SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

I am confused - SDSU lists 14 "recruited walk-ons". I would assume that term means the same as PWO. They signed 17 kids - not sure how their roster can support 14 walk-ons - unless some of them won't join the team until after school starts but I wouldn't think they would be considered "recruited walk-ons".

I am confused - SDSU lists 14 "recruited walk-ons". I would assume that term means the same as PWO. They signed 17 kids - not sure how their roster can support 14 walk-ons - unless some of them won't join the team until after school starts but I wouldn't think they would be considered "recruited walk-ons".

Maybe they don't have their 63 scholarships split up between 85 players giving their more room for walk-ons? Not sure.

Kind of reminds me of the Aarin Smith situation from a couple years ago. I believe that was academically related. Of, course with Opara committing the morning of signing day they might not have any scholarship money for him. I would say either one of these two explanations would be the reason for the Opara situation.

Anybody know the answer to this one about Opara??

I had heard there were academic concerns, but nothing positive about that. The reason we're thinking he's not actually coming is because there hasn't been anything noted by the school itself - you would think that when the NLI came in they could have added him to the list or whatever. Again, I'm hoping he's coming because of his abilities, but would like the school to confirm it.

Kind of reminds me of the Aarin Smith situation from a couple years ago. I believe that was academically related. Of, course with Opara committing the morning of signing day they might not have any scholarship money for him. I would say either one of these two explanations would be the reason for the Opara situation.

I believe they have some scholarship money available, as they appear to always keep some room for things that go on after NSD. And they didn't take a CB, so it doesn't appear as if they can say the position is full.

I believe they have some scholarship money available, as they appear to always keep some room for things that go on after NSD. And they didn't take a CB, so it doesn't appear as if they can say the position is full.

That makes since. I can't remember if he was a PWO or not but the LB from Texas last year came far after the signing day. I hope that a CB does show up but at this point it sounds like a LB is all they are expecting. Thanks for the info.

Is it possible UND is giving him a scholarship and he will spend the next year getting eligible? Not sure if that would prevent UND from talking about it but if academics is the issue maybe that is the case? Or is it not possible to give him a scholarship if he doesn't play/redshirt right away? I know other schools including NDSU has had luck doing this in the past (Williams/Crockett) but don't know the details on the scholarships were handled.

It's academics for Opara. Positive.

He never even 'officially' visited UND. Really odd.

I had heard that there were concerns about Jaried Combs too, who is also in the article with Opara. He signed with Illinois State, and he is listed on the Illinois State website as having signed. This whole thing is as strange as can be.

I had heard that there were concerns about Jaried Combs too, who is also in the article with Opara. He signed with Illinois State, and he is listed on the Illinois State website as having signed. This whole thing is as strange as can be.

My sources say Combs is not getting into Illinois State either. They may have signed him or said they are going to and announced it as such, but he does not have the grades either. How can their high school allow them to do this? What a mess.

It is interesting that Rivals no longer has LB Ramesh and RB Smith going to UW and Utah, respectively. Both were offered by UND. Ramesh isn't included in the Badger press release but one website says he did sign and will grey-shirt. I didn't do any homework on Smith.

Not meant to get our hopes up - neither will end up with us.

My sources say Combs is not getting into Illinois State either. They may have signed him or said they are going to and announced it as such, but he does not have the grades either. How can their high school allow them to do this? What a mess.

Agreed. Have heard Combs, Opara and Akeem Roller all are academic casualties. Look for these guys to end up going the Juco route.

I'd say there is a 5% chance of Opara getting everything in order to attend UND by this fall. I hope I'm wrong. Would love to see him there.

Agreed. Have heard Combs, Opara and Akeem Roller all are academic casualties. Look for these guys to end up going the Juco route.

I'd say there is a 5% chance of Opara getting everything in order to attend UND by this fall. I hope I'm wrong. Would love to see him there.

That is some pretty good talent. Hopefully those guys get everything straightened out. Thanks for the update.

I wondered about Roller, he had quite a few offers and I saw somewhere today he was going to some obscure college, must be a JUCO.

To clean up our offer list even more on Wiki, we can update the following:

• Tony Gumina - Wisconsin - Whitewater
  • Mitch Wehrli - Colorado Mesa
  • Tyler Rogers - Air Force
  • Mike Langman - Dartmouth
  • Dean Helt - Illinois State
  • Tyler Lloyd - Iowa Western
  • Akeem Roller - Iowa Western
  • Direll Clark - Winona State (must have been a non-qualifier with offers from Purdue and Minnesota)

Can't find anything on Kenneth Kidd, Frankie Felix, Grant Bartell or Reshon Watson.

To clean up our offer list even more on Wiki, we can update the following:

• Tony Gumina - Wisconsin - Whitewater
  • Mitch Wehrli - Colorado Mesa
  • Tyler Rogers - Air Force
  • Mike Langman - Dartmouth
  • Dean Helt - Illinois State
  • Tyler Lloyd - Iowa Western
  • Akeem Roller - Iowa Western
  • Direll Clark - Winona State (must have been a non-qualifier with offers from Purdue and Minnesota)

Can't find anything on Kenneth Kidd, Frankie Felix, Grant Bartell or Reshon Watson.

Those two really surprise me. Both of them had a lot of offers.