SiouxSports.com Forum

Here is the latest from S.A.B.

Goon

To bad the national media refuses to report that this group has this position and is the locus of the current fight to keep the name- including being the ones to start the petitons!

It's to bad because, as we have seen the last month, public opinion can be molded and without including this critical fact the mold does not go the way it could and should.

Has there been any talk between SL and SR??? Has either tribal councils ever discussed the Sioux name? Just seems its a pro-nickname person on this tribe and a pro-nickname person on that tribe but nothing about the two tribal councils actually engaging on this topic together. Doesn't it seem weird to anyone?

Has there been any talk between SL and SR??? Has either tribal councils ever discussed the Sioux name? Just seems its a pro-nickname person on this tribe and a pro-nickname person on that tribe but nothing about the two tribal councils actually engaging on this topic together. Doesn't it seem weird to anyone?

I don't get the feeling they are particularly chummy, maybe this issue has made it seem that way.

I don't get the feeling they are particularly chummy, maybe this issue has made it seem that way.

But not once has the the tribal leader of Spirit Lake meet with the tribal leader of Standing Rock. Why couldn't SL talk SR into a tribe wide vote? If this name means so much to Spirit Lake like Chaske says then why no communication between the two tribes since 2005?

But not once has the the tribal leader of Spirit Lake meet with the tribal leader of Standing Rock. Why couldn't SL talk SR into a tribe wide vote? If this name means so much to Spirit Lake like Chaske says then why no communication between the two tribes since 2005?

Standing Rock doesn't have a provision for a referendum vote in their constitution. They would have to change the constitution to do it. Plus the leadership at Standing Rock doesn't want it and has said so for about 20 years. Plus, if I remember right, the 2 tribes have never been very close. Spirit Lake probably isn't going to talk Standing Rock into much of anything.

The irony? While SL was putting out that emotion-driven statement, Dave Hakstol was putting out a fact-based statement, pesky facts like Wisconsin will not honor the contract for games scheduled for 2013 if UND is under NCAA sanctions due to still carrying the Fighting Sioux moniker.

• Upvote 1

And frankly for the record, we also have Minnesota Gopher coach's and administrators regarding their hockey program shying away from playing North Dakota because they are flat out getting embarrassed over the last few years and don't admire the style of play that our team (North Dakota) plays with and shenanigans that take place year in and year out.

The Big Ten conference, besides Wisconsin, (they still play with an edge here and there, but they also rely on a trap system type of game, when they have "down years" on the offense ) could create a European style of play. Up and down hockey, fun for attracting newer fans that are in the majority of the niche college hockey fan base.

However, seeing text book checking and big hits is always fun too. I think that Coach Lucia needs to realize, that for the pure development of his upcoming recruits, that if they want to play in the NHL, the style of play that will be instilled in the Big Ten conference will hinder them, just my own thoughts there.

I know that's a whole can of warms, but it is the truth. And I know, the Gophers, Badgers, Wolverines, will still develop players to play in the big show one day, despite the different style of play that will be implemented in their conference, but if I'm recruiting a top tier player, I say come play in the National Hockey Conference instead - You'll face tighter competition from top to bottom and also will have non-cupcake games in non-confernce scheduling games.

Rant over.

Are you serious? Wow.

Standing Rock doesn't have a provision for a referendum vote in their constitution. They would have to change the constitution to do it. Plus the leadership at Standing Rock doesn't want it and has said so for about 20 years. Plus, if I remember right, the 2 tribes have never been very close. Spirit Lake probably isn't going to talk Standing Rock into much of anything.

SR ancestors were the Natives you saw in the movies fighting Custer. For the lack of a better analogy that I can think of the SL ancestors were more like the Hekawi (think after school TV late 60's). This is historical fact and not a myth. Could be the reason they do not communicate much. They are two different groups with different experiances dealing with the White Man.

First off I love the Fighting Sioux nickname but there is no way to continue to use the nickname without damaging the UND sports programs that is a fact. UND will no longer be able to play UMN and UW in hockey or any sports. That means that UND fans will no longer be able to watch UND take the UMN hockey team to the woodshed. Here is the latest miss information. Wow!!! I think I would rather trust Tim O'Keefe and Dave Hakstol more on the nickname issue than a self professed, self congratulatory blogger that is wadding into an area he has no clue on. First none of these guys have interviewed the BSC Presidents from what I can gather... They have no clue what could happen if UND keeps the name... Maybe he should stick to commenting on the Heitkamp and Berg Election. I have a hard time believing that the A.D. of UND Brian Faison is going to mislead people on the Fighting Sioux nickname.

Also, the S.L. Lawsuit against the NCAA is the best way for this to end well. All other ways are not going to end well, the NCAA is not going to change their minds. I am on record as saying that I will help raise funds for this lawsuit if they want. I fully support them. The Petition process will do nothing but hurt the University of North Dakota.

Whether or not you think the credibility of the site is lacking, all you have to do is listed to McFraud's interview with Wanless on podcast. Pretty hard to make that up or exaggerate it. He basically contradicts Faison.

http://www.kfgo.com/kfgo-podcasts-mike-mcfeely.php

The irony? While SL was putting out that emotion-driven statement, Dave Hakstol was putting out a fact-based statement, pesky facts like Wisconsin will not honor the contract for games scheduled for 2013 if UND is under NCAA sanctions due to still carrying the Fighting Sioux moniker.

And, Hakstol's contract is up this year and Kelley and Faison hold the pen for the new one.

Going back to some post about Wisconsin/Minny playing Fla State, etc...

Let's say that Minny and Wisco *would* play a Fla State team under sanction.

Big deal. Who cares?

The fact is they won't play a UND Fighting Sioux team under sanction. Let's focus on what affects us, not on what Minny and Wisco would hypothetically do or not do. Or we could just scream, "Oh those hypocrites!" over and over and over while our sports programs go down the tubes. Yeah, that'll give us some self satisfaction while watching us play whatever schedule we can scrape together in slowly emptying arenas and stadiums.

Whether or not you think the credibility of the site is lacking, all you have to do is listed to McFraud's interview with Wanless on podcast. Pretty hard to make that up or exaggerate it. He basically contradicts Faison.

If we can question the mechanism or motives of Hakstol, why shouldn't we question the mechanism or motives of Wanless?

Wanless was run out of UND. Is he above giving bad advice and getting the last laugh at UND's expense?

And, Hakstol's contract is up this year and Kelley and Faison hold the pen for the new one.

Knowing what I know of Dave Hakstol, if he was given an ultimatum (change your tune or you're gone), he'd walk.

Listen to what Hak said. He got a reality check from Wisconsin. They've said the 2013 game contract is off if the name stays and UND is under NCAA sanction. Dave loves the name, but he loves the program more.

• Upvote 1

http://www.kfgo.com/...ike-mcfeely.php

I wasn't aware that Wanless is back in the UND athletic office and is the one recieving phone calls about the nickname, will be the one creating schedules for the sports team, or will have to answer to anyone if the day comes where UND is removed from the Big Sky and U of M and Wisconsin are no longer on the hockey schedules. His opinion matters about as much as the AD from Minot St.

I don't believe that for a minute because Hakstol can coach just about any where he wants pretty much. There are a lot of college hockey and professional teams that would take his services so I don't believe the hype on this one.

If we can question the mechanism or motives of Hakstol, why shouldn't we question the mechanism or motives of Wanless?

Wanless was run out of UND. Is he above giving bad advice and getting the last laugh at UND's expense?

First thing that I thought about when I listened to that podcast. I wouldn't trust Wanless as far as I could throw him... I wouldn't count on him to be the ace in the hole for UND either.