SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

That was as loud as the Sioux Center has gotten all season..........................

Truly embarrassing how they shoot from the line. 9-21 is like how 5th - 6th grade teams shoot.................

Many, many years ago my junior high team in a small town in ND made 29 of 30 FTs in a game (glad I wasn't the one who missed the one!). That was a fluke but, as you said, UND's efforts this year (not just yesterday) has been truly embarrassing. As I orated above, this is the least disciplined team I have ever seen at UND. Too many dumb fouls at dumb times, dumb shots, lack of leadership on and off the court, etc.

The post-game comment (made twice in the last week) which stated the team's goal (from the start of the season) this year was to have a winning record tells much of the story. After finishing 19-15 last year, why would a coach readily talk about being satisfied with a winning season? To me is shows lack of leadership and motivation.

Many, many years ago my junior high team in a small town in ND made 29 of 30 FTs in a game (glad I wasn't the one who missed the one!). That was a fluke but, as you said, UND's efforts this year (not just yesterday) has been truly embarrassing. As I orated above, this is the least disciplined team I have ever seen at UND. Too many dumb fouls at dumb times, dumb shots, lack of leadership on and off the court.

This team is really difficult to figure out. On the one hand, the home record is as good as it's been in many years. And the talent level of the top six players is good. But then you start factoring in the terrible road record, the extreme lack of quality depth, the erratic free throw shooting, periodic turnover problems, dumb fouls and questionable shot selection, and it becomes difficult to be overly optimistic about next season.

I can't comment on leadership issues as I have no knowledge of them one way or the other, but I certainly trust UND Fan's assessment. Bottom line--despite three or four very good wins and a good home record, I can't help but feel that this season has been something of a disappointment overall. But that opinion is subject to change should UND beat Utah Valley next week, and win the GW tournament.

This team is really difficult to figure out. On the one hand, the home record is as good as it's been in many years. And the talent level of the top six players is good. But then you start factoring in the terrible road record, the extreme lack of quality depth, the erratic free throw shooting, period turnover problems, dumb fouls and questionable shot selection, and it becomes difficult to be overly optimistic about next season.

I can't comment on leadership issues as I have no knowledge of them one way or the other, but I certainly trust UND Fan's assessment. Bottom line--despite three or four very good wins and a good home record, I can't help but feel that this season has been something of a disappointment overall. But that opinion is subject to change should UND beat Utah Valley next week, and win the GW tournament.

I have to agree in most of what everyone is saying. However, the free throw shooting is up to the players. I'm sure they practice it all the time and probably make most of them in practice. Come game time its on them to make the free throw, coaching has nothing to do with that. The lack of discipline in shot selection and screens has been bad all year. Why does Mitchell and Wilmer and Brekke have so many fouls setting screens 30' from the basket, that is rediculous. It takes them out of the game and its also stupid and a lost possession that we cant afford to lose. How can they not understand they can't move, its up to the guard to run his guy into them, not them run into the defender. Again this has to be the player not to move but they do. We do have alot of talent in our first 6 guys but until we get help down low we will suffer next year and we must get a replacement for MItchell. Nobody we currently have on this team can fill in for the loss of Mitchell. I may have seen another recruit at the game yesterday and he was a guard. In 2-3 years we will have 15 guards on this team. UGH

I have to agree in most of what everyone is saying. However, the free throw shooting is up to the players. I'm sure they practice it all the time and probably make most of them in practice. Come game time its on them to make the free throw, coaching has nothing to do with that. The lack of discipline in shot selection and screens has been bad all year. Why does Mitchell and Wilmer and Brekke have so many fouls setting screens 30' from the basket, that is rediculous. It takes them out of the game and its also stupid and a lost possession that we cant afford to lose. How can they not understand they can't move, its up to the guard to run his guy into them, not them run into the defender. Again this has to be the player not to move but they do. We do have alot of talent in our first 6 guys but until we get help down low we will suffer next year and we must get a replacement for MItchell. Nobody we currently have on this team can fill in for the loss of Mitchell. I may have seen another recruit at the game yesterday and he was a guard. In 2-3 years we will have 15 guards on this team. UGH

I am curious what some of the former (or current) coaches on this board think about the free throw issue. I agree that it is the kids who are standing at the line and they must make the shots. My experience tells me that coaching can and should help address a player's confidence level in making FTs. Isn't it similar to a player (in most any sport) who really plays well or relatively well in certain aspects of a game in practice but struggles in games? They need confidence instilled in them that they can perform similarly in game situations.

I may be wrong on this one - would be very interested in hearing from some coaches.

Agree with that, but to take things slightly off topic, is anybody else other than me looking forward to having Big Sky officials calling games next season?

Definitely, a call from yesterday that comes to mind is Mitchell's fifth foul. He looked incredulous after that call. There was another call during the game that went UND's way, that was quite obvious. So I guess, the bad officiating goes both ways.

I would prefer good officiating going both ways.

Agree with that, but to take things slightly off topic, is anybody else other than me looking forward to having Big Sky officials calling games next season?

Hate to burst your bubble, but the reffing doesnt get any better here in the Big Sky :sad:

Officiating is so bad everywhere. People wonder why scoring may be so low in games, its because players are getting hammered in most shots and nothing is being called. The officials are allowing basketball to be played more like football and then all of a sudden late in the game you barely touch someone and its a foul. Absolutely no consistancy in officiating. Its horrible everywhere.

• Upvote 1