently, and most importantly will in the future play there we have to let it go...the price will be too high in the end.

• Upvote 2

He lied in the article about Wanless being at San Diego St. so he lost all credibility with me. ;)

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong but Wanless is at Sacramento St. When he misses the easy facts, he loses all other credibility.

Yeah he is, I goofed up my post, I was going to write "the AD at Sac. State has no insight or input" but apparently was locked up on the SDSU misinformation. My bad.

People on here keep bringing up articles and ideas that the Sioux need to go. My question to you is why. Most fans go to high school games not because their team plays the best in the state every week, but because they love their team in general. In the same idea don't you think we would be happier seeing the Sioux on the jerseys and cheering go Sioux more then what teams we play. I for one love calling out and the home of the Sioux at every event no mater where it is at with or with out Sioux sports present.Is money really that important?

• Upvote 2

People on here keep bringing up articles and ideas that the Sioux need to go. My question to you is why. Most fans go to high school games not because their team plays the best in the state every week, but because they love their team in general. In the same idea don't you think we would be happier seeing the Sioux on the jerseys and cheering go Sioux more then what teams we play. I for one love calling out and the home of the Sioux at every event no mater where it is at with or with out Sioux sports present.Is money really that important?

Watch out with that one buddy :)

People go to high school games because they go to the school, their kids go to the school or they know a kid playing in the game. And tickets to high school games are usually pretty cheap. College games are different. Most people don't know anyone that plays in the game. They go to support the program or the school; or because they are fans of the program or school. Most people don't go because of a nickname. They want the program and the teams to be successful at the highest level possible. Most people don't go to games if the teams are constantly losing. Attendance goes way down for teams that lose every year. That alone proves that people don't go to games for the nickname, because the nickname doesn't change from year to year like the winning record might. If UND had a regular losing record like Alcorn State then attendance would be a lot worse than it has been lately. People aren't going to pay $15 or more for a ticket to a game just so they can yell Go Sioux. And people aren't interested in paying those dollars to see UND play Mayville or Crookston. They want to see comparable schools. That is how the athletic department will lose major dollars if they are forced to keep the nickname.
  • Upvote 1

Do you ever wonder which posts are real and which ones are bits?

It's getting harder to tell lately.

I can't decide which noob is just trolling, and who's just ignorant. But it seems apparent that the junior high schools are out of session someplace.

People go to high school games because they go to the school, their kids go to the school or they know a kid playing in the game. And tickets to high school games are usually pretty cheap. College games are different. Most people don't know anyone that plays in the game. They go to support the program or the school; or because they are fans of the program or school. Most people don't go because of a nickname. They want the program and the teams to be successful at the highest level possible. Most people don't go to games if the teams are constantly losing. Attendance goes way down for teams that lose every year. That alone proves that people don't go to games for the nickname, because the nickname doesn't change from year to year like the winning record might. If UND had a regular losing record like Alcorn State then attendance would be a lot worse than it has been lately. People aren't going to pay $15 or more for a ticket to a game just so they can yell Go Sioux. And people aren't interested in paying those dollars to see UND play Mayville or Crookston. They want to see comparable schools. That is how the athletic department will lose major dollars if they are forced to keep the nickname.

Come on man! $15? I bet the same people would still go.

I can't decide which noob is just trolling, and who's just ignorant. But it seems apparent that the junior high schools are out of session someplace.

Can it really be possible that every few days someone new shows up and asks the exact same thing?

Some of these IP addresses must be the same.

Unfortunately, I live in MN so I will not be able to take part in the vote next week. I have convinced ten of my non-UND affiliated friends in Minot to vote Yes. Hopefully, they have discussed the vote with others. Thanks to all of you on the board that have worked to counter the "No" crowd's one-note arguments.

• Upvote 2

Come on man! $15? I bet the same people would still go.

Attendance is down 3,000 per game for football during the transition. The team has had mixed success during that time, not all bad. There have been some decent opponents and some weak opponents. Prices for adults start at $15. These attendance numbers will continue to go down if the team loses most of its games. The numbers will go back up, plus more, with good opponents and if the team is successful. People will pay for good entertainment and if the team is winning. They won't go no matter what the price is if they don't think it's good entertainment or if the team is losing. If UND had a losing record like Alcorn State every year attendance will go down another 3,000+ per game. If the hockey team starts losing then attendance will also go down. Just look at hockey attendance in the early 1990s. The price isn't the factor. This is a fickle audience that won't support teams that aren't winning.

Unfortunately, I live in MN so I will not be able to take part in the vote next week. I have convinced ten of my non-UND affiliated friends in Minot to vote Yes. Hopefully, they have discussed the vote with others. Thanks to all of you on the board that have worked to counter the "No" crowd's one-note arguments.

Good job, hopefully others have followed your lead and educated their friends too.

Attendance is down 3,000 per game for football during the transition. The team has had mixed success during that time, not all bad. There have been some decent opponents and some weak opponents. Prices for adults start at $15. These attendance numbers will continue to go down if the team loses most of its games. The numbers will go back up, plus more, with good opponents and if the team is successful. People will pay for good entertainment and if the team is winning. They won't go no matter what the price is if they don't think it's good entertainment or if the team is losing. If UND had a losing record like Alcorn State every year attendance will go down another 3,000+ per game. If the hockey team starts losing then attendance will also go down. Just look at hockey attendance in the early 1990s. The price isn't the factor. This is a fickle audience that won't support teams that aren't winning.

Puuhhhlease! When has Sioux fans ever been fickle?!?

I have to admit, you are pretty hard to read based on your posts, so I can't tell if you are trying to be funny or sarcastic. If you are seriously asking that question, apparently you were not attending games during Gino's last couple years when the hockey team was not winning and the fans were nowhere to be found. This was also true for the majority of sports at UND during the 90's. When a team was winning, fans were there. When a team was struggling, tickets were hard to give away.

Always. The basketball teams used to get 3,000 to 4,000 or more on a pretty regular basis when they were good. Now they get 1,500 to 1,800 for almost all games. The hockey teams sold out the old arena when they were good. Half the building was empty at times when they weren't good. They have had sell out crowds for most of the past 10 years, but they have only had 1 bad year, and that was the 2nd year the building was open. Football averaged somewhere in the 8,000 to 10,000 when the teams were good in the old building, about half that or less some times during the bad stretch. And I already talked about football attendance in recent years where crowds averaged over 10,000 in the last years of DII and were close to 7,000 the last couple of years. I have probably been attending games longer than you have been alive and I have seen the crowds fluctuate a great deal.
  • Upvote 1

Always. The basketball teams used to get 3,000 to 4,000 or more on a pretty regular basis when they were good. Now they get 1,500 to 1,800 for almost all games. The hockey teams sold out the old arena when they were good. Half the building was empty at times when they weren't good. They have had sell out crowds for most of the past 10 years, but they have only had 1 bad year, and that was the 2nd year the building was open. Football averaged somewhere in the 8,000 to 10,000 when the teams were good in the old building, about half that or less some times during the bad stretch. And I already talked about football attendance in recent years where crowds averaged over 10,000 in the last years of DII and were close to 7,000 the last couple of years. I have probably been attending games longer than you have been alive and I have seen the crowds fluctuate a great deal.

I don't doubt you on that.

And yet you doubt almost everything I write.

Mods: I hope this doesn't fall under the category of name-calling, but this poster (scpa0305) is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. You can tell when they're on their meds and when they're off, based on the tone, attitude and posture of their posts. Like I said before, very schizophrenic.

Mods: I hope this doesn't fall under the category of name-calling, but this poster (scpa0305) is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. You can cell when they're on their meds and when they're off, based on the tone, attitude and posture of their posts. Like I said before, very schizophrenic.

...and the trash talking continues. Sorry I don't fully agree with most of you on measure 4. Most other threads I'm calm and collective but the classlessness everyone shows on this thread is terrible.