To clean up our offer list even more on Wiki, we can update the following:
  • Tony Gumina - Wisconsin - Whitewater
  • Mitch Wehrli - Colorado Mesa
  • Tyler Rogers - Air Force
  • Mike Langman - Dartmouth
  • Dean Helt - Illinois State
  • Tyler Lloyd - Iowa Western
  • Akeem Roller - Iowa Western
  • Direll Clark - Winona State (must have been a non-qualifier with offers from Purdue and Minnesota)

Can't find anything on Kenneth Kidd, Frankie Felix, Grant Bartell or Reshon Watson.

Thanks for doing the homework - I hadn't been able to get to it yet!

I am also surprised by Gumina and especially Clark! I agree he must of had qualifying issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a good combination of speed and power to me; a good hard-nosed runner. Hope he ends up at UND.

I believe this young man now plans to attend UND. I think he can play and if he is as good as I think he looks on these films, he could be a real find. After a redshirt year and/or his first year on the field, I believe he will earn a scholarship. I also believe he has a great attitude and work ethic. Keep an eye out for this guy.

I believe this young man now plans to attend UND. I think he can play and if he is as good as I think he looks on these films, he could be a real find. After a redshirt year and/or his first year on the field, I believe he will earn a scholarship. I also believe he has a great attitude and work ethic. Keep an eye out for this guy.

Thanks for the update, Ira; that's good news.

Who is this about?

I had wondered about this young man after the discussion we had with his mother. I'm really glad to hear this news, assuming it is factual (not saying you're wrong Ira :)),as I was hoping he would be coming to UND.

What an interesting situation - wouldn't it be great if this young man became a big-time contributor for us?

• 1 month later...

I believe that Molberg and Bartels are ahead of schedule and are going to do well. However, when you have the chance to pick up a QB of this caliber to throw to the receivers that we have... it might not be a bad idea to take a look:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/wes-lunt-transfer-oklahoma-state-152701066.html#more-29067

What are you smoking that you think that kid would transfer to Grand Forks, ND?!

From this: http://www.okstate.c...ns-stadium.html

to shoveling the snow off Memorial Stadium to have spring practice. Get real dude!

True, that would be like going from this: 72706396.UAbNONMq.jpg

to this: Vermont_original_display_image.jpg

Oh wait, that happened? It's amazing what playing time will do to someone making a decision.

True, that would be like going from this: 72706396.UAbNONMq.jpg

to this: Vermont_original_display_image.jpg

Oh wait, that happened? It's amazing what playing time will do to someone making a decision.

While the arena in the top picture looks very nice, there are no butts in the seats watching the game. At least people are filling up the arena in the bottom picture. :lol:;)

I believe that Molberg and Bartels are ahead of schedule and are going to do well. However, when you have the chance to pick up a QB of this caliber to throw to the receivers that we have... it might not be a bad idea to take a look:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/wes-lunt-transfer-oklahoma-state-152701066.html#more-29067

I wouldn't want him because it would be bad for team chemistry. Also his mechanics are god awful. I'm not sure how someone with a long sloppy motion could be ranked so high other than his being 6'5" and having an above average arm in terms of strength. Mollberg and Bartels are the future and the future is bright.

He might not be good enough to start here. Our #1 QB is 6'2" and 230lbs. He has a big arm and can make all the throws. He is athletic and can run the ball. Protected the ball well in the spring game. is only a freshman but is avery good freshman. Our #2 guy also has a string arm and can make all the throws. Doesn't move as well but is very capable. Not sure how the Oklahoma State guy woudl compare. He may be good enough to beat these guys out but he may not.

Rivals and college coaches make mistakes all of the time. The freshman from Brainerd, who started at tackle for the AC this year wasn't offered a scholarship by Minn, NDSU or UND. He has shown he is a stud and has a great chance at playing in the NFL some day. Someone forgot to watch how well he moved for a 6' 7" kid. He had all of the tools, he just needed a college weight training program. Adam Thielen WR from Detroit Lakes was signed as a free agent by the Vikings this week. He has already turned heads in camp. UND, NDSU and Minn didn't offer him. He played at Mankato where he had a great career. Don't assume that transfers from FBS programs are always better than the kids we have.

Chemistry is a guy with rocket on his shoulder throwing it to Harin or Jackson for TDs. If Lunt decided to attend UND, the private jet would bring him up. Don't tell me you would pick to unproven RSF over a kid that is a proven BCS talent. That sir, is nonsense. But I guess if you don't like his mechanics, he's probably not very good. The 436 yards he racked up in his 2nd game as a starter/18 years old against U. Arizona must have been luck with janky mechanics...

I get sick of people that post things about QBs and discuss mechanics when they have no concept of the physiology of throwing a football. Leave that to college and NFL coaches. There are no experts on this board for that discussion.

Would we like to have Lunt? YES! Is he coming to UND? NO! We will be fine with what we have but don't rip this kid because he's transfering to be a starter.

Go Sioux!

Chemistry is a guy with rocket on his shoulder throwing it to Harin or Jackson for TDs. If Lunt decided to attend UND, the private jet would bring him up. Don't tell me you would pick to unproven RSF over a kid that is a proven BCS talent. That sir, is nonsense. But I guess if you don't like his mechanics, he's probably not very good. The 436 yards he racked up in his 2nd game as a starter/18 years old against U. Arizona must have been luck with janky mechanics...

I get sick of people that post things about QBs and discuss mechanics when they have no concept of the physiology of throwing a football. Leave that to college and NFL coaches. There are no experts on this board for that discussion.

Would we like to have Lunt? YES! Is he coming to UND? NO! We will be fine with what we have but don't rip this kid because he's transfering to be a starter.

Go Sioux!

1. His mechanics are awful. He throws like Sammy Baugh, only problem is Slingin Sammy was slingin a glorified rugby ball with how the old football were shaped and actually finished his motion with his wrist.

2. I'm actually well versed on how to throw a football and can actually spin it pretty well myself. I also know the advantages of a good release point and a quick wrist flick vs a push where the shoulder inefficiently moves ahead of the rest of the arm (which is terrible for your shoulder) and makes the ball come out low and easy to block.

3. His yards were impressive. He also plays in a spread em out pass happy system where everyone gets yards. We run a different offense, even though we now spread it out more than ever we still take plenty of snaps under center.

4. Back to mechanics. Tight mechanics means more consistency on the spiral and trajectory of the ball, which is very important when playing at Montana Montana St and Eastern Washington where wind is a factor and a tight spiral can cut through the wind. When he winds the ball up below his belt he's basically asking a DE to have it. There should never be an initial downward motion by the shoulder when starting a throw, it wastes an incredible amount of time (just ask Tim Tebow) and makes it harder to throw with touch since it makes it harder to finish with the wrist.

5. Finishing with the wrist. Lunt doesn't do it. It's hard on the shoulder and makes the release point low. The release point should be at least at the crown of the head and that's as low as it should be.

6. He's shown considerable durability concerns. Doesn't matter how good he is if he's watching from the sidelines.

Now I never said he wasn't good and couldn't win the starting job at UND. I just voiced concern over red flags and the all important team chemistry.

1. His mechanics are awful. He throws like Sammy Baugh, only problem is Slingin Sammy was slingin a glorified rugby ball with how the old football were shaped and actually finished his motion with his wrist.

2. I'm actually well versed on how to throw a football and can actually spin it pretty well myself. I also know the advantages of a good release point and a quick wrist flick vs a push where the shoulder inefficiently moves ahead of the rest of the arm (which is terrible for your shoulder) and makes the ball come out low and easy to block.

3. His yards were impressive. He also plays in a spread em out pass happy system where everyone gets yards. We run a different offense, even though we now spread it out more than ever we still take plenty of snaps under center.

4. Back to mechanics. Tight mechanics means more consistency on the spiral and trajectory of the ball, which is very important when playing at Montana Montana St and Eastern Washington where wind is a factor and a tight spiral can cut through the wind. When he winds the ball up below his belt he's basically asking a DE to have it. There should never be an initial downward motion by the shoulder when starting a throw, it wastes an incredible amount of time (just ask Tim Tebow) and makes it harder to throw with touch since it makes it harder to finish with the wrist.

5. Finishing with the wrist. Lunt doesn't do it. It's hard on the shoulder and makes the release point low. The release point should be at least at the crown of the head and that's as low as it should be.

6. He's shown considerable durability concerns. Doesn't matter how good he is if he's watching from the sidelines.

Now I never said he wasn't good and couldn't win the starting job at UND. I just voiced concern over red flags and the all important team chemistry.

I am starting to think that geaux_sioux thinks he knows what he is talking about, but actually has no clue. It seems every QB mentioned he has a problem with mechanics in some way shape or form. Not that any coach reads this forum, but with the little knowledge he does spew, people actually believe some of it.

The football program would love to have a kid transfer in from a top BCS school (no chance it will happen) and for anyone on this site that actually does know what real mechanics look like for a QB, he provides a chuckle.

• Upvote 1

I am not so sure you want to use arguably the best college football player ever as an example for your point. His poor mechanics suited him just fine at the college game, got him a heisman, and drafted in the first round. Let's be honest here though, we are a middle of the pack FCS team in the big sky conference, anyone that has the size, arm, and mechanics will be going to a big time FBS program. Mechanics by themselves don't lead to results, but they certainly help with consistency as you mentioned.

I am starting to think that geaux_sioux thinks he knows what he is talking about, but actually has no clue. It seems every QB mentioned he has a problem with mechanics in some way shape or form. Not that any coach reads this forum, but with the little knowledge he does spew, people actually believe some of it.

The football program would love to have a kid transfer in from a top BCS school (no chance it will happen) and for anyone on this site that actually does know what real mechanics look like for a QB, he provides a chuckle.

He is one of the more knowledgeable posters here, and provides insight into the game that leads to real discussion. While I don't agree with everything he says, his input is something many of us on here appreciate. If your going to call someone out on lack of knowledge, that is fine, but you better back it up with something of your own.

• Upvote 3