SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

If anything having a kid will make him grow up in a hurry and could make him a great leader. I checked his twitter and he's seems pumped to have the baby in his life so I'm sure he'll make things work for his young family.

I agree I just think that having a kid will make it very hard to be so far away. I believe he originally wanted to stay close to home and go to Linfield a D3 school but the scholarship money was too good to pass up from UND compared to the price he would have had to pay to go to Linfield.

Here's a quote from http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/argus/index.ssf/2013/01/column_sam_riddle_faces_the_re.html about going to Linfield:

"If I had $25,000 a year to pay them, I would do it in a heartbeat," Riddle told me. "If it could work out I would definitely be going there, but that's not the case."

I agree I just think that having a kid will make it very hard to be so far away. I believe he originally wanted to stay close to home and go to Linfield a D3 school but the scholarship money was too good to pass up from UND compared to the price he would have had to pay to go to Linfield.

Here's a quote from http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/argus/index.ssf/2013/01/column_sam_riddle_faces_the_re.html about going to Linfield:

"If I had $25,000 a year to pay them, I would do it in a heartbeat," Riddle told me. "If it could work out I would definitely be going there, but that's not the case."

That will all serve to put him on a mission. I had to live away from my fiancé at the time ( now my wife) for two years in college and my grades were almost perfect during that stretch because I had such drive to get everything done and do it well since I had to be away from the love of my life for something so I might as well not make it a waste of time and heartache. Factor in a kid to the equation and its ten fold. I'd expect him to kick some serious ass in school and in football since he's away from his family.

• 2 weeks later...

Still planning on North Dakota according to this piece.... Century coach Bill Smith excited to run offense with elite players

Smith is coaching in the game for the second time in his career after leading Century to a third-place finish in the Pacific Conference and to the second round of the Class 6A state playoffs. The Jaguars, led by quarterback Sam Riddle, who is one of the North's two quarterbacks, averaged nearly 42 points per game out of a pistol offensive formation. Smith said he's thrilled to be able to coach his quarterback one last time before he embarks on a playing career at the University of North Dakota.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.buglenewspapers.com/enterprise/sports/article_d0abb56e-e806-11e2-92da-0019bb30f31a.html

Thanks to his performance in those sports, Palandech is the 2013 Voyager Media Male Athlete of the Year.

“It means a lot to me,” Palandech said. “My father and brother both played three sports and were successful. I have the same competitive attitude. I didn’t want to quit any of the sports. I have no regrets, I enjoyed playing all of them. The only disadvantage was keeping my weight up. But playing the different sports helped me improve as an athlete.”

On the football field, Palandech played on both sides of the ball. He was a quarterback on the 7-3 football team and also played defensive back. He finished the year with 684 rushing yards and seven touchdowns, while throwing for 981 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was also the team MVP.

“Kurt has been a great leader for us and made so many plays for us on both sides of the ball,” North football coach Tim Kane said. “As a QB he is dangerous due to his speed, athleticism and throwing ability. Numerous times he has made positive yardage plays when it had looked like a play for a loss.”

While he seemed to always get around the defense on offense, he used his speed on the other end of the field as well.

“I love all three sports, by football is my No. 1 sport,” Palandech stated. “Everyone looks to you as a quarterback and you are a leader. I would use my speed on defense too when we went up against a fast receiver. I never wanted to be on the sidelines.”

Palandech was rarely on the sidelines during his high school career. He was on the varsity team as a sophomore in both basketball and baseball and was moved up for the playoff game his sophomore year in football, where he teamed with his brother Kyle on a long pass.

“It meant a lot (to play varsity all three sports as a sophomore),” Kurt said. “It was nice playing with my brother in all three sports. It was a fun experience.”

Palandech batted .456 in baseball and was the second leading rebounder on the team in basketball.

Palandech will be playing football at North Dakota University in the fall.

If that 4.5 speed is accurate, this kid could really help us at safety in the future. At 200 lbs, he has nice size.

And he'll get faster and bigger. The strength and conditioning staff is second to none. Just look at how they transformed Golladay in one year or Hardin over his career.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Agreed. Have heard Combs, Opara and Akeem Roller all are academic casualties. Look for these guys to end up going the Juco route.

I'd say there is a 5% chance of Opara getting everything in order to attend UND by this fall. I hope I'm wrong. Would love to see him there.

Just to update, assuming anyone cares, both Opara and Combs are at Iowa Central CC. Maybe it will pan out that Opara will be in a UND uniform in a year or two, but likely doubtful (Aarin Smith anyone??).

• 2 months later...

I can't wait to see Kuksa play after he's put on 25 lbs. He'll be faster and swing a bigger stick.

I fully expect Kuksa and Reyes to be our starting safeties next season. Unless we end up with new leadership and they fall in love with Javen Butler and get him in the lineup. I mean, it's tough not to because he just looks like a DI football player.

I fully expect Kuksa and Reyes to be our starting safeties next season. Unless we end up with new leadership and they fall in love with Javen Butler and get him in the lineup. I mean, it's tough not to because he just looks like a DI football player.

I keep wondering if he wouldn't make a good lb

• 3 weeks later...