SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

But we aren't a major conference. The Big Sky has a unique deal going on...television. Television = money. Why would you leave that for a conference that doesn't have that (Summit). The Big 10 isn't losing members they are gaining members, just like the Big Sky. Bigger may or may not be better but it is working out. No conference worries at this school (baseball was finally worked out). Yes strange thing has happened...like the Big Sky inviting UND and USD to join.

The only constant is change. The Big Sky may seem stable, especially compared to the Summit and recent movement/rumors, however our conference is not immune. If MSU and MU suddenly up and left the conference, would you still feel the same way about the Big Sky? As Sic states, our AD and Conference Commissioner need to be on top of the situation and ready react as needed...

I think even Bison fans would agree that the most likely replacement if Creighton were to leave the Valley would be Oakland. Sure they just left the Summit for the Southland, but I think that their basketball program is more attractive to the Valley than anyone else, including NDSU.

The XDSU's will pretty far down the list for entrance into the MVC. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

The XDSU's will pretty far down the list for entrance into the MVC. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Agreed.

Tough hypothetical question to ask here, I know. But it could be a legit possibility within 5 years.

What if the Summit fell apart and the Montana Schools left for FBS? Fullerton would have to have Fargo, Brookings and Vermilion on speed dial for the BSC right?

And if they invited them, would they all accept?

I'm asking OBJECTIVELY to both sides here.

Agreed.

Tough hypothetical question to ask here, I know. But it could be a legit possibility within 5 years.

What if the Summit fell apart and the Montana Schools left for FBS? Fullerton would have to have Fargo, Brookings and Vermilion on speed dial for the BSC right?

And if they invited them, would they all accept?

As full members as their only option maybe but I think they would go if the football team could remain in the MVFC.

I'd be all for it, but only if it included football. Otherwise, let the Summit die a slow death and wish them the best.

As long as they'd need UND's help, let's throw in a couple conditions:

-Gene Taylor publicly grovels for UND's vote*

-First 2 games at the Alerus*

*Our friends' reaction to these would make me giggle.

• Upvote 1

I'd be all for it, but only if it included football. Otherwise, let the Summit die a slow death and wish them the best.

As long as they'd need UND's help, let's throw in a couple conditions:

-Gene Taylor publicly grovels for UND's vote*

-First 2 games at the Alerus*

*Our friends' reaction to these would make me giggle.

Their reaction would be....who cares about the Summit as long as we have football.

my general feeling is that this is going to affect the caa/socon more than the summit/mvc/etc

Summit could lose 1 to 5 schools

Oakland to A10/MVC/Horizon

IUPUI and IPFW are both looking to move. So, if openings come about in the OVC or Horizon they are gone.

Denver still has its bags packed and would go to MVC if possible.

take these schools from the wac/big sky/ summit and try to put together two conferences between them that makes more sense than they currently are in?

north dakota

montana

montana state

weber state

idaho

idaho state

eastern washington

portland state

sacramento state

southern utah

northern arizona

northern colorado

north dakota state

south dakota state

south dakota

nebraska-omaha

denver

new mexico state

seattle

utah valley

texas-pan america

grand canyon

california-bakersfield

chicago state

missouri-kansas city

take these schools from the wac/big sky/ summit and try to put together two conferences between them that makes more sense than they currently are in?

north dakota

montana

montana state

weber state

idaho

idaho state

eastern washington

portland state

sacramento state

southern utah

northern arizona

northern colorado

north dakota state

south dakota state

south dakota

nebraska-omaha

denver

new mexico state

seattle

utah valley

texas-pan america

grand canyon

california-bakersfield

chicago state

missouri-kansas city

Not really interested in the WAC or SL teams. So, I will stick with the Big Sky - thank you very much.

Not really interested in the WAC or SL teams. So, I will stick with the Big Sky - thank you very much.

i'm happy with the big sky too but...

this is what i came up with (assuming that new mexico state gets a sbc, c-usa invite or something) so that leaves 24 schools...

conference "A"--12 olympic/9 football/ 6 baseball

montana/ montana state

north dakota/ north dakota state

south dakota/south dakota state

omaha/ denver

idaho/weber state

portland state/seattle

Conference "B"--12 olympic/ 8 football/ 6 baseball

bakersfield/ sacramento state

northern arizona/ grand canyon

idaho state/ eastern washington

southern utah/ utah valley

kansas city/ chicago state

northern colorado/ texas-pan america

cal davis/ cal poly (fb only)

Summit could lose 1 to 5 schools

Oakland to A10/MVC/Horizon

IUPUI and IPFW are both looking to move. So, if openings come about in the OVC or Horizon they are gone.

Denver still has its bags packed and would go to MVC if possible.

the atlantic 10 is looking south from what i understand (davidson, richmond, others), so its entirely plausible that the summit/ovc/mvc/horizon see no movement out of this. If Creighton moves, they get replaced by oral roberts, and no other moves.

for the record, I'm not a particularily big fan of the mvc. I don't think there is a summit team that would be in the top10 candidates to replace creighton.

the atlantic 10 is looking south from what i understand (davidson, richmond, others), so its entirely plausible that the summit/ovc/mvc/horizon see no movement out of this. If Creighton moves, they get replaced by oral roberts, and no other moves.

for the record, I'm not a particularily big fan of the mvc. I don't think there is a summit team that would be in the top10 candidates to replace creighton.

I think NDSU and SDSU are in the top ten. I don't think NDSU or SDSU will get in but still, name ten teams that the MVC would be more interested in realistically adding.

I think NDSU and SDSU are in the top ten. I don't think NDSU or SDSU will get in but still, name ten teams that the MVC would be more interested in realistically adding.

Anything can happen, and if they are throwing around the SU's with other teams, you never know. We never thought we would be in the Big Sky right out of the Great West.

I think Oakland will be moving. They are actively looking and they would be a good addition to any conference. IUPUI and IPFW are filler for some conference if opportunity comes about. I do think that Oakland is the biggest risk.

The only other interesting school is Denver. The jump from the SL to MVC is big not just in terms of competition level but financial commitment: Arena, practice facility and coaching staffs. It truly is a high level commitment. The UNI basketball head coach makes more than the Iowa basketball head coach. I believe that top end MVC coaches are above $450,000.

I think Denver has the profile they are looking for and the money/market to compete. The one interesting twist that may be in favor of Denver is that they don't have very many traditional Olympic sports. So, travel is really limited to basketball if a conference is willing to overlook some minimum number of sports requirements

In addition, the Denver program does not really fit in the SL. Think of it this way, the Denver basketball head coach makes approximately $300,000 to $350,000. The entire staff makes between $700,000 and $800,000. NDSU is the only other school in the SL could match that and are they ready to make Saul and his staff equal to or higher paid than football at NDSU. For reference the total budget for NDSU basketball is around $1m.

Looks like the MVC is looking at 10 as their conference model.... http://www.stltoday....c8d9cee167.html

Aside from staving off advances by other conferences interested in its schools, the MVC has avoided temptation to expand. Elgin said the conference’s leaders believe 10 is the proper number of schools for a league that doesn’t play major-college football. With an emphasis on basketball, the MVC wants to maintain its double round-robin scheduling format for the sake of determining an equitable regular-season league champion. The league’s geography also is a major consideration.

However, under the right circumstances Elgin said expansion would be considered while also warning that if you exceed 10 “you lose a lot.”

“Obviously (10) has been our model for quite some time, but the other side of the coin is the NCAA pie,” said Mario Moccia, athletics director at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. “If you add three new members, are those three able to generate significant (revenue) with NCAA Tournament appearances? Hopefully you hone in on one school and pick the best. That’s ... where the discussions have been.”

Watch the domino effect within the next few months (including the Summit).

I only see the MVC adding one new team. They like the balanced schedule of 10, with 18 conference games and there is less schools to split their NCAA MBB money with. Unless they are expecting to lose more teams, I don't see them going to 12.

Not sure if it will affect the Summit. They need to be concerned about Oakland moving to the Horizon or Denver being the team that the MVC picks. My best guess is ORU or Denver.