SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

How are we going to compete in the Big Sky if we can't win on the road? BSC is a lot tougher than the GWC. Last road win not at a neutral location...March 5th at UT-PA.

Competing in BSC isn't any different than GWC, its a weak conference and we'll end up goin to the dance in 1st year of eligibility, not to worry. Thats one nice thing about BSC totally not basketball conference and we con dominate and could end up being known as a basketball college in the future because of this.

Competing in BSC isn't any different than GWC, its a weak conference and we'll end up goin to the dance in 1st year of eligibility, not to worry. Thats one nice thing about BSC totally not basketball conference and we con dominate and could end up being known as a basketball college in the future because of this.

Really? I have watched this team as closely as I can from 350 miles away, attended a couple of away games and watch as many games as I can on FSC. What I see is a team and program with little discipline, some talent, lack of size, individual play, erratic peformance, and little significant coaching input when the game is on the line. Of the major sports at UND moving to D1 this program seems to be the one that is struggling the most in spite of some late season success last year. Without some major changes including adding some size and even perhaps a coaching change I do not see this program being over 500 in the Big Sky and likely would not be top 3 team in the NSIC. As much optimism for the future that has been created by the FB, VB, and WBB programs this year, the MBB inconsistencies just do not boon well for the immediate future. So far I see no help coming in for next year. Faison has got to really consider where he wants this program to be. Sorry, but my early season optimism after the Montana game and the NDSU win is fading fast. Perhaps these GWC teams are better than I think, but I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

You think UND is going to dominate the likes of Weber and go to the Dance in the first year? Hey, I'm an optimist, but that doesn't even sound close to reality.

Weber is 10-1 in the Big Sky so far and 18-4 on the year.

Like your optimism but lets win a road game first.

Really? I have watched this team as closely as I can from 350 miles away, attended a couple of away games and watch as many games as I can on FSC. What I see is a team and program with little discipline, some talent, lack of size, individual play, erratic peformance, and little significant coaching input when the game is on the line. Of the major sports at UND moving to D1 this program seems to be the one that is struggling the most in spite of some late season success last year. Without some major changes including adding some size and even perhaps a coaching change I do not see this program being over 500 in the Big Sky and likely would not be top 3 team in the NSIC. As much optimism for the future that has been created by the FB, VB, and WBB programs this year, the MBB inconsistencies just do not boon well for the immediate future. So far I see no help coming in for next year. Faison has got to really consider where he wants this program to be. Sorry, but my early season optimism after the Montana game and the NDSU win is fading fast. Perhaps these GWC teams are better than I think, but I doubt it.

Have to agree a lot with your observation. Little discipline, individual play and lack of size. We can't beat a team that plays unselfish because we don't play as a team in most games. We have had scholarships to get size but continue to get guards. Now we go into the Big Sky with no scholarships available to get size. Its no doubt a big uphill climb at this point. We do have talent however its just how we use it and control it.

You think UND is going to dominate the likes of Weber and go to the Dance in the first year? Hey, I'm an optimist, but that doesn't even sound close to reality.

Weber is 10-1 in the Big Sky so far and 18-4 on the year.

He is yet another Bison troll. So lame to act like a fan and troll.

What planet have you been hanging out on?

Having not seen any of the games on the road except 1 in person, and 1 on tv. I can't say that I have the whole picture. Frustration has got to be the word of the day right now, it's quite evident here. I would be shocked if the players and coaches are also frustrated. I am also frustrated. The one thing I look at is that we've been in position to win road games at the half this season. That means the team is being put in a position by the staff going into games to win. The disconnect is happening in the 2nd half of most of these losses. That I have to unfortunately put at the feet of the players. They have to be the ones to accept the responsibility of going out and collecting a win. They've obviously been given the tools to put themselves into position. At the break, nothing changes I believe they have to be the ones to go get the W in the 2nd half. Defensive breakdowns is on the players, offensive execution and making shots- from what I see and hear they are getting good looks...that's again on the players.

I guess what did you expect our road record to really be during these trasitional years? Honestly? I knew it was going to putrid. Listen when you talk about the ridiculously stupid amount of time they spent on the road. They certainly didn't have the necessary talent to compete very well coming out of D2 into the first few years of D1 transition. Look at this year. All but one game was played on the road in December...does that seem normal? No. As a lower end D1, in a legit conference you may have a few more road games to home games in a month but not 6-7 or 8 to 1. That's just silly. Doesn't excuse they're road record this year as they are more than capable to beat Sac St., UMKC, The 2 recent Texas Schools...but they didn't. I will say this that Idaho St. has really gotten their stuff together since they've gotten the win at home against us. Last I looked they were near .500 in the Sky and nearing a top half position. That brings up my other point...

What do we really know about our opponents and how good they are? Honestly, do we know that Chicago State's record is absolutely horrible, but they have played all sorts of major D1's so they can make their athletic budget. So for 15 games or so to start the season Chicago State serves as a pound toy for all sorts of teams. How can you evaluate that team...by record, I think not? Or even UMKC, they had Oral Roberts who has yet to lose in The Summit...dead to rights. and yet peed it down their legs like we do so often on the road. So if UMKC is capable of nearly knocking off a Oral Roberts...are they also not only capable but worthy of beating us? It proves the whole point is that I don't know if we have a whole lot of respect for opponents of D1, because we have a limited track record of following and understanding those teams. The whole point is...at the this level of D1, if you are just slightly off your game- especially on the road, it's over, you've got no chance. And you have to expect that you are going to get homered by the officials from time to time too. I say that, because look at the Great West Conference. There are no regular conference officials, no grading- no responsibility. These guys are just contracted out. If you're in a league like the Sky, my understanding is you see regular officials. I think in that scenario, the system works better.

Finally, about attacking Huff for the shots he takes. There is some validity to that criticism and there is some going overboard. If he doesn't make those early 3's against Utah Valley, we probably aren't even there with a chance to win late in that one. So it goes both ways. In fact to point out just how silly this is... I'm going to make some outlandish criticisms of my own. Aaron Anderson was 2-10 from the field against UTPA and only 4-15 for the weekend in Texas. He should never shoot again. In fact I also claim that because he is so much poorer from the FT line from last year to this year that he should stop driving and drawing fouls because he's not converting from the line at a high enough clip. Patrick Mitchell, shouldn't shoot 3's anymore. What's he at 35% for the season? That's embarrassing low for a proclaimed shooter who is a senior. It's the senior year, if your not at 40-45% and that's supposed to be your shot. You shouldn't shoot it. It's a waste. If Huff shouldn't shoot it cause he's bad- then Mitchell shouldn't either because he's suppose to be good and the numbers reflect he's been mostly bad.

Do you see the absurdity of it all. It's pointless really to debate stuff like that. My only observation of the team is this. When a player misses a shot on this team- whether it be Huff, Mitchell, etc...they allow that miss to eat at them far easier than it seems players for other teams. Then the whole situation compounds itself and we go for 6 minute stretches without a field goal. Even if we are playing good D during that period, that's too much to ask of it. They have got to embrace getting mentally tougher. To be honest, when I watch us play- we have been put in positions to win by this staff- and it's evidident in wins over pretty good teams like Montana, SDSU, and NDSU. But I believe some players have got to get out of their heads during times of adversity (missed shots, foul trouble...) buck up and tough it out for wins.

Well this went. way way too long.

Let's get 2 Wins this week.

Having not seen any of the games on the road except 1 in person, and 1 on tv. I can't say that I have the whole picture. Frustration has got to be the word of the day right now, it's quite evident here. I would be shocked if the players and coaches are also frustrated. I am also frustrated. The one thing I look at is that we've been in position to win road games at the half this season. That means the team is being put in a position by the staff going into games to win. The disconnect is happening in the 2nd half of most of these losses. That I have to unfortunately put at the feet of the players. They have to be the ones to accept the responsibility of going out and collecting a win. They've obviously been given the tools to put themselves into position. At the break, nothing changes I believe they have to be the ones to go get the W in the 2nd half. Defensive breakdowns is on the players, offensive execution and making shots- from what I see and hear they are getting good looks...that's again on the players.

I guess what did you expect our road record to really be during these trasitional years? Honestly? I knew it was going to putrid. Listen when you talk about the ridiculously stupid amount of time they spent on the road. They certainly didn't have the necessary talent to compete very well coming out of D2 into the first few years of D1 transition. Look at this year. All but one game was played on the road in December...does that seem normal? No. As a lower end D1, in a legit conference you may have a few more road games to home games in a month but not 6-7 or 8 to 1. That's just silly. Doesn't excuse they're road record this year as they are more than capable to beat Sac St., UMKC, The 2 recent Texas Schools...but they didn't. I will say this that Idaho St. has really gotten their stuff together since they've gotten the win at home against us. Last I looked they were near .500 in the Sky and nearing a top half position. That brings up my other point...

What do we really know about our opponents and how good they are? Honestly, do we know that Chicago State's record is absolutely horrible, but they have played all sorts of major D1's so they can make their athletic budget. So for 15 games or so to start the season Chicago State serves as a pound toy for all sorts of teams. How can you evaluate that team...by record, I think not? Or even UMKC, they had Oral Roberts who has yet to lose in The Summit...dead to rights. and yet peed it down their legs like we do so often on the road. So if UMKC is capable of nearly knocking off a Oral Roberts...are they also not only capable but worthy of beating us? It proves the whole point is that I don't know if we have a whole lot of respect for opponents of D1, because we have a limited track record of following and understanding those teams. The whole point is...at the this level of D1, if you are just slightly off your game- especially on the road, it's over, you've got no chance. And you have to expect that you are going to get homered by the officials from time to time too. I say that, because look at the Great West Conference. There are no regular conference officials, no grading- no responsibility. These guys are just contracted out. If you're in a league like the Sky, my understanding is you see regular officials. I think in that scenario, the system works better.

Finally, about attacking Huff for the shots he takes. There is some validity to that criticism and there is some going overboard. If he doesn't make those early 3's against Utah Valley, we probably aren't even there with a chance to win late in that one. So it goes both ways. In fact to point out just how silly this is... I'm going to make some outlandish criticisms of my own. Aaron Anderson was 2-10 from the field against UTPA and only 4-15 for the weekend in Texas. He should never shoot again. In fact I also claim that because he is so much poorer from the FT line from last year to this year that he should stop driving and drawing fouls because he's not converting from the line at a high enough clip. Patrick Mitchell, shouldn't shoot 3's anymore. What's he at 35% for the season? That's embarrassing low for a proclaimed shooter who is a senior. It's the senior year, if your not at 40-45% and that's supposed to be your shot. You shouldn't shoot it. It's a waste. If Huff shouldn't shoot it cause he's bad- then Mitchell shouldn't either because he's suppose to be good and the numbers reflect he's been mostly bad.

Do you see the absurdity of it all. It's pointless really to debate stuff like that. My only observation of the team is this. When a player misses a shot on this team- whether it be Huff, Mitchell, etc...they allow that miss to eat at them far easier than it seems players for other teams. Then the whole situation compounds itself and we go for 6 minute stretches without a field goal. Even if we are playing good D during that period, that's too much to ask of it. They have got to embrace getting mentally tougher. To be honest, when I watch us play- we have been put in positions to win by this staff- and it's evidident in wins over pretty good teams like Montana, SDSU, and NDSU. But I believe some players have got to get out of their heads during times of adversity (missed shots, foul trouble...) buck up and tough it out for wins.

Well this went. way way too long.

Let's get 2 Wins this week.

Once again very entertaining to read your thoughts. I definately agree about the long road trips and the effect they will eventually have on you. Also agree, teams we played that were not suppose to be very good are turning out to be very solid ( Western Illinois, UMKC, Idaho State etc). The one thing I slightly disagree on is who should be shooting what type of shot. If a player is shooting below 20% from 3 and shoots alot of them I would have to say at this point in the seaon that is not his shot and should not be taking so many of them. Every player on this team has certain strenghts in their game and thats what they should concentrate on and those are the shots they should be taking to help us win. For example, Brekke knows he cannot shoot outside 5' and he stay within this. Allard has stopped taking three's even when he is open cause he just cant make them over his entire career. You mention Mitchell shooting only 35% from three but to be honest with you anything over 33% is acceptable cause its the equivalent in points to shooting 50% from within the arc. So I am perfectly happy with 35% out of Mitchell or any other player. Shooters like Anderson will have bad shooting nights but if you have somebody that is conistantly bad almost every game from a certain distance they need to understand this and go to their strengh. It does not help the team if you are shooting below 20% from 3 and keep shooting the 2nd most 3's on the team. Once again a player and coach must understand each players strength and utlilize this. I'm sure you have to be in agreement with this. I go to or watch everygame and this team without a doubt has very solid talent and each one brings something different to the table which should make us very difficult to guard. Huff brings probably the most athletic abilty this school has had for years, Brekke brings a high percentage shooter in the paint that takes excellent shots, Anderson is quick with unbelievable jumping abilty and a great shot, Webb controls the floor and penetrates as good as any guard and Mitchell is a shot blocking machine that can shoot over any defender at 6'8 , Schuler is the best pure shooter we have and can come off screens with the ability to make those 15' jumpers that we dont utilize enough, Allard plays extemely hard and gives 100% every game. Thats our top 7 players and each one is different and can hurt the opponent if we play and take the shots that they are good at. Problem is we dont do this right now. I'm getting as long as greenteam, sorry.

• Upvote 1

The two things that disappoint me about this season are 1. UND has lost its first three Great West road games after only losing two all of last year; and 2. nobody has stepped up to become a consistent scoring threat aside from the six proven commodities returning from last year's team.

The two things that disappoint me about this season are 1. UND has lost its first three Great West road games after only losing two all of last year; and 2. nobody has stepped up to become a consistent scoring threat aside from the six proven commodities returning from last year's team.

You are correct in that we have lost more road games this year than all of last year and we still have a couple more to play. I'm not sure who you thought would step up and score this year or in the 2 years to come besides the 6 players ( Huff, Anderson, Webb, Mitchell, Brekke, Schuler). I'm thinking Goodman but he has only played 3 games and is done for the year but nobody else on this roster will bring much scoring punch in the years to come with the players listed above. We definately need some open scholarships to bring in a replacement for Mitchell and some height.

You are correct in that we have lost more road games this year than all of last year and we still have a couple more to play. I'm not sure who you thought would step up and score this year or in the 2 years to come besides the 6 players ( Huff, Anderson, Webb, Mitchell, Brekke, Schuler). I'm thinking Goodman but he has only played 3 games and is done for the year but nobody else on this roster will bring much scoring punch in the years to come with the players listed above. We definately need some open scholarships to bring in a replacement for Mitchell and some height.

Not trying to be critical of any individuals, but considering what last year's freshman class produced, I had hoped to get a little scoring from Antwi and/or Gentry. Whether or not that was realistic is debateable, but that was my hope. Obviously it would have been great if one of the juniors had become a 6 ppg or more scorer, but that isn't likely to happen at this point.

Green Team....that is pretty much all I've been saying the whole year. Thank you sir! It's good see someone who looks at it like that. Go Sioux!

Sportsmatic, do you seriously believe Huff should be shooting three's at this point? He has missed 17 in a row and to be honest with you they are not even close to going in. In fact I cant remember the last time he has made a jumper. His shot is definately off and everytime he shoots a three he is hurting this team with a lost possession. Every game they are within a possession or two within the last couple of mintes and if there weren't so many bad shots during the first 38 minutes we could easily be the team winning and not losing. I will say it again Huff is the most talented player on this team and creates the most problems for any team we play trying to defend him. I am so critical of him because he is the best talent this school has had in many years and he is by far the one player that can change the outcome of any game in our favor if he just played smarter and saw the floor better. He should understand his shot from the outside is not working and he needs to use his athletism to penetrate and if the shot is not there dish to a wide open player who can make the 3 or open jumper. Contrary to what you think I do enjoy watching him play but he needs to start playing smarter and help this team win more games with better overall play. Everyone on this team needs to improve in areas they are weak, its just Huff is and will be for the next several years the biggest key to this team because of his ability.

• Upvote 2

Someone is still a little butt hurt after getting beat up in Grand Forks. Having a hard time being the second best basketball team in the state?

First NDSU brought their powerful volleyball team to Grand Forks. Then they brought their high high high powered Mens's basketball team to Grand Forks. They both were sent back to Fargo with their tails between their legs. You would think their fans would be off hiding but instead they are hanging around spouting off. Don't they ever learn.

• Upvote 1