SiouxSports.com Forum

Here is the latest from S.A.B.

Goon

Has never been a head coach at D-1 level and has not been unemployed since 1994.

So what? Look at what he has done with the Gophers this year and in the past. What does the fact that he has not been unemployed since 1994 have to do with anything? Hak had how much D1 head coaching experiance when he was hired? That would be what? None? Blais had how much? None? Gino had how much? None? Your point is?

So what? Look at what he has done with the Gophers this year and in the past. What does the fact that he has not been unemployed since 1994 have to do with anything? Hak had how much D1 head coaching experiance when he was hired? That would be what? None? Blais had how much? None? Gino had how much? None? Your point is?

You said there are a lot of people with more experience than Hak looking for a job. If you meant over the history of college hockey, fine. If you meant as we sit here today, its not the case.

His point is that most schools would rather hire a coach with a proven record of success as a head coach than hire a good assistant coach for his first time as a head coach. Hak, Blais and Gino were all hired as a head coach in the same place where they had worked as an assistant coach. Other schools may have been more hesitant to hire them for their first time as a head coach.

Going back to some post about Wisconsin/Minny playing Fla State, etc...

Let's say that Minny and Wisco *would* play a Fla State team under sanction.

Big deal. Who cares?

The fact is they won't play a UND Fighting Sioux team under sanction. Let's focus on what affects us, not on what Minny and Wisco would hypothetically do or not do. Or we could just scream, "Oh those hypocrites!" over and over and over while our sports programs go down the tubes. Yeah, that'll give us some self satisfaction while watching us play whatever schedule we can scrape together in slowly emptying arenas and stadiums.

Don't think for one millisecond that Wisconsin would have taken a forfeit in the 2008 Champs Sports Bowl against Florida State REGARDLESS of their university policy. They would have pulled out the old "it's a bowl game, not an officially-sanctioned NCAA event" card and played anyways. For all of you hockey fans who think Minnesota and Wisconsin will play UND home-and-away EVERY single season, let me remind you that Michigan was once a member of the WCHA. When is the last time you saw a regular season match-up with the Wolverines in Grand Forks OR Ann Arbor?

Everyone forgets that the NCAA policy initially included schools such as Utah and the big elephant, Florida State. When FSU's politicans, alumni, and money talked, the NCAA policy was quicky revised as the NCAA had egg all over its face.

I'm convinced that if Standing Rock took a vote tomorrow and 100% of the population turned out and not a single vote was cast in favor of ditching the Fighting Sioux nickname, the NCAA would STILL find a way to punish UND for questioning its authoritarian rule.

• Upvote 1

Everyone forgets that the NCAA policy initially included schools such as Utah and the big elephant, Florida State. When FSU's politicans, alumni, and money talked, the NCAA policy was quicky revised as the NCAA had egg all over its face.

I'm convinced that if Standing Rock took a vote tomorrow and 100% of the population turned out and not a single vote was cast in favor of ditching the Fighting Sioux nickname, the NCAA would STILL find a way to punish UND for questioning its authoritarian rule.

Are you suggesting the NC$$ would engage in double-standards and hypocrisy? :devil::whistling:

In your wildest dreams. Take off the depth perception blinders for a minute and think about it. Not everyone worships the ground he walks on as you do. How many Frozen Four failures? How bad he got outcoached by Red last year, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights during that game? Don't think that all that would not count outside of GF.

I don't worship the ground that he walks on... As for last season's "Frozen Failure" as you call it. Since when does the head coach control how well the opposition's goalie plays?

Don't think for one millisecond that Wisconsin would have taken a forfeit in the 2008 Champs Sports Bowl against Florida State REGARDLESS of their university policy. They would have pulled out the old "it's a bowl game, not an officially-sanctioned NCAA event" card and played anyways. For all of you hockey fans who think Minnesota and Wisconsin will play UND home-and-away EVERY single season, let me remind you that Michigan was once a member of the WCHA. When is the last time you saw a regular season match-up with the Wolverines in Grand Forks OR Ann Arbor?

I don't disagree with you.

I am just saying that it doesn't matter.

We gotta ditch the Sioux name. If the SL tribe wins their court case against the NC$$, great. We get the name back. If not, we'll probably choose a new one in a few years.

Does this piss me off? You bet. But, that's the way it goes. Life isn't always fair.

His point is that most schools would rather hire a coach with a proven record of success as a head coach than hire a good assistant coach for his first time as a head coach. Hak, Blais and Gino were all hired as a head coach in the same place where they had worked as an assistant coach. Other schools may have been more hesitant to hire them for their first time as a head coach.

And what schools would this be? Sandelin was hired with no college head coaching experiance.

In your wildest dreams. Take off the depth perception blinders for a minute and think about it. Not everyone worships the ground he walks on as you do. How many Frozen Four failures? How bad he got outcoached by Red last year, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights during that game? Don't think that all that would not count outside of GF.

As stated a while back in another thread...I enjoy fans who think of Hakstol as a "failure" because UND hasn't won the NCAA championship under his reign...

Jack Parker: 37 years as a head coach - 3 NCAA titles (1978, 1995, 2009)

Jerry York: 39 years as a head coach - 4 NCAA titles (1984 [bowling Green], 2001, 2008, 2010)

Red Berenson: 26 years as a head coach - 2 NCAA titles (1996, 1998)

Using your logic, I can only assume that you think all three of those coaches should have been canned during their dry-spell years between NCAA titles, correct? Jack Parker, a 14 year stretch with no NCAA titles, a failure? Jerry York, 1984 to 2001 and nothing in between? Red, with all that talent at Michigan and just two titles?

Winning a national championship apparently isn't as easy as you think.

• Upvote 2

hakstol is not that good of a coach, he has done less with talent than anyone i have ever met, last year was an embarrasement.... i would take blais over hak any day of the week

Big words...please, enlighten us all with your coaching expertise and how you would do more with such talent.

Don't think for one millisecond that Wisconsin would have taken a forfeit in the 2008 Champs Sports Bowl against Florida State REGARDLESS of their university policy.

Wisconsin follows NCAA "best practices" when scheduling. That means Wisconsin won't schedule teams under NCAA sanction. FSU is not under sanction. UND is.

Wisconsin follows NCAA "best practices" when scheduling. That means Wisconsin won't schedule teams under NCAA sanction. FSU is not under sanction. UND is.

I completely understand that, Sicatoka. My point is that even if Florida State WAS under sanction by the NCAA at the time of the 2008 Champs Sports Bowl, somehow, someway, Wisconsin would have finnagled around that policy and played that game. There was far too much money to be lost if they didn't play it. (note: The Badgers were waxed by FSU anyways). Do you think Wisconsin officials had enough backbone to stand upon their principle belief with thousands of dollars in bowl revenue at stake? No way.

I don't worship the ground that he walks on... As for last season's "Frozen Failure" as you call it. Since when does the head coach control how well the opposition's goalie plays?

They did not lose because of a goalie. He was outcoached plain and simple and your denial of this fact would lead someone (along with your other posts and your blog) that you do.

We gotta ditch the Sioux name. If the SL tribe wins their court case against the NC$$, great. We get the name back. If not, we'll probably choose a new one in a few years.

Anybody seriously hanging their hat on SL's litigation may be sorely disappointed. The NC$$ is not going to settle unless they believe they are going to lose, and they don't appear to be of that mind.

They did not lose because of a goalie. He was outcoached plain and simple and your denial of this fact would lead someone (along with your other posts and your blog) that you do.

I was at the game and concur that Hakstol appeared to be outcoached by Red. Red's "delay-the-game" tactics clearly worked and slowed down the Fighting Sioux. The shots on goal by the Sioux were hardly scoring-chance worthy...plenty of easy saves. You could feel the frustration with the crowd every time UND dumped the puck in the zone on the power play only to watch Michigan promptly swat it back down the ice. Two days later, the frustration was even moreso when it was obvious that Scott Sandelin had watched the semi-final game. UMD carried the puck into the zone on every power play...and it worked.

Outcoached in one game? Yes. Deserving of continuing bashing because of it? No.