SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Closest regional this year is in Grand Rapids, MI. Hardly even close to WCHA territory. That's the "West" Regional. Midwest regional is in Toledo, OH.

How does this work in the eyes of the NCAA? Just gross. I know schools/locations have to bid these things, and they usually aren't much of a money maker, if at all, but wow.

look to see westen michigan and minnesota in grad rapids. michigan is the host but western michigan will be the best that region will draw as far as attendance goes. miami should be a lock to somehow end up in toledo as well. but this is what the ncaa wants, neutral sites but have to try and hope certain teams end up there. I know there is a different thread for this but have the top eight schools a irst round series kind of like it used to be 20-30 years ago.

Changing the subject a bit...

The ice design for this year seems a bit bland, (I suppose it's fitting with the blandness of everything else non-Sioux nowadays). But, I decided to come up with a concept that, in my opinion, is much better.

Our kelly green is almost as unique as was the Sioux nickname. So few schools and pro teams use the color. So, I wanted to add more "green" to the look. So, instead of adding a green interlocking ND, I decided to make the circle green instead of the logo. The other obvious change is the ND itself. I actually don't mind the use of "North Dakota", but it doesn't fill the space at center ice like it should, and just doesn't look as professional. My only concern is if someone happened to tune into a game on FCS and saw the ND, they'd be confused with Notre Dame. I think the revised ND logo better differentiates us from theirs, and it fills center ice pretty nicely. One other subtle change was, instead of white squares in the center red line, I changed them to diamonds.

For comparison sake, I put our current design on the left, the concept on the right:

Concept1C_zps35df4f78.png

• Upvote 1

The ice design for this year seems a bit bland, (I suppose it's fitting with the blandness of everything else non-Sioux nowadays). But, I decided to come up with a concept that, in my opinion, is much better.

Our kelly green is almost as unique as was the Sioux nickname. So few schools and pro teams use the color. So, I wanted to add more "green" to the look. So, instead of adding a green interlocking ND, I decided to make the circle green instead of the logo. The other obvious change is the ND itself. I actually don't mind the use of "North Dakota", but it doesn't fill the space at center ice like it should, and just doesn't look as professional. My only concern is if someone happened to tune into a game on FCS and saw the ND, they'd be confused with Notre Dame. I think the revised ND logo better differentiates us from theirs, and it fills center ice pretty nicely. One other subtle change was, instead of white squares in the center red line, I changed them to diamonds.

For comparison sake, I put our current design on the left, the concept on the right:

Would there be problems for players or fans to see the puck against the darker green background at center ice?

Would there be problems for players or fans to see the puck against the darker green background at center ice?

That's a good question. Here's 1 example of an ice sheet where you'd think the logo would make it hard to pick up the puck at center ice. While the black doesn't encompass the entire center ice circle, it does take up a lot of it.

td-banknorth.jpg

There are a lot of pro teams that use pretty much the entire center circle with color, whether it be a logo, or filler. Being that it's a uniform color, and isn't on the dark end of things, I don't see why it would be any worse than teams like the Blackhawks, Sabres, Islanders, etc. A few teams use quite a bit of black even.

EDIT: Ray77 beat me to the punch there with a great pic.

Here's another photo example, this time of the Islanders. I would think having two different colors (blue/orange) would make it even harder to see, if it was an issue. It's a great question, though. I wonder if there are any NHL guidelines when it comes to designs...or even in the NCAA/WCHA.

DSC_0003_zoom.jpg

I'll probably get voted down for this, but I think you should try having the UND flame logo at center ice. You should develop a concept. I'd like to see what that looks like.

I agree, our current center ice design is to bland.

I'll probably get voted down for this, but I think you should try having the UND flame logo at center ice. You should develop a concept. I'd like to see what that looks like.

I agree, our current center ice design is to bland.

I may whip something up just for fun, but the flame logo is an academic logo. As good or bad (whatever you may feel) as our current athletic logo set is, they are still ours

One other interesting thing to note...

When the new logos were reavealed a few years ago, they showed all our new wordmarks with the interlocking ND in the "O" of the word "North", as shown in the pic below. Interestingly, it seems UND has moved away from that in many of their designs, which is a good thing IMO.

Bottom row, first and third ones in. The only usage they've shown without that look is in conjunction with the interlocking logo as the primary. The style guide is much more in-depth, but follows the same rules.

undnewlogos.png

What I have always found interesting is that at The Ralph, the red line is never painted on top of the logo at center ice, it's always underneath the logo. Personally, I prefer it that way, gives it a cleaner look.

Compare to Islanders photo a few posts up...

I wonder if that isn't an NHL rule...every NHL team places the red line over the top of the center ice logo. I agree though, it's a better look the way UND does it.

Anything but the UND flame logo. Love the dark green one! The flame should be reserved for notepads, coasters and anything not associated with UND athletics.

I really like the green outline of the state logo. I know North Dakota doesn't have the most distinct shape but still makes it different than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Gothberg earns WCHA Defensive Player of the Week honors

http://www.undsports...TCLID=206370361

Well deserved, 5 goals in last 4 games adding last weekend was vs highest scoring team in the WCHA. He's smothering shots as well noted by many including Dean Blais both nights. Gothbergs team for this stretch run