SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

Mat Cox, Olympia, Wash., article between his junior and senior years:

http://www.northwest...a-de-mat-cox-3/

This publication put Cox at #61 for Top 140 juniors in the State of Washington in 2011:

http://northwestelit...1/watop140.html

This publication has Cox as a top college recruit in Washington:

http://www.northwest...2013-washington

"First team athlete from Olympia. A really nice big frame and he moves well too. His film is really nice and he is going to be a guy we follow as the season gets going!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RHwZa3QCq4

Sooo how does everyone feel about this class?

There was a couple of guys I wish we had landed or had academically cleared like Skibinsky Opara Redmond Favors and Thurmond.

Overall I love the size that was brought in. I like the idea of moving a smalled DE to LB more than a slow S to LB. This should make us more stout on the edges in the future. I bet one DL and one OL as well as a safety get shirts pulled next fall. Some nice project guys in this class as well like Williams and Riddle. Overall it seems that all of the signees are legit D1 Big Sky caliber players that have the good athletically to take us where we need to go. 2-3 years from now is when we'll obviously know how this class pans out, but right now they look well balanced and talented.

Also of note, there seem to be alot of very smart kids in this class with some serious GPAs.

Don't mistake bitterness or pettiness for born-and-bred hatred. It usually goes both ways in this state. You're an anomaly who sits on the sidelines and does not get to enjoy the rivalry as much as the rest of us who have marked our territroy and taken a side -- whether its UND or NDSU. You live in this nebulus murkiness of boring objectivity and you value your impartiality as somehow riteous and holier than the rest of us rubes who bleed the colors of one or the other. IMHO, that kind of stand is both extremely boring and gutless. Take a stand; pick a side and join the fight. The rest of us will continue to be fanatics of the team we love -- UND or NDSU or whatever -- and drink the kool-aid of that program and tell the others that their flavor tastes like crap :) It's fun; try it sometime.

Early favorite to be nominated for 2013 post of the year....

• Upvote 1

Went to the get together at the Alerus. First time. Was hoping for a few more people, but the food was very nice to have and listening to each coach talk about their position group signees was nice. How did this year compare to others (mainly attendance)?

I was saving watching many of the recruit films until tonight. Wow did we get a lot of size. I was very impressed with the safeties. Forgive me I'm not good with the names, but the Illinois one was one heavy hitter. That just seems like something you can't teach/coach. Also that Cheatom didn't have the height, but dang could he move guys. And the comment that Breitbach (?) made was that one of the two dl would be playing right away.

Also sounds like that Cox was originally lower on our board, but with losing the recruit to Northern Illinois he was pleasant addition this morning. So maybe we called him back after losing the recruit or maybe we just got lucky???

Also JJ Robertson is already showing he is a beast and one of the strongest in weight room.

I believe we will look back at this class as a game changer. The class was very good. And this class will add depth to our receivers and qb position. Offense will improve this yr and next. Defense added depth and some will lose their shirts. We lost a couple close games last year. This year if. And if we win our first four games we have a chance for playoffs. Nice transition. Of course. Highlight films need to represent actual game situation in the big sky. I'm excited to say the least. Top to bottom UND will be proud of this class. We need to buy ticket and fill the seats. First four games are very important to a speedy raise to the top of the big sky. MSU, UM and EWU all had good recruits as well. We need to jump on some early wins. Good job to the coaches and hard job of recruiting

. The Miss Valley will be work chicago hard next year. You can count on that. Again. Great jobs to the coaches and good luck to this class and the team.

So what is the deal with Opara.... DeLaSalle's Fahning turns down a full ride for a dream | StarTribune.com

Fahning was joined by four other DeLaSalle athletes at Wednesday's signing ceremony. Teammates Jareid Combs (Illinois St.), Oscar Opara (North Dakota) and Aaron Warren (Minnesota Duluth) all signed national letters of intent, as did girls' soccer star Vanessa Johnston, who committed to Minnesota.

For Opara, a defensive back, the choice came down to the last few minutes. He said he didn't decide between Northern Iowa and North Dakota until Wednesday morning.

"It was a tough choice," Opara said. "I didn't know what I was going to do until I woke up this morning."

I do know Opara had grade issues but for him to say he "signed" with UND is strange. Makes me wonder if he did commit but couldn't sign because of something logistical, maybe a partial qualifier type of thing where he will know more in the spring when he graduates?

Hopefully this is legit - and it sounds like it may be. He had another tweet asking Kotelnicki to call him (which I thought it was a dead period, but once you receive the LOI that is probably null). This made this class that much better!!

EDIT: Oskie / Fritz - get on it :)