SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

If something more severe had happened I think we would have heard about it via word of mouth by now. My guess is big team party with under age drinking going on, and things got a bit out of control. (For the first time ever in college history)

Glad the message was sent though. Hopefully a couple of no puck practices continue to send the message once the coaches get on the ice with players.

If we are going to only have 15 skaters in Alaska then we may need some no puck practices anyway ;)

• Upvote 1

Weren't we just talking about the partying within the hockey team in another thread? Well they party regularly, however, this must have been "above and beyond" for the suspensions to be handed down. From what I heard they had a pretty huge party in which the police were called. As there were under-agers (on the team), the police let them off the hook but called the school. This is pretty normal however, I'm torn that they all have to sit out (the same game). This is nothing different than any other year, however, with the NDSU and PSU issues, UND is being proactive to the culture change within college athletics.

• Upvote 1

Weren't we just talking about the partying within the hockey team in another thread? Well they party regularly, however, this must have been "above and beyond" for the suspensions to be handed down. From what I heard they had a pretty huge party in which the police were called. As there were under-agers (on the team), the police let them off the hook but called the school. This is pretty normal however, I'm torn that they all have to sit out (the same game). This is nothing different than any other year, however, with the NDSU and PSU issues, UND is being proactive to the culture change within college athletics.

It's called institutional control no one wants to be the next one that gets caught up in this...

Our captains need to step up and declare a party of this magnitude "too dangerous" to the upcoming year. This is the message Hak is sending. You can believe your ass the captians will be more aware of what everyone else is doing the rest of the season, they just needed a little reality check here at the beginning of the year... The suspension gives the young guys a chance to showcase in Alaska, and I am looking foreward to seeing that! Plus, this ensures none of our captians will be injured in game one of the season! AND everyone should be on their best behavior from here on out! Win-Win-Win situation.

Our captains need to step up and declare a party of this magnitude "too dangerous" to the upcoming year. This is the message Hak is sending. You can believe your ass the captians will be more aware of what everyone else is doing the rest of the season, they just needed a little reality check here at the beginning of the year... The suspension gives the young guys a chance to showcase in Alaska, and I am looking foreward to seeing that! Plus, this ensures none of our captians will be injured in game one of the season! AND everyone should be on their best behavior from here on out! Win-Win-Win situation.

Missing those guys will be tough to start the year, but I think the expectations for the team will still be to win the hockey game. No excuses. They didn't take that road last year, hopefully they don't take that road this year.

As I recall, he was as bad as Mazzocco in his view of the gophers as saints and the Sioux as the Evil empire. I imagine that is part of the job, but LaPlanta at least had some respect for the Sioux.

I never got why Gopher fans think LaPanta is so bad... Let's be honest here.. Mazzocco was a cheer leader that was only missing the pompoms in the announcers both. Frank was also one of the biggest homers next to the Shavers to ever do hockey... That's not to say he's not a great guy or a great photographer, because he is a good photographer but he was hard to listen... Of course Gopher fans love him because he played right into their hands and basically cheered for the Gophers when he did a hockey broadcast... I think Woog was a lot better than Frank...

I never got why Gopher fans think LaPanta is so bad... Let's be honest here.. Mazzocco was a cheer leader that was only missing the pompoms in the announcers both. Frank was also one of the biggest homers next to the Shavers to ever do hockey... That's not to say he's not a great guy or a great photographer, because he is a good photographer but he was hard to listen... Of course Gopher fans love him because he played right into their hands and basically cheered for the Gophers when he did a hockey broadcast... I think Woog was a lot better than Frank...

i think most gopher fans liked lapanta. i think it was mostly the older, die-hard fans that go online that didnt like him and missed the old crews (mazzocco/"burgundy").. there arent that many college hockey fans that go onto online message boards- so it doesnt take many for it to SEEM like most a team's fanbase thinks one thing or another. most young minnesotans like lapanta.. for his hair alone if nothing else. if minnesotans didnt like them some lapanta- he wouldnt have gotten the promotion to wild broadcasts

I loved those guys. They were huge homers, but I expected nothing less. They brought a lot of energy to the game, a lot like what Hennessy does for UND on radio. Then, the fact that they were such big homers meant that when we were pounding them, they had to choke down a few Sioux compliments in front of Gopher nation.

I could listen to Woog and Mazzocco forever...honestly.