SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

I generally am reluctant to pick on officials since their vantage point is usually alot better than mine from the bleachers, but I saw what I thought were some real head-scratchers at the game on Saturday. My biggest beef is usually constant inconsistency and indecision when they determine the difference between blocking and charging fouls.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the reffing doesnt get any better here in the Big Sky :sad:

I'm just looking for some sort of consistency. With only 10 conference games now, we're dealing with Summit, Big Sky, WAC, MWC officials on the road, and then working with NAIA and JUCO refs for 16-18 home and GWC games.

I generally am reluctant to pick on officials since their vantage point is usually alot better than mine from the bleachers, but I saw what I thought were some real head-scratchers at the game on Saturday. My biggest beef is usually constant inconsistency and indecision when they determine the difference between blocking and charging fouls.

I'm just looking for some sort of consistency. With only 10 conference games now, we're dealing with Summit, Big Sky, WAC, MWC officials on the road, and then working with NAIA and JUCO refs for 16-18 home and GWC games.

Consistant is one thing Big Sky refs are.........consistantly bad

great game despite the ugly jones/huff yelling match while a basketball game is happening behind them...wondering if huff gets suspended over this latest "im bigger than this team" mentality that doesn't seem to change?

webb was the man tonite...running stats in my head during the game i was thinking he was flirting with a triple double...hopefully he gets one yet this year.

bad crowd again...maybe five students

great game despite the ugly jones/huff yelling match while a basketball game is happening behind them...wondering if huff gets suspended over this latest "im bigger than this team" mentality that doesn't seem to change?

webb was the man tonite...running stats in my head during the game i was thinking he was flirting with a triple double...hopefully he gets one yet this year.

bad crowd again...maybe five students

Maybe it is time for Huff to go in spite of his talent. Private school in an upscale suburb of Milwaukee may have allowed him to be bigger than the team. Just saying, maybe.

und had a 25 point lead at half and to start the second half huff decided to take the ball and play his own game for the first three minutes and jones had enough so he had schuler ready to check in and huff ran by jones on offense yelling :"why am i getting janked" and jones yelled back "because your putting up bad shots" all the while huff's teammates are playing four on five behind him (the play ended with a und turnover)...the next dead ball schuler came in and jones told his assistants to sit him "at the end of the bench"...huff didn't play the last 17 minutes

• Upvote 1

Wow this is not good. Hopefully the coaching staff along with Huff can work it out. Im sure he's ready to transfer. If his attitude was fixed he could be a complete player. I'm wondering if Coach Jones has plans or has already talked to Huff about leading by example for the freshman. I would truly hate to see a kid with his ability and potential transfer to a different school. Guess we will have to wait and see what will take place and if a suspension follows, or if he does decide to leave.

Wow this is not good. Hopefully the coaching staff along with Huff can work it out. Im sure he's ready to transfer. If his attitude was fixed he could be a complete player. I'm wondering if Coach Jones has plans or has already talked to Huff about leading by example for the freshman. I would truly hate to see a kid with his ability and potential transfer to a different school. Guess we will have to wait and see what will take place and if a suspension follows, or if he does decide to leave.

Have to agree with you on this one. I have been on Huff more than anybody because he has so much talent. He needs to work things out and has shown at times he can play as a team but last night once again he tried to play for himself when everyone else was playing the best team game they have played all year and the results showed. Maybe after last night he will wake up and realize what happens when all the players play together as one and take great shots.

Having missed the home game on Saturday, I haven't had a lot to say.

First, great game by this team. UTPA, to be honest, I think looks like a decent team, unfortunately for them we avalanched them early and often. Which is nice to see for a change. Of note. Jamal Webb, is just the kind of player I love, because you can honestly see that it's always about "WE" and not about "ME" when he plays the game. Last night he nearly earned a triple double- he even had a blocked shot. Way to go Jamal! Fantastic Game. Also, this will get lost in the win, but Brekke, made 3 great decisions with the ball that led to 3 assists in the first half...yes when he gets the ball down low I want him to score, but it was good to see him use vision to find the open man. Antwi, you can tell this was just a young man looking for confidence, try to get acclimated to the college game. It looks like he's starting to get there, and he is a nice addition to this team. I think the more confident he gets, watch out, because I feel he can really shoot it.

Now to the point about Huff, I've tried to defend the young man on here. Because I believe everyone deserves a chance and college players don't deserve to have constant criticism to be rained down on them. But what I saw last night was truly disappointing. His behavior would indicate that he has not matured one bit. And that is a sad thing. One of the things that college sports should provide is people development...and I think for the most part all of our players are maturing as people while here. This incident, would indicate that he just refuses to mature. I thought the NDSU game where he may have sacrificed some offense by playing outstanding D- was an indication that he was starting to get it-- and he realized he could contribute in every game- not just as a scorer- but be a factor in different facets if his shot was not falling, and I thought that was a sign of maturity. I guess consider me fooled. Because after seeing what I saw last night. It would appear that he has grown up very little...and this is the tail end of his sophmore year. That is hard to understand. I hope that he doesn't transfer, but I also hope that he decides to handle things in a more positive manner, and accepts that he is part of a team, and that W's are far more important than how many points or dunks he has. This is what growing up is all about.

Lets face it, at least last night- we were better as a collective unit with him off the floor. And considering what I mentioned above, he may be oblivious to that. If he isn't and he actually realizes it, maybe that opens his eyes a little bit- and he finally starts to grow as the player we all feel that he can truly be.

Having missed the home game on Saturday, I haven't had a lot to say.

First, great game by this team. UTPA, to be honest, I think looks like a decent team, unfortunately for them we avalanched them early and often. Which is nice to see for a change. Of note. Jamal Webb, is just the kind of player I love, because you can honestly see that it's always about "WE" and not about "ME" when he plays the game. Last night he nearly earned a triple double- he even had a blocked shot. Way to go Jamal! Fantastic Game. Also, this will get lost in the win, but Brekke, made 3 great decisions with the ball that led to 3 assists in the first half...yes when he gets the ball down low I want him to score, but it was good to see him use vision to find the open man. Antwi, you can tell this was just a young man looking for confidence, try to get acclimated to the college game. It looks like he's starting to get there, and he is a nice addition to this team. I think the more confident he gets, watch out, because I feel he can really shoot it.

Now to the point about Huff, I've tried to defend the young man on here. Because I believe everyone deserves a chance and college players don't deserve to have constant criticism to be rained down on them. But what I saw last night was truly disappointing. His behavior would indicate that he has not matured one bit. And that is a sad thing. One of the things that college sports should provide is people development...and I think for the most part all of our players are maturing as people while here. This incident, would indicate that he just refuses to mature. I thought the NDSU game where he may have sacrificed some offense by playing outstanding D- was an indication that he was starting to get it-- and he realized he could contribute in every game- not just as a scorer- but be a factor in different facets if his shot was not falling, and I thought that was a sign of maturity. I guess consider me fooled. Because after seeing what I saw last night. It would appear that he has grown up very little...and this is the tail end of his sophmore year. That is hard to understand. I hope that he doesn't transfer, but I also hope that he decides to handle things in a more positive manner, and accepts that he is part of a team, and that W's are far more important than how many points or dunks he has. This is what growing up is all about.

Lets face it, at least last night- we were better as a collective unit with him off the floor. And considering what I mentioned above, he may be oblivious to that. If he isn't and he actually realizes it, maybe that opens his eyes a little bit- and he finally starts to grow as the player we all feel that he can truly be.

Excellent points. I have not been on the board for awhile and have one more sad point to add to this that I was going to leave out until what I saw last night. On saturday when he got yanked he sat down next to coach A and said " if I am not getting the ball I am not playing any defense." I got this second hand from the player sitting beside him. You could tell he was very upset leading up to this because he felt he should be getting the ball more. Just adds to his non team commitment and is playing for us own selfish reasons. I am like everyone else and that he has the most talent on this team but as everyone saw last night we played a whole lot better with him on the bench. Its all about team chemistry that makes a team successful. I hope he learns and understands this cause we truly need him if he matures.

Time for coach to get control of his team. This is a make or break moment for him. He needs to set the tone or we will have years of undisciplined me first play (much like a major part of this season)

No one is bigger than the team - time to step up and take control

I saw he tweeted last night after the game "Can't wait till next year lol" I am not exactly sure what that means but I thought it was interesting. Could have nothing to do with basketball what-so-ever.

I'd say it has everything to do with basketball. If he leaves he will have the exact same issues where ever he goes. The next coach wont give him as long of a rope as Jones has. I hope he changes and stays but if he is not willing to play as a team then I would be just as happy having Schuler or someone like him playing the 3. It worked just great last night.

I agree that if Huff won't grow up, be coachable and learn to play within a team concept at all times, he may need to go. The problem is, losing any of the top five underclassmen would be potentially disastrous considering how little depth there is right now. Yes, Schuler could very well slide into Huff's starting spot, and maybe Antwi can develop into an 8-10 ppg scorer off the bench, but that would still result in one fewer scorer on the team next year compared to this year, as the impending loss of Mitchell was already going to be difficult to overcome.

Is it too late to sign impact players for next year? I'm sure at least one juco will be brought in, but I don't know how likely it is that a juco will make much of an impact. Webb was kind of an under-the-radar player found in a prep school, and he stepped right in and was effective immediately. Maybe another prep schooler is the answer?

We need his athletiscm next year in the big sky, not confident that Shuler or Antwi is the answer. I'm really looking forward to us being in the big sky, and would hate for the Sioux to be a dud of a team, seeing that I'm a huge fan. It's already bad enough Mitchell's gone. We need impact players no matter what, Whether he decides to stay or go.

By the way I just ran into his Tweet. It definitely screams that he's transferring after this year. I don't think UND can afford to be without Mitchell and huff. I'm hoping things can be worked out for the better.

That would be a shame cause he is by far the most athletic player we have and has by far the most potential. I dont know why Huff is expecting any thing else from another team though. For any team to be successful you must play together and play as one. His current style would not fit in for any other successful team. I believe he would be making a huge mistake thinking his style would work for another team. Wish he would really think this out and make the change that is needed to help this team out in the future. He is an impact player but must play as a team. UND has proven these last 3 games what they can do with him scoring less than 7 points in each game. All wins.

That would be a shame cause he is by far the most athletic player we have and has by far the most potential. I dont know why Huff is expecting any thing else from another team though. For any team to be successful you must play together and play as one. His current style would not fit in for any other successful team. I believe he would be making a huge mistake thinking his style would work for another team. Wish he would really think this out and make the change that is needed to help this team out in the future. He is an impact player but must play as a team. UND has proven these last 3 games what they can do with him scoring less than 7 points in each game. All wins.

His defense and rebounding are something that he brings, even when he isn't scoring. Schuler is my favorite player, but I love watching Huff play, when he plays within himself and doesn't try and do too much. I would really hate to see him go.