SiouxSports.com Forum

How will you vote June 12th?

Siouxperfan7

Measure 4  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote?

• YES - means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.
    • NO - means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

Don't stoop to their level. They have lost and they just don't realize it yet. Or they simply don't want to.

Can't, when you deny something with every fiber of your being it becomes apart of your reality. To them, it is the truth. At this point I guess the only option would be to lobotomize them

Can't, when you deny something with every fiber of your being it becomes apart of your reality. To them, it is the truth. At this point I guess the only option would be to lobotomize them

They'd still vote No. Think of the people you are dealing with.

Or i guess we could have Grandstand get them hammered, drive them to the place with his bus, and confuse them on the verbiage of the measure when they vote

Might be worth a shot, at this point you are probably running out of options.

Coming from the guy openly claiming to be voting no. Then again, think of the people you are dealing with...

I'm not voting no because I think it is the right thing to do or because I think that some nickname is worth sucking at sports over. I'm doing it because there are people out there who honestly believe it is.

I'm not voting no because I think it is the right thing to do or because I think that some nickname is worth sucking at sports over. I'm doing it because there are people out there who honestly believe it is.

So you are voting no because DaveK and his buddies want you to. Just wanted to make sure I have that correct and you can see how ridiculous it looks in writing.

• Upvote 1

I agree. The Sioux nickname and logo probably very well were/are the ransom to be paid for d1 status. All the more reason in hindsight that UND should have jumped when NDSU did.

In reality, UND and NDSU probably both should have jumped when UNI did. But as tSic said, the Native American policy applied to all levels. It wouldn't surprise me if the transition were part of the discussions between the NCAA and UND or the state in some form. But it boiled down to getting tribal approval within a specified time period. UND had 2 different time periods, the original appeal period and the settlement period. They couldn't get the needed approval needed during either period. Other schools got tribal approvals within the required appeal time period.

I agree 100% that it is not a good feeling to know that those that are fighting for the University to be the best it can be now want the same end result as those who have come after UND for years with accusations and stories, with the majority of those proven to be baseless and fabricated.

I only agree partially with your second statement. It is true that continuing to argue with those on here who have dug in their heels will not change their mind. But there are many are many people who only read what goes on in these forums and do not participate, most likely a lot of people with limited knowledge of the history and proceedings of this mess. By allowing those who won't face the reality of the situation to continue to put out fairyland situations or asinine comments where the threats aren't real, those people searching for information on the subject are very likely to walk away with the wrong idea. That can not happen. People need to be properly educated on the matter and make their decision from that. The Alumni Association is taking the lead on that in the traditional media, there are many on this board who are making sure that same message is delivered for those looking here for information as well.

Your second paragraph is the reason that I continue to pound away on this issue. I know that a lot of people are not as well informed as the people that participate here on a regular basis. But there are a lot of guests that stop and read these forums. They need to see the facts. And they aren't going back pages and pages, most are only going to read the last page or 2. So I address issues as they are brought up even though I am repeating myself constantly. We have had 2 people post on this forum in the past week that obviously didn't have many facts. Hopefully they have better information now.
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe its only 2 weeks from this Tuesday we learn the fate of the athletic department. I hope and pray that the NDSC will retake up this issue if the No voters have their way and deem the state law unconstitutional. Hell even if the Yes votes win still take it up and deem it unconstitutional, that way Al Carlson will look more of a moron than he already is.

I can't believe its only 2 weeks from this Tuesday we learn the fate of the athletic department. I hope and pray that the NDSC will retake up this issue if the No voters have their way and deem the state law unconstitutional. Hell even if the Yes votes win still take it up and deem it unconstitutional, that way Al Carlson will look more of a moron than he already is.

The State Board of Higher Education would probably have to challenge again, and that is unlikely if the law goes away.

The State Board of Higher Education would probably have to challenge again, and that is unlikely if the law goes away.

I thought the SC said they would look at it again since they didn't make any ruling and wanted to wait until the vote happened in June.

I thought the SC said they would look at it again since they didn't make any ruling and wanted to wait until the vote happened in June.

I believe that's the case. IIRC two(?) of the justices opined the case was not yet "ripe" since the vote was still pending.

I believe that's the case. IIRC two(?) of the justices opined the case was not yet "ripe" since the vote was still pending.

If the law was defeated and the nickname goes away would the Supreme Court have a need to proceed? In that case the main reason for bringing the challenge would be gone. The larger issue of control, whether the SBoHE has control of higher education, would still be unanswered. But the case wouldn't have an actual law that would be challenged. Also, with the nickname issue being removed, there wouldn't be an immediacy to the issue. Even if a case were going to proceed, wouldn't it have to go through the entire process and start at the District Court level rather than go directly to the Supreme Court? Not an attorney so I thought I would ask the questions.

If the law was defeated and the nickname goes away would the Supreme Court have a need to proceed? In that case the main reason for bringing the challenge would be gone. The larger issue of control, whether the SBoHE has control of higher education, would still be unanswered. But the case wouldn't have an actual law that would be challenged. Also, with the nickname issue being removed, there wouldn't be an immediacy to the issue. Even if a case were going to proceed, wouldn't it have to go through the entire process and start at the District Court level rather than go directly to the Supreme Court? Not an attorney so I thought I would ask the questions.

If the yes vote wins shouldn't they look into it anyway since they are still gaining signatures for that other petition.

If the yes vote wins shouldn't they look into it anyway since they are still gaining signatures for that other petition.

If the YES vote wins, do the people that are petitioning to change the constitution think they will have the votes in a special election? This may be one of the bigest Primary elections in ND history. Many important issues on the ballot other than measure 4. Measure 2 and 3 are big ones as well. So if a record number of people come out and vote and measure 4 goes YES, how many people do the nickname supporters think they will get in a special election? Especially if it is voted to retire in June? In my opinion, this should be a pretty tell to what the constitutional amendment to keep the name vote would be.

That is a separate issue. That would be a vote on a potential constitutional amendment which would overrule any current law regarding the legislature control over the SBoHE.

The issue would probably not be prosecuted by the Board if Yes prevails. However, Clueless Al could possibly push it to determine the extent of the Board's power versus the legislature. As well, if the November vote keeps rolling they would have probably have to revisit the issue later, NoDaks should be really proud of this mess ...

If the YES vote wins, do the people that are petitioning to change the constitution think they will have the votes in a special election? This may be one of the bigest Primary elections in ND history. Many important issues on the ballot other than measure 4. Measure 2 and 3 are big ones as well. So if a record number of people come out and vote and measure 4 goes YES, how many people do the nickname supporters think they will get in a special election? Especially if it is voted to retire in June? In my opinion, this should be a pretty tell to what the constitutional amendment to keep the name vote would be.

Actually, I would expect a vote on a constitutional amendment would have less of a chance than a regular law. North Dakota residents have been hesitant to put fluff in the constitution. But that could change with a special election. You never know who is going to vote in a special election so it would just depend on who did a better job of getting out the vote.

The issue would probably not be prosecuted by the Board if Yes prevails. However, Clueless Al could possibly push it to determine the extent of the Board's power versus the legislature. As well, if the November vote keeps rolling they would have probably have to revisit the issue later, NoDaks should be really proud of this mess ...

Proud isn't exactly the work I would use to describe anything to do with this issue at this point.

So you are voting no because DaveK and his buddies want you to. Just wanted to make sure I have that correct and you can see how ridiculous it looks in writing.

And because a lot of typical Sioux fans I know support the name. It should be noted they are mostly hockey fans.

And because a lot of typical Sioux fans I know support the name. It should be noted they are mostly hockey fans.

So you base you decisions on what a bunch other people think, not just DaveK and his buddies. Glad they teach you to think for yourself down south.

So you base you decisions on what a bunch other people think, not just DaveK and his buddies. Glad they teach you to think for yourself down south.

No, I'm basing THIS single decision on the fact that to keep the name is so idiotic, and yet a lot of people want to keep it. I figure what the heck, why not do my part in giving them what they want. I don't think you are in any place to say "glad they teach you to think for yourself down south". At least I have a pretty original reason to vote the way I will.