SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Looks like Idaho is now all alone in the WAC as a football member. Texas State to the Sunbelt and NMSU is being seriously considered.

Do you guys think Idaho can swallow their pride and rejoin the Big Sky?

They really should. I don't see any shame in it. It isn't like they have other options. They could find out what winning feels like again.

Gonzaga and Portland don't really want Seattle in the WCC plus they just added Pacific to get to ten teams so i think their options are really really limited.

Denver doesn't have much other than maybe going back to the Sun Belt but i don't see that happening bc the Sun Belt already has two bball only schools if UT-A goes there plus Denver (and NMSU for FB) are a little too west for the SB's core members.

Im more curious what NDAC's plans are when the NCC2.0 gets raided here in the next couple of weeks?

should be fun to watch NDAC fans says they are really close to a MVC invite for bball to replace Creighton if they leave the valley...

I can't see Idaho in the Independant league no more than one year. Its funny how they used to be a member of the Sun Belt when they moved up to DI but they haven't been invited back does anyone know why? IMO the Big Sky will be welcoming them back soon.

Gonzaga and Portland don't really want Seattle in the WCC plus they just added Pacific to get to ten teams so i think their options are really really limited.

Denver doesn't have much other than maybe going back to the Sun Belt but i don't see that happening bc the Sun Belt already has two bball only schools if UT-A goes there plus Denver (and NMSU for FB) are a little too west for the SB's core members.

Im more curious what NDAC's plans are when the NCC2.0 gets raided here in the next couple of weeks?

should be fun to watch NDAC fans says they are really close to a MVC invite for bball to replace Creighton if they leave the valley...

Might be more fun to watch what you guys do when the BSC boots you in June.

And if they don't Dan...are you still going to be pissy that your school failed to get into the BSC twice and yet they came calling out to UND.

• Upvote 1

You must not be paying attention because the Summit is going to come to UND begging in about a month. Seven teams in a basketball conference doesn't work too well.

And if they don't Dan...are you still going to be pissy that your school failed to get into the BSC twice and yet they came calling out to UND.

Can you really say it didn't turn out for the best? BB team went to the dance - NC in FB, VB and SB have several NCAA tournment appearances and wins.

Can you really say it didn't turn out for the best? BB team went to the dance - NC in FB, VB and SB have several NCAA tournment appearances and wins.

Depends if the Summit keeps losing members then it could be all for nothing unless more NCC teams join the SL.

Depends if the Summit keeps losing members then it could be all for nothing unless more NCC teams join the SL.

If I was you I'd worry more about the June vote than some hypothetical movement of conference teams. June vote is happening movement out of the Summit could or couldn't happen. By the way isn't the WCHA just the NCC with hockey?

If I was you I'd worry more about the June vote than some hypothetical movement of conference teams. June vote is happening movement out of the Summit could or couldn't happen. By the way isn't the WCHA just the NCC with hockey?

Why do you need to bring up hockey all the time? Bison fans sure love to talk about hockey.

Have you seen the teams in the WCHA as it currently sits - look at the entire roster and get back to us.

Do you guys think Idaho can swallow their pride and rejoin the Big Sky?

They should, they have done nothing but suck ever since they left.

And Boise leaving and becoming a power only makes them look worse.

The only way NDAC gets into the Big Sky is thru UND...so those NDAC fans that are gonna vote a certain way in June better rethink their votes when it comes time to enter that voting booth....

And wrestling is full of DIII teams so what? WCHA was founded with UND, Denver, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State (stop me if these teams seem like small potatoes to you).

And wrestling is full of DIII teams so what? WCHA was founded with UND, Denver, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State (stop me if these teams seem like small potatoes to you).

Who cares what it was founded on? That isn't what it is anymore. (Though that is an impressive lineup of teams no doubt, too bad they couldn't keep that together).

Division 1 wrestling does have 95 teams as opposed to...58 or 60? It has some D-III teams I believe you are right, but the vast majority are D-I. The powerhouses are all D-I as well I believe. Which is more than hockey can say. Not that it really matters. I do not follow wrestling a whole lot anymore.

Can we not get into a pissing match on this crap guys? I take the bait every time and people just end up mad instead of discussing CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT.

Who cares what it was founded on? That isn't what it is anymore. (Though that is an impressive lineup of teams no doubt, too bad they couldn't keep that together).

Division 1 wrestling does have 95 teams as opposed to...58 or 60? It has some D-III teams I believe you are right, but the vast majority are D-I. The powerhouses are all D-I as well I believe. Which is more than hockey can say. Not that it really matters. I do not follow wrestling a whole lot anymore.

Can we not get into a pissing match on this crap guys? I take the bait every time and people just end up mad instead of discussing CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT.

Then try not to take the bait.
  • Upvote 1

Future of Vandals uncertain as WAC crumbles

Go ahead and subtract a few more schools from the ever-shrinking Western Athletic Conference, which appears to be on its last leg and the first casualty of conference realignment....

.....Spear said Idaho's first commitment was to remain faithful to WAC, "but we have also looked at other options across the entire country about how we would position our athletic programs."

Those options may be limited. Idaho's geographical location isn't a fit for most conferences and its football facilities will be considered a detriment by others. Going independent in football or dropping to the Football Championship Series level are among the few cards left on the table for Idaho. While a move down to the FCS level would be unheard of, UI President Duane Nellis acknowledged it is at least a possibility.

"We will just have to see what the circumstances are -- I'm not saying it's completely off the table," Nellis said, adding Idaho has a history and rivalries in the Big Sky, which is home to programs such as Montana, Montana State, Idaho State and Eastern Washington University.

2 weeks ago I would have thought Idaho back in the Big Sky highly improbable. Now I would put it at 50/50.

That would still leave them at 13 football teams.

True but I don't think the odd number is a big deal to them because you can't play everybody with that many teams anyway.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

A) Remove UND from the future schedules

B) Insert Idaho into the future schedules

Easy fix for them.

There would be a lot of support for Idaho coming back from the old-school BSC people, there were some good rivalries before they left.

I would rather they take back Idaho and keep UND, but you never know what they're thinking at this point.