SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

I agree with NDSIOUXFAN1. Every QB talked about on every thread has mechanics problems according to geaux_sioux. Using Tim Tebow is a terrible example. Are his mechanics poor, of course. Is his leadership, toughness, athletic ability and character awesome! Yes!!

Your listing of throwing mechanics is very average and actually somewhat inaccurate. Did you get that list from "Coaching QBs for Dummies" or watching some Gruden video on ESPN?

You get the opportunity to critique talent that coaches have already found. If you are negative on all of them, when they fail you are always right. Some will not succeed and others will prove to be successful. It's not like UND gets to select it's next set of QBs, they will select UND.

UND has had it's share of great and average QBs over the 31 years that I have followed or been a part of the program. You can always find a flaw in any athlete at any position.

Go Sioux!!!

I am starting to think that geaux_sioux thinks he knows what he is talking about, but actually has no clue. It seems every QB mentioned he has a problem with mechanics in some way shape or form. Not that any coach reads this forum, but with the little knowledge he does spew, people actually believe some of it.

The football program would love to have a kid transfer in from a top BCS school (no chance it will happen) and for anyone on this site that actually does know what real mechanics look like for a QB, he provides a chuckle.

Since I have no clue on the subject feel free to correct my points instead of offering nothing.

I agree with NDSIOUXFAN1. Every QB talked about on every thread has mechanics problems according to geaux_sioux. Using Tim Tebow is a terrible example. Are his mechanics poor, of course. Is his leadership, toughness, athletic ability and character awesome! Yes!!

Your listing of throwing mechanics is very average and actually somewhat inaccurate. Did you get that list from "Coaching QBs for Dummies" or watching some Gruden video on ESPN?

You get the opportunity to critique talent that coaches have already found. If you are negative on all of them, when they fail you are always right. Some will not succeed and others will prove to be successful. It's not like UND gets to select it's next set of QBs, they will select UND.

UND has had it's share of great and average QBs over the 31 years that I have followed or been a part of the program. You can always find a flaw in any athlete at any position.

Go Sioux!!!

Go back and read my post. Then make corrections since you see some holes. Also notice the reason i stated for not wanting him to come to und was because of team chemistry not his ability.

I reread the the post where you said his arm is awful and he can't throw in a windy stadium. Still struggling to figure out how he even made it to a program like Ok State. By reading your assessment and not knowing who the subject is, I would think you are talking about a high school JV kid. You're much too critical of a kid that is a pretty elite athlete. You are talking about a kid that had 12 BCS offers, graduated early and won the starting job during spring ball when his high school teammates were going to prom.

Analyzing throwing mechanics is similar to doing the same with a golf swing. Some are more efficient than others but the bottom line is the result. I agree with some of what you post regarding the "spinning" of the ball but questioning whether he could complete passes in the state of Washington or Montana seems silly.

I disagree on chemistry, if this kid arrived in Grand Forks, balloons and confetti would fall from the Alerus rafters. Bad chemistry is when players don't get along, don't like each other, don't like to be around each other. I'm guessing they would find a lot to like about Wes Lunt.

Let's agree to disagree and move on since this isn't going to happen.

I reread the the post where you said his arm is awful and he can't throw in a windy stadium.

Interesting. I don't recall saying he has an 'awful' arm and 'can't throw in a windy stadium'. You must have read that somewhere else. What I did say was that his mechanics are awful, not his arm. I also said that his awful mechanics could lead to inconsistent throws from time to time which in a windy environment would not be good. Never said he can't throw in a windy stadium.

I honestly think that the coaches are so pleased with Mollberg and Bartels that finding another Braden Hanson is the last thing on their mind.

I thought they both looked good in the spring. We were running very vanilla stuff and they both made good throws and protected the ball well.

There is a lot of room to adjust some things on the offense next season fit each ones strengths and both guys are open about pushing each other which will only make them better. There is a lot to be excited about with both.

Having the quality WRs on the roster is going to help the confidence of the QBs a ton. They will allow bigger windows and create separation to make for some easier throws. That being said, the running game is going to have to be solid to take pressure off them as well. 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3 is less taxing than 3rd and long.

We will know a lot about how the season is going to roll after South Dakota State departs the Alerus. They were a solid MVC team last year and have a lot of key returning players. A win on 9/7 and I think we can feel some confidence about a play-off birth.

Since I have no clue on the subject feel free to correct my points instead of offering nothing.

So far on here I have seen you rip a highly recruited QB out of Minnesota and a Big 12 QB for mechanics. Apparently college coaches see things that you don't. If you would like to pick a video to break down mechanics, I would love to do that with you.

So far on here I have seen you rip a highly recruited QB out of Minnesota and a Big 12 QB for mechanics. Apparently college coaches see things that you don't. If you would like to pick a video to break down mechanics, I would love to do that with you.

Look at those guys mechanics. Neither are ideal. Luckily they're both young and will be able to make them better. I don't get why people get so upset about a critique about mechanics. They're important for a qb but don't tell the whole story. It's between the ears that's most important as is the case with every position. Mechanics are very important though and when coupled with other great attributes you get great things like with Warren Moon and Joe Montana. A good example of a guy that didn't have ideal mechanics is Steve Young. Worked out just fine for him but cases like his are the minority.

Look at those guys mechanics. Neither are ideal. Luckily they're both young and will be able to make them better. I don't get why people get so upset about a critique about mechanics. They're important for a qb but don't tell the whole story. It's between the ears that's most important as is the case with every position. Mechanics are very important though and when coupled with other great attributes you get great things like with Warren Moon and Joe Montana. A good example of a guy that didn't have ideal mechanics is Steve Young. Worked out just fine for him but cases like his are the minority.

A good example of a college QB with poor mechanics is Taylor Martinez of Nebraska. He can run but he lobs the ball instead of a pure pass. We need someone that can throw the ball with accuracy and power or else the WR's are useless no matter how good they are.

A good example of a college QB with poor mechanics is Taylor Martinez of Nebraska. He can run but he lobs the ball instead of a pure pass. We need someone that can throw the ball with accuracy and power or else the WR's are useless no matter how good they are.

There are plenty of examples of poor mechanics or arm strength, but you have to look at what type of offense they were recruited for. Martinez was not brought into a pass happy offense, they run spread, speed option and utilize their running attack to open up play action. They are not a team that is typically going to throw for 300 yards a game, but more interested in forcing opponents to roll up a safety and get man coverage.

UND needs a QB that has solid arm strength and accuracy and smart enough to run the offense, make the right reads, while managing the game. In my opinion, a good QB makes average WR's look great, so with the talent we have at receiver, bringing in a solid, smart, pro-style QB, regardless of mechanics is much more important than what his perceived throwing motion looks like to the average fan.

Unless you are or have been a college/professional QB coach, you probably don't have enough knowledge to be breaking down the mechanics of anyone, so please leave that to the ones who are paid to do so and quit shredding potential players that may decide not to come to UND, because of the negativity and will go somewhere they are appreciated.

There are plenty of examples of poor mechanics or arm strength, but you have to look at what type of offense they were recruited for. Martinez was not brought into a pass happy offense, they run spread, speed option and utilize their running attack to open up play action. They are not a team that is typically going to throw for 300 yards a game, but more interested in forcing opponents to roll up a safety and get man coverage.

UND needs a QB that has solid arm strength and accuracy and smart enough to run the offense, make the right reads, while managing the game. In my opinion, a good QB makes average WR's look great, so with the talent we have at receiver, bringing in a solid, smart, pro-style QB, regardless of mechanics is much more important than what his perceived throwing motion looks like to the average fan.

Unless you are or have been a college/professional QB coach, you probably don't have enough knowledge to be breaking down the mechanics of anyone, so please leave that to the ones who are paid to do so and quit shredding potential players that may decide not to come to UND, because of the negativity and will go somewhere they are appreciated.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... throttle back a bit.....I don't think any kid is going to make his decision about whether to come to UND or not go to UND based upon something a guy who likes to pretend he is Jon Gruden on siouxsports.com says about his mechanics.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... throttle back a bit.....I don't think any kid is going to make his decision about whether to come to UND or not go to UND based upon something a guy who likes to pretend he is Jon Gruden on siouxsports.com says about his mechanics.

I will agree with you that they may not make a decision, but I do know for a fact that kids look at these message boards and if he feels as though he isn't going to be as excepted or the fans are excited about him going there, he may lean towards a different school.

You think a recruit is going to give a !@#$ what me or the average fan thinks? If Mollberg has a bad game and we rip him here is he going to transfer? Dude this is a message board where a fan or non-fan can type and give their 2 cents. They did this sort of thing before the Internet...it's called the newspaper. So calm down, drink your coffee and have a good day.

The problem is you haters are acting like I'm talking about your little Johnny who can do no wrong and is the best. Also you guys are being very selective in what you read. My critique of the Wilke kid was actually really positive and I said he has the potential to be great, but since I said the poor kid needs to work on a couple things I'm an ass hole with delusions of grandeur. Right...

I will agree with you that they may not make a decision, but I do know for a fact that kids look at these message boards and if he feels as though he isn't going to be as excepted or the fans are excited about him going there, he may lean towards a different school.

Although I agree that some of the negativity gets to be a bit much sometimes, have you ever looked at other schools message boards? I think our's is still quite tame compared to some that are out there...

• Upvote 1

I think we have to agree that players, parents and probably relatives read any board where "little Johnny" is being talked about. Does this board effect recruiting, probably not. I doubt Muss is scanning the message boards to get opinions on throwing mechanics, LB pursuit, DB man-coverage ability, etc. I'm sure most of the recruits get a chuckle out of random posts about them. If they take anything negative about their ability to heart, they probably shouldn't play D1 sports. The amount of attacks on recruits via message boards, Facebook and Twitter are amazing. I think college coaches want to know if a kid can handle online criticism. If you find a player that Tweets back at an attacker, I would Flag that kid as a questionable. They would lack maturity and judgement to handle the media or let it hurt their play.

With that, we have to realize that UND isn't going to sign players with any "stars" by their name on Rivals.com. If they didn't have some flaw out of HS they would likely play for a BCS team. So it will be easy to criticize most all of the potential recruits in some way.

With that, we have to realize that UND isn't going to sign players with any "stars" by their name on Rivals.com. If they didn't have some flaw out of HS they would likely play for a BCS team. So it will be easy to criticize most all of the potential recruits in some way.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Aeron-Carr-140141

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Norberg-146208

Looks like somebody needs to do his homework.

• Upvote 2

Although I agree that some of the negativity gets to be a bit much sometimes, have you ever looked at other schools message boards? I think our's is still quite tame compared to some that are out there...

You ever been on here after the hockey team gets pounded? ;)

Touche' geaux_sioux. Of course neither kid had an offer above FCS. I just wish I knew their flaws that kept them from the BCS level. I'm sure if I surf through some old threads I can find them...

It's a numbers game, there are too many good football players out there for FBS schools to get them all. Also we have some coaches on staff who can really recruit. I'm not a huge fan of the whole rivals stars thing though, Golladay had none and is lightyears ahead of a 2 star WR in Fletcher. Our coaches have been finding some diamonds in the rough.

By the way, I love the pic, Muhammad Ali is my favorite athlete of all time.

The problem is you haters are acting like I'm talking about your little Johnny who can do no wrong and is the best. Also you guys are being very selective in what you read. My critique of the Wilke kid was actually really positive and I said he has the potential to be great, but since I said the poor kid needs to work on a couple things I'm an ass hole with delusions of grandeur. Right...

I am not talking about anyone in particular, although I did go back and look at your comments and the word "awful" was used. I just find it amazing that you have very little positive on any recruit or transfer. Most fans of a DI-AA school would be excited at the possibility of a Big 12 QB coming to play, but it seems that many on this board want to find fault or criticize some aspect of him. This isn't just about him, this is my rant against negativity.

My point is that it gets old reading posts from wanna be analysts that shred kids in a attempt to make themselves look smart. I understand that you may not think a certain player is a good fit, good person or even a good player, but please remember that these are just kids trying to get a education.

I am not talking about anyone in particular, although I did go back and look at your comments and the word "awful" was used. I just find it amazing that you have very little positive on any recruit or transfer. Most fans of a DI-AA school would be excited at the possibility of a Big 12 QB coming to play, but it seems that many on this board want to find fault or criticize some aspect of him. This isn't just about him, this is my rant against negativity.

My point is that it gets old reading posts from wanna be analysts that shred kids in a attempt to make themselves look smart. I understand that you may not think a certain player is a good fit, good person or even a good player, but please remember that these are just kids trying to get a education.

I think geaux_Sioux was always quite positive and complimentary of Braden Hanson when he was coming in from UNC. And his enthusiasm over him only grew as he saw him perform at UND, and justifiably so. So, in fairness, not all transfers have gotten the stink eye from GS.

This is the last time I'm responding to you on this because it's becoming very apparent that you lack the requisite ability to comprehend what you read which is important when trying to make a point. I did not say he was an awful football player, kid, athlete, or fit. What I said was that he has awful mechanics. I complimented the kid on literally everything except his mechanics. Strong arm, mobile, tall, big frame, quick feet, toughness and qualities of his. The main point in my post was that he could end up at UND because of his mechanics and we would reap the benefits. In no way shape or form did I shred this kid, he's a good player and I hope we get him. If he had nothing to work on he'd be playing in the SEC and would be the 1st overall pick three years later. God forbid someone would dare to say he has anything that isn't perfect. There's nothing wrong with being honest.