SiouxSports.com Forum

How will you vote June 12th?

Siouxperfan7

Measure 4  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote?

• YES - means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.
    • NO - means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

Don't listen to any of these guys on this site....they are all trying to fill everyone's heads with garbage. They are simply pusing (to no end) to get rid of the nickname and are bashing everyone and their mothers for saying otherwise. They are scared because the would rather play Southeastern south dakota school of mines rather than jamestown even though that has not officially been proven yet. Whatever division the football team plays in will be just fine...either way it isn't D-I A football, everything below, well, is just below. You can still go out and hope your team wins. As for it affecting the hockey team...it won't...we simply will not be playing againt the Gophs or Badgers. They'll come calling when they need their stadiums filled.

And the delusionalism continues......... ???

Don't listen to any of these guys on this site....they are all trying to fill everyone's heads with garbage. They are simply pusing (to no end) to get rid of the nickname and are bashing everyone and their mothers for saying otherwise. They are scared because the would rather play Southeastern south dakota school of mines rather than jamestown even though that has not officially been proven yet. Whatever division the football team plays in will be just fine...either way it isn't D-I A football, everything below, well, is just below. You can still go out and hope your team wins. As for it affecting the hockey team...it won't...we simply will not be playing againt the Gophs or Badgers. They'll come calling when they need their stadiums filled.

Rob Port is that you?

You realize you contradicted yourself in the same sentence right? I'll take the word of Dave Hakstol over some no-nothing blogger any day when it comes to how sanctions and not playing rivals affect the hockey team.

• Upvote 2

I really hope you didn't steal a degree from UND. If so, please return it.

• Upvote 2

Can you back up any of your statements with facts instead of just making an accusation saying that what we are trying to fill people's heads garbage? Coaches actually working in the situation say that the sanctions will damage all sports including hockey. Everyone that is close to the situation say the sanctions will hurt the athletic department. UND alumni working in college athletics like Dale Lennon at Southern Illinois and Ray Purpur at Stanford say that the sanctions will damage UND. Are they trying to fill people's heads with garbage? Do you really know more about the situation than these people? I really don't think so. Try using actual proof rather than making broad, general accusations.
  • Upvote 3

Come on, you're better than that. Your questions and concerns have been clearly answered and spelled out to you and then you go and throw this out there. Do you think these coaches just had an extra day or two on the calendar and thought it would be fun to take a little scenic drive around the state? Look at the list of people who are coming out against keeping the nickname and the positions they hold. Seems like a lot of people that have a lot more information on the entire situation than you. And Dave Hakstol himself has said it will be detrimental to the hockey program. I'm sure he would like to hear your input on how he is incorrect on that and you have all the answers. In fact, maybe you can show up at one of the press conferences and expose him in front of everyone.

• Upvote 1

Can you back up any of your statements with facts instead of just making an accusation saying that what we are trying to fill people's heads garbage? Coaches actually working in the situation say that the sanctions will damage all sports including hockey. Everyone that is close to the situation say the sanctions will hurt the athletic department. UND alumni working in college athletics like Dale Lennon at Southern Illinois and Ray Purpur at Stanford say that the sanctions will damage UND. Are they trying to fill people's heads with garbage? Do you really know more about the situation than these people? I really don't think so. Try using actual proof rather than making broad, general accusations.

You are spot on 82, well said!

Won't it? If UND goes to the NAIA...out goes the hockey program because the NAIA doesn't sponsor hockey. So to save "only" UND hockey the other sports must go to DII or DIII. Yeah thats not going to happen. UND is not going to be the Ferris State or Union of the hockey world. Unlike you there are people that care more than just hockey, they care about the school's other teams.

UND coaches: Concerns about Sioux nickname's effects are serious, real

The coaches said they were hitting the campaign trail of their own volition and off UND’s clock – a key distinction because the university itself can’t campaign or spend money on the election.

The UND Alumni Association, which has spearheaded the campaign against the nickname, said it paid for Tuesday’s event, which will also include a stop in Bismarck later in the day and another in Minot Wednesday morning.

Head football coach Chris Mussman, women’s basketball coach Travis Brewster, women’s hockey coach Brian Idalski, and track and field coach Kevin Galbraith are also part of the tour, along with alumni foundation head Tim O’Keefe.

All five coaches say the nickname issue, which has made the school a target of NCAA sanctions, has had a tangible impact on their respective programs, from making it tougher to at-tract recruits to thwarted scheduling opportunities.

They said they wanted to speak out to counter claims by nickname supporters that the consequences of keeping the nickname are overblown

I still say these guys are bluffing. ;)

• Upvote 4

VOTE NO keep the name & follow the sanctions - We get to decide not fall prey to peer pressure & family pressure

Long Live the Fighting Sioux

Are you so in favor of the name that you'd watch the hockey programs strangled??.....

Idalski said the consequences of the sanctions hit home for him when they came up while recruiting a blue-chip recruit from Canada.

“Her family called me and asked, what does this mean for us?” he said. “Their concerns were very real.”

VOTE NO keep the name & follow the sanctions - We get to decide not fall prey to peer pressure & family pressure

Long Live the Fighting Sioux

It isn't peer pressure, it's a business reality. The sanctions will hurt the athletic department financially and on the playing surface. Very few people would willingly want to compete with 1 arm tied behind their back, but that is what you are asking the ahletic department to do.

OK....sorry guys my rant obviously offended some of you...and yes I am not expert on this subject. I simply want to keep the nickname and I don't believe the NCAA will be able to (nor would they want to) absolutely take everything away from us. Again, at the end of the day it is not like we are the only one's with this kind of nickname. By a small (very small) chance all the horror stories you guys keep making up are true...I say punt the nickname. Jeez, my last post sure rattled this thread a tad.

OK....sorry guys my rant obviously offended some of you...and yes I am not expert on this subject. I simply want to keep the nickname and I don't believe the NCAA will be able to (nor would they want to) absolutely take everything away from us. Again, at the end of the day it is not like we are the only one's with this kind of nickname. By a small (very small) chance all the horror stories you guys keep making up are true...I say punt the nickname. Jeez, my last post sure rattled this thread a tad.

We are not making up these horror stories. The sanctions are real. no home playoff games, schools not playing with us....those are not just stories, that is real life!

• Upvote 1

We are not making up these horror stories. The sanctions are real. no home playoff games, schools not playing with us....those are not just stories, that is real life!

I hear you on that front...those regionals in GF were awesome.

Here are 5 current coaches that are saying things similar to the "horror stories" that we keep repeating, http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/238068/. Do you think that they are making things up?

Five coaches, including men’s hockey coach Dave Hakstol, spoke in Fargo this morning in support of a “yes” vote on Measure 4 in the June 12 election, which would retire the nickname.

Head football coach Chris Mussman, women’s basketball coach Travis Brewster, women’s hockey coach Brian Idalski, and track and field coach Kevin Galbraith are also part of the tour, along with alumni foundation head Tim O’Keefe.

All five coaches say the nickname issue, which has made the school a target of NCAA sanctions, has had a tangible impact on their respective programs, from making it tougher to attract recruits to thwarted scheduling opportunities.

They said they wanted to speak out to counter claims by nickname supporters that the consequences of keeping the nickname are overblown.

Dale Lennon, former UND football coach, has said he saw problems with recruits avoiding UND this winter, when UND wasn't actually on sanctions. Do you think he's lying?

The vast majority of us would like to keep the nickname. But we know that the NCAA will be able to keep the sanctions in place and have no reason to drop the sanctions. I'm not sure why you believe that the NCAA won't continue the sanctions. They have had different sanctions in place for the states of South Carolina and Mississippi for about 10 years and there are no signs that they are going to back off on those sanctions. The Native American policy is not going away, and is much more likely to be expanded.

Trust me when I say..EVERYBODY or at least 99.999% of everyone here wants the name and logo to stay. If there was a way to keep it and be off of sanctions I and everyone else would love to see that, but the reality is the NCAA already said they don't care about ND state law, and their policy still stands. That trip Al Carlson and others took to Indianapolis to meet with the NCAA was supposed to convince the NCAA to change their mind because of the state law. It didn't!! So now that UND's football team becomes playoff eligible this fall they could win their conference and still have to play all their playoff games on the road. They (UND) would be the home team but would be at NDSU, or at UNI, or at App State. Total disadvantage for our teams. The hockey team saw those sanctions when the NCAA said you guys show up in the tournament with any Sioux name or logo....you will have to forfeit. Was the NCAA bluffing? If they were then why did the UND team, band, etc. change uniforms. The sanctions are real and the only other team on sanctions is Alcorn State. They don't want to give up their Braves nickname. Just look at their team...towards the bottom of everything. Their glory days of McNair and Driver are gone because of sanctions. Those 2 NFL Superstars were drafted before the policy took place now the "Braves" are at the bottom of the SWAC. They go on the road as the A's not the Braves for any playoff game they are in. UND will have to do the same. Fighting Sioux at home and North Dakota "no nicknamers" on the road. Plus more teams are not scheduling UND just this year South Dakota State was added to the list. Which should alarm people because this isn't a major DI team this is a team in UND's backyard. What is next...NDSU, USD? What if certain conferences ban OOC play against UND like the Summit, or MVFC? The consequences are too great to take chances on this. Make it easy and vote YES on Measure 4 to retire the name.

• Upvote 1

Trust me when I say..EVERYBODY or at least 99.999% of everyone here wants the name and logo to stay. If there was a way to keep it and be off of sanctions I and everyone else would love to see that, but the reality is the NCAA already said they don't care about ND state law, and their policy still stands. That trip Al Carlson and others took to Indianapolis to meet with the NCAA was supposed to convince the NCAA to change their mind because of the state law. It didn't!! So now that UND's football team becomes playoff eligible this fall they could win their conference and still have to play all their playoff games on the road. They (UND) would be the home team but would be at NDSU, or at UNI, or at App State. Total disadvantage for our teams. The hockey team saw those sanctions when the NCAA said you guys show up in the tournament with any Sioux name or logo....you will have to forfeit. Was the NCAA bluffing? If they were then why did the UND team, band, etc. change uniforms. The sanctions are real and the only other team on sanctions is Alcorn State. They don't want to give up their Braves nickname. Just look at their team...towards the bottom of everything. Their glory days of McNair and Driver are gone because of sanctions. Those 2 NFL Superstars were drafted before the policy took place now the "Braves" are at the bottom of the SWAC. They go on the road as the A's not the Braves for any playoff game they are in. UND will have to do the same. Fighting Sioux at home and North Dakota "no nicknamers" on the road. Plus more teams are not scheduling UND just this year South Dakota State was added to the list. Which should alarm people because this isn't a major DI team this is a team in UND's backyard. What is next...NDSU, USD? What if certain conferences ban OOC play against UND like the Summit, or MVFC? The consequences are too great to take chances on this. Make it easy and vote YES on Measure 4 to retire the name.

Yeah, sounds crazy. I bet were going to be changing our state names next. Anyway, what is the benefit to SDSU of playing us? You actually think it has something to do with our nickname? If so how? I can see UM and Wis because their schools are so liberal.

Yeah, sounds crazy. I bet were going to be changing our state names next. Anyway, what is the benefit to SDSU of playing us? You actually think it has something to do with our nickname? If so how? I can see UM and Wis because their schools are so liberal.

The NCAA doesn't control names of states. They also don't control the nicknames of professional sports teams or a bunch of other Native American names or images that people keep throwing out to somehow justify keeping the nickname. The NCAA controls much of college sports. If you want to compete in their sports you have to follow their rules. It really isn't hard to understand.

What's the benefit to SDSU of playing UND? That's a simple question. UND is a quality (similar level) out of conference opponent that is close. Home and home series are easy to arrange and not very expensive. Travel costs can be kept to a minimum, driving rather than flying. And there is a history of the schools playing going back decades. Quality non-conference games that are close can be hard to find in this part of the country. Even though UND is in a different conference, it makes sense for them to play NDSU, SDSU and USD on a regular basis in almost all sports. Much better than playing the Mayvilles, Jamestowns and South Dakota Mines of the world for both UND and SDSU. And it is because of the nickname, SDSU admitted it and said that they will not schedule any more games until the nickname issue is gone. They will honor the contract for a football game in a couple of years but nothing more.

All I've got? No.

All I'll use here? Yes.

I try to stick to civil conversation. It's a new concept for too many.

As I explained before, your issue is with the NCAA, not with UND or UND supporters (who support the University first and a moniker second).

Please address your concerns, which even I agree are real and legitimate, and that I've taken to the NCAA already to no avail, to the only group that can address and resolve them to your satisfaction:

Dr. Mark Emmert
, President

Dr. Bernard Franklin
, Executive Vice President for Membership and Student-Athlete Affairs

The National Collegiate Athletics Association

700 W. Washington Street

P.O. Box 6222

Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222

Phone: 317/917-6222

Fax: 317/917-6888

In the mean time, please don't be surprised when (a) I state that I support UND first and a moniker second and (b) when I challenge people who believe an 80 year moniker is more valuable than a 129 year old university.

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with the conversation. If you are saying that you were serving in the military in those locations, then thank you for your service to our country. But it doesn't mean that you know anything about the situation between UND and the NCAA. In fact, it would mean that you were probably pretty busy with other issues so you may not have been following the nickname issue very closely. And I'm not sure what you are expecting for a reception on this board since you started with a bad attitude and you have insulted a lot of people with only a few posts. Is insulting people in public on the board really any better than something said in private emails?

You can't handle any oppostion to your views can you. I am not talking with the NCAA, I am dealing with you and you stopped, took a breath, and actually read the post, before you respond we could have a better conversation. I will wait now for Homer and the BIZ grammar police to read my post and correct any errors. And if you have shy bladders you can send my an email.

• Upvote 1

You can't handle any oppostion to your views can you. I am not talking with the NCAA, I am dealing with you and you stopped, took a breath, and actually read the post, before you respond we could have a better conversation. I will wait now for Homer and the BIZ grammar police to read my post and correct any errors. And if you have shy bladders you can send my an email.

If you actually wanted to have a conversation we could try to do that. But so far all you do is launch attacks. That isn't a way to actually have a conversation. You obviously aren't interested in what is best for UND. You have your own agenda and you are just looking for a fight. UND is losing no matter what happens with this issue. If they keep the nickname they suffer the sanctions, which will slowly destroy the athletic department. If they retire the name they give up a great nickname with a lot of history. Giving up the nickname is the lesser of the 2 evils. Thousands of people have examined the issue over the years and no one has come up with a solution that allows UND to keep the nickname without suffering the penalties of the sanctions. And as far as the tribes are concerned, they had opportunities to make this work out, and any damages they might suffer would be superficial. So I'm not buying that keeping the nickname is somehow for the good of the tribes.
  • Upvote 1

OK pivitz, propose the solution where things can go merrily along for all, meaning keep the name and no NCAA sanctions.

And after that hook me up with the winning Powerball numbers, I could use some extra cash going into summer.