SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

As I said, I'm disappointed by the fact that Idaho found an FBS home for football. For two main reasons: 1) It leaves the Big Sky with 13 football teams so we can't go to divisions. 2) It maintains a western FBS presence that potentially leaves the door cracked open to the possibility of a move up by the Montana schools.

#1 is really not that big a deal since there would be no conference championship game in FCS. But it would have guaranteed the same 6 opponents every year versus the guaranteed same 2 that we have now.

#2 is a remote possibility, but it is still there. On the other hand, I suppose the Sun Belt maintaining a western presence could be a good thing as well if the 3 tier DI system does come to fruition. It could very well be where North Dakota and the Montanas end up one day.

As far as telling Idaho to take a hike because they won't be a football member, have to remember that they still add a lot of value to the conference. It'll give the Big Sky 12 members for basketball and the rest of the non-revenue sports, allowing for divisional play in basketball and maybe volleyball too? Travel will be much more efficient, and the "lone wolf" scheduling model can be discarded.

I assume travel partners starting in 2014 will be:

UND-UNC

UM-MSU

UI-EWU

PSU-Sac

Weber-ISU

NAU-SUU

Now, yes, this all could have been accomplished with Denver. At the time Idaho was invited, Denver had just joined the WAC which looked better then than it does now. Idaho's football prospects were dismal, so the Big Sky was rolling the dice that if they invited them for everything else, football may land here eventually. It didn't work out.

I think Idaho is still a better fit for the Big Sky than Denver, if you have to have a non-football member. They are a public, research intensive, state-named, flagship school. They fit better geographically too, as they will be a bus ride for half the conference. Academically, they are very similar in mission to Montana, Montana St., and North Dakota. I think these four schools will wind up as the anchors of the conference. And if a Big Sky break-up ever occurs, these four schools are all similar enough that they may want to remain together.

So, 10 or 20 years down the road, would the WAC's previous life as a FBS conference be dead and buried or could their name be resurrected as a football conference with FBS credentials?

This is, of course, assuming that the three tier setup that is being talked about does not come in to existence and the current two tier FBS - FBS doesn't lose the BCS to its own division.

Under the proposed three tier system, the Big Sky would more than likely be on the same level as the Sun Belt, and Idaho would concievably become full Big Sky members.

Looks like UMKC is having second thoughts about joining the WAC...This actually makes sense because their move to the WAC looked suspicious right away:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/31/4154451/umkc-to-get-missouri-valley-conference.html

BV is very much in discussion on how their mighty Bison would be getting passed over by the crappy Roos. Maybe there are other factors they look at like location.

BV is very much in discussion on how their mighty Bison would be getting passed over by the crappy Roos. Maybe there are other factors they look at like location.

Makes a person wonder who far down the list NDSU actually was? Other than BV and the Bison Media Blog, nobody even had NDSU on their list of potential replacements,

How embarrassing for NDSU fans.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Dom and Vandrovec are bewildered and just can't understand the UMKC deal. They just can't seem to grasp that geography and academics matter, which puts both SU's way down the list.

There has NEVER been more proof of that than now.

There's an article that says UMKC, Valpo, Illinois-Chicago and Loyola(IL) will get Missouri Valley visits this week: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/31/4154451/umkc-to-get-missouri-valley-conference.html

This is very telling as to where the SU's stack up in the big scheme of things. At least UND has the academics side going for them. Geography, not so much.

Makes a person wonder who far down the list NDSU actually was? Other than BV and the Bison Media Blog, nobody even had NDSU on their list of potential replacements,

How embarrassing for NDSU fans.

I don't think it's embarrassing. UND will be equally as far down the list.

It's probably more disheartening. All FU fans were happy to see UMKC go cause they "brought down" the Summit league, yet there is a chance that the MVC may welcome them with open arms. UND and FU's biggest hurdle will always be geography. No one in a bus league is traveling to Grand Forks or Fargo in the winter. This makes me happy to be in the Big Sky over the revolving door Summit league. There are Summit members who are located in other conference footprints who may be affected by the upcoming conference shuffle, and those schools would bolt at the first offer.

UND fans weren't begging, pleading and speculating about getting a MVC invite. This has nothing to do with UND.

My point was, it shows where all the Dakota schools sit in the pecking order. UND's conference situation right now is solid. However, it wasn't long ago that we were nervous of the Montana schools leaving. If UND were actively looking to find something else, this shows about where we would sit. Geography will always be the limiting factor for any of the Dakota schools.

Yeah, Dom and Vandrovec are bewildered and just can't understand the UMKC deal. They just can't seem to grasp that geography and academics matter, which puts both SU's way down the list.

There has NEVER been more proof of that than now.

There's an article that says UMKC, Valpo, Illinois-Chicago and Loyola(IL) will get Missouri Valley visits this week: http://www.kansascit...conference.html

This is very telling as to where the SU's stack up in the big scheme of things. At least UND has the academics side going for them. Geography, not so much.

Academically NDSU would be one of the top public schools in the MVC. Geography is always an issue.

At least the MVC would be taking the Summit's trash in UMKC and not a good school like Denver.

As you say the Summit's trash was willing to go to any conference than stay in the Summit.. That is not much of a statement about the Summit. Those were your words.

They couldn't compete in anything so they went to the WAC.

Denver leaving the WAC and joining the Summit must at least say something about the quality of the league vs the one that UMKC is joining.

Academically NDSU would be one of the top public schools in the MVC. Geography is always an issue.

At least the MVC would be taking the Summit's trash in UMKC and not a good school like Denver.

I'm not so sure about that. FU as an academic institution?.......meh.

UND would be more attractive academically than FU, that's a given. Geography is a wash between both of them. What's that mean? Not sure.

This isn't the end of The Summit league raiding. You may consider UMKC "Summit Trash" now, but as a number and member of The Summit, they could potentially look really good in a year or two if another team or 2 leaves for better options.

Would you take the former SL conference outlier, Southern Utah back now if given the opportunity?

UND would be more attractive academically than FU, that's a given. Geography is a wash between both of them. What's that mean? Not sure.

This isn't the end of The Summit league raiding. You may consider UMKC "Summit Trash" now, but as a number and member of The Summit, they could potentially look really good in a year or two if another team or 2 leaves for better options.

Would you take the former SL conference outlier, Southern Utah back now if given the opportunity?

Nope the Big Sky can have SUU.

NDSU and UND academically are a wash...sorry to break it to you. Both schools have their strengths.

Really? You are really going to insinuate that NDSU and UND are really any different than each other as far as academic quality? Both are good places to get an education.

I think UND would get a WAC invite over a MVC invite. No way do we even look attractive to any school in that (MVC) conference. Let's not kid ourselves. NDSU is still pinning hopes of a conference move on the SHAC, but by just saying "we are close" and "only 2 million more dollars" is NOT what the conference wants to hear, they want to hear " doors open on the new facility on "this" date, and NDSU is "xx wins and xx losses in the new building". NDSU being in the MVFC, and by putting football in front of anything else is not going to get them into the MVC quicker than its counterpart South Dakota State. Geography is huge and KC is perfect for them, and a travel partner for Wichita State, while NDSU would look like UND of the BSC, and look how UND was frowned upon by media and fans of Sac State. UNI fans wouldn't care to much about Fargo but fans of schools in Indiana, and Kansas wouldn't like it.

You sure put a lot of stock in academic excellence because you have a law and medical school. Nice to have a fantasy I guess.. Why doesn't someone (on this board) do an assessment of your first year in the BSC and your athletic dept as a whole. I doubt the word excellence would be used in any review.

You sure put a lot of stock in academic excellence because you have a law and medical school. Nice to have a fantasy I guess.. Why doesn't someone (on this board) do an assessment of your first year in the BSC and your athletic dept as a whole. I doubt the word excellence would be used in any review.

So does UMKC. :whistling:

• Upvote 1

I think UND would get a WAC invite over a MVC invite. No way do we even look attractive to any school in that (MVC) conference. Let's not kid ourselves. NDSU is still pinning hopes of a conference move on the SHAC, but by just saying "we are close" and "only 2 million more dollars" is NOT what the conference wants to hear, they want to hear " doors open on the new facility on "this" date, and NDSU is "xx wins and xx losses in the new building". NDSU being in the MVFC, and by putting football in front of anything else is not going to get them into the MVC quicker than its counterpart South Dakota State. Geography is huge and KC is perfect for them, and a travel partner for Wichita State, while NDSU would look like UND of the BSC, and look how UND was frowned upon by media and fans of Sac State. UNI fans wouldn't care to much about Fargo but fans of schools in Indiana, and Kansas wouldn't like it.

It's probably safe to say that Omaha will get in the MVC well before SDSU or NDSU. Market and facilities (Omaha is getting a new arena) trump what those two schools offer. A Dakota school really needs to become a media dance darling like FGCU to even enter into consideration for the MVC.

It's probably safe to say that Omaha will get in the MVC well before SDSU or NDSU. Market and facilities (Omaha is getting a new arena) trump what those two schools offer. A Dakota school really needs to become a media dance darling like FGCU to even enter into consideration for the MVC.

Plus NDSU isn't actually killing their tournament...one championship in 5 tries. So add that plus location plus facility equals Slummit League.