SiouxSports.com Forum

Here is the latest from S.A.B.

Goon

you guys act like i am bashing the messiah, i started going to sioux games in 1982, i liked gino and blais, great coaches, have met them both, seemed like they could get more production out of less talented players. 87 team had talent level similar to last years team, gino got it done hak didnt.

• Upvote 1

Examples of Hak being outcoahced by Red:

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey/2006/03/24/michigan-vs-north-dakota/

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey/2007/03/24/north-dakota-vs-michigan/

But Red must be a genius because during the Frozen Four against UND, he told his goalie not to let any pucks in and that's what happened. I'll bet Red also told his team to outscore the Sioux to guarantee the win. The man's IQ must be through the roof.

you guys act like i am bashing the messiah, i started going to sioux games in 1982, i liked gino and blais, great coaches, have met them both, seemed like they could get more production out of less talented players. 87 team had talent level similar to last years team, gino got it done hak didnt.

Gino also lost a National Title game too as did Blais. There are lots of variables when you play a game like if you run into a hot goaltender its pretty hard to score. But as a fan as you say you are I am sure you are aware of this.

actually i have met and played under numerous coaches.

Tell me what program wouldn't be proud of a 7 year history that included:

2 regular season championships

3 playoff championships

5 Frozen Fours

If Dave Hakstol coached at St Cloud, they'd be building a statue of him in front of the St Cloud National Concrete Center.

• Upvote 2

Tell me what program wouldn't be proud of a 7 year history that included:

2 regular season championships

3 playoff championships

5 Frozen Fours

If Dave Hakstol coached at St Cloud, they'd be building a statue of him in front of the St Cloud National Concrete Center.

The University of kingranch. He would demand nothing less than 7 National Titles.

And the 1998 and 1999 teams had talent level similar to last year's team as well...are you criticizing Blais for not 'getting it done'?

What's your point?

my point is i like blais and gino better than hak

Time heals all wounds...I remember people screaming for Gino's head during the decline of the program from about 1990-1995 and the complaints about Dean when the 1998 and 1999 teams fell short of expectations.

Time heals all wounds...I remember people screaming for Gino's head during the decline of the program from about 1990-1995 and the complaints about Dean when the 1998 and 1999 teams fell short of expectations.

Gino was more of a product of good assistants than his talent as a coach. When Dean left the first time the program went downhill.

Gino was more of a product of good assistants than his talent as a coach. When Dean left the first time the program went downhill.

I still think Gino was a good coach, much like I still think Jeff Sauer and Doug Woog were good coaches. I concur that after Dean left in 1989, the Sioux program steadily declined. That 1988-89 freshman class had a lot of unfilled potential. Throw in Brent Bobyck, Dixon Ward, and others, I am still stunned at the lack of tournament success for that bunch.

And what schools would this be? Sandelin was hired with no college head coaching experiance.

Assistant coaches are hired as head coaches every year. And every school will have different priorities when hiring a coach. But most schools would hire someone that has proven success as a head coach on that level as their first choice. Proven assistants with experience at that school would also be highly prized, especially at schools that like to promote from within and at a lot of successful programs. The next level of choice would be proven assistants at succesful programs. And successful head coaches at a lower level would get some consideration.

UND has proven that they like to hire from within. Gino was not the first choice for that position, but he ended up getting it doing well. Blais was well thought of when he was at UND originally, but he went to the high school level so that he could get head coaching experience. That and his relationships at UND helped him get the job. And Hak was part of the program for a long time, that definitely helped him get the job. Sandelin was part of a successful program at UND. That definitely helped him when he was being interviewed for the Duluth position.

Obviously you don't like Hakstol. In this discussion, Hak has had a successful run as a head coach at the collegiate level. He has done everything but win a national championship, and has regularly had his teams in the tournament. Most schools with head coach openings would be interested in talking to him about their job. Some NHL teams might consider talking to him about a head coaching job, and many would probably be interested in talking to him about an assistant job if he was interested in that. Guentzel has had a good run as an assistant, but not as a head coach at the collegiate level. He has had experience as a head coach at the USHL level, but hasn't been able to get hired at the college level. He could get a shot at a head coaching job, and very well might at UNO when Blais leaves, but most schools would probably rank Hakstol higher before talking to them. Interviews may change that based on how the personalities and goals fit.