SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

They are only traveling 12 players this year. Dont believe they are injured or suspended just coaches decision to leave them at home.

This seems like a potential problem to me. I'm not questioning the decision by the coaches--just how it's going to be received by kids who apparently weren't mature enough to understand that red-shirting would have been in their best interests.

I believe it was said, or at least strongly implied. I guess basketball must be quite different from football in that regard. ???

Actually, my understanding at of red-shirting is (in any sport) is that in the end it's always up to the individual student athletes. The coach's give them the information and they go from there. I re-call Coach Mussman talking about this on the coach's show- he said that they can lay it out with how much playing time a player will possibly be getting and other details and information...but in the end even in football it boils down to individuals choice. Red-Shirting is far more common place in football, it is utilized a bit more randomly in basketball.

Actually, my understanding at of red-shirting is (in any sport) is that in the end it's always up to the individual student athletes. The coach's give them the information and they go from there. I re-call Coach Mussman talking about this on the coach's show- he said that they can lay it out with how much playing time a player will possibly be getting and other details and information...but in the end even in football it boils down to individuals choice. Red-Shirting is far more common place in football, it is utilized a bit more randomly in basketball.

I think the difference is that it's evidently made abundantly clear in football that unless a kid is actually going to play, he's going to red shirt. I don't recall a single instance where a football player did not red shirt, and did not play enough to be on the travel squad.

I realize basketball is different, in that it's not so much of a given that a kid is going to red shirt. In the case of Antwi, I believe it was fully expected that he'd be a pretty big contributor this year. Not so sure about Gentry, although he was arguably more highly-ranked as a high school player than anybody else on the team right now, aside from perhaps Huff.

It's just one of those fluke things, you add those to injuries and everything else- it not only can mess with what you have to work with in a game- but what a team can do in practice and in their prep. Yes from Wilmer early in the season to Anderson this past weekend, they have not had much luck with health. As my mother always stressed..."wash your hands!"

It's just one of those fluke things, you add those to injuries and everything else- it not only can mess with what you have to work with in a game- but what a team can do in practice and in their prep. Yes from Wilmer early in the season to Anderson this past weekend, they have not had much luck with health. As my mother always stressed..."wash your hands!"

It doesnt sound good. Anderson is still sick along with what I heard Huff is also sick. I believe these 2 room with Webb. Schuler has missed practice due to illness and he rooms with Brekke and Mitchell. Thats our top 6 scorers that are potentially sick or could become sick. Like I said we need a good doctor and in a hurry. Hopefully it is all just a 24 hour bug and they will be ready for Thursday. Can a game be postphoned due to team illness?

I got to see bits and pieces of last nights game against Valley City. Good that they won by 23, but UND is still missing layups. Only two players in double figures. UND shot less than 50% and as a team were 2 of 13 from 3-point land. I hope they play better against NDSU.

I see from the box score that the attendance was 2021. Not bad for a Thursday night against an NAIA team.

I watched a little bit of the NAU/Montana game on FCS. It looked like it was being played in a D2 gym. There was only about 500-600 people there. NAU got stomped by 25.

I got to see bits and pieces of last nights game against Valley City. Good that they won by 23, but UND is still missing layups. Only two players in double figures. UND shot less than 50% and as a team were 2 of 13 from 3-point land. I hope they play better against NDSU.

I see from the box score that the attendance was 2021. Not bad for a Thursday night against an NAIA team.

I watched a little bit of the NAU/Montana game on FCS. It looked like it was being played in a D2 gym. There was only about 500-600 people there. NAU got stomped by 25.

Agree alot of layups missed again last night. Those are the shots we really need to make. Overall, I thought we played OK against an NAIA school. Its a victory that we should have won easily and I thought we did that. Dont understand the coaching decision to play Antwi so much over Haugen. Antwi was suspended once and he did not even travel on this last road trip but he is inserted in the game first off the bench. To me that sends a wrong signal to other players. Antwi did score 7 last night but overall his play has been very poor this year and based on his hype has done nothing. Would like to see Haugen more. Go Sioux

Agree alot of layups missed again last night. Those are the shots we really need to make. Overall, I thought we played OK against an NAIA school. Its a victory that we should have won easily and I thought we did that. Dont understand the coaching decision to play Antwi so much over Haugen. Antwi was suspended once and he did not even travel on this last road trip but he is inserted in the game first off the bench. To me that sends a wrong signal to other players. Antwi did score 7 last night but overall his play has been very poor this year and based on his hype has done nothing. Would like to see Haugen more. Go Sioux

You may not understand the coaching, but again that's why I listen to the Coach's interviews. First thing after saying that both Huff & Schuler had gotten sick with this illness that seems to going around when they got back from New Mexico and that they weren't 100%, probably played a large role in how many minutes they were going to get. They had use the bench personel. I'm still fighting off a month long cold, I wish someone was able to give minutes for me, as I know I'm not 100%. Also, Coach Jones also pointed out during his post-game comments because he was specifically asked about Antwi's playing time, and he said "that Antwi, had 2 very good days of practice coming into the game and had earned that time." To be honest with the way he played last night, he took advantage of the time he was given. He played well.

You see, there is the things we don't see, You or I, never are at practices we never get to see the players earning minutes. Secondly about the game suspension earlier in the season for Antwi and Gentry. I don't know what it was for, but young players make mistakes and then the staff set out the repercussions and then you move on. You don't hold it over the head of the player for rest of the year or his entire career. Do you? The most important thing is that they learn and become better people. If I let held a grudge against my kids because they were horsing around and broke something in the house- and then I was mad for the year or the rest of their lives. I don't think life would be very easy. Was I mad at the time...yes. Were they punished at the time...you better believe it. But you hope they learn and we move on as a family.

I like Haugen good kid, nice player. But I don't think we know what the staff sees in their day to day evaluations to dictate who gets playing time. Secondly, Antwi didn't disappoint last night hopefully he'll gain a little more confidence now- which I think is a big factor for him. You could tell he was getting more confident as he hit a 3 then a short time later as he took a shot a little too quickly in the offense. He came off and heard about it and hopefully learned. Isn't that suppose to be the way it works?

• Upvote 2

Geaux,

You know I've always liked you because you're always very reasonable and really a true and dedicated fan. But I think they shot 48.5% from the field- I would say that's pretty close to 50% which I will take with this team at home. Yes, need to shoot the 3 better. That we both can agree on. I do think of the 3 DAC teams we saw, Valley City was by far the best team, and actually it was a game out of the 3 that I thought we were best throughout in. Once we got a double digit lead, I never really felt like we were in danger of giving it up. Yes we missed some layups. That unfortunately is the most worrisome item for me moving forward because that has been a theme the last 3 games. The score would have been different against Kansas if we hadn't blown 8+ layups and it would have been different against New Mexico as well. Knowing what I heard from the broadcast, with Goodman out again, Schuler & Huff really just merely shells of themselves having been sick all the way to the lead up to the game. I could really tell, Schuler had not been feeling well as it seemed like he was having a hard time getting his legs into his shot, and I felt it was evident with Huff too early, as he almost seemed like he was out of it. I would say we played ok. Not great but ok. I think the most important thing that will help us is just getting the guys healthy and feeling 100%. I think that will go a long way to making our performances better.

I guess we agree for the most part yet again-except the 50% part where 48.5% is close enough for me. Of course I was always the one in school hoping they graded on a curve :lol: Geaux Sioux!

Finally, a note about last night in the 2nd Half that sequence of Webb, to Huff & Huff to Brekke for the transition dunk was awesome. That was good unselfish basketball shown by Troy. Hopefully, it's a sign he's maturing. The Webb to Mitchell alley oop play was really spectacular as well. If anything a person definitely can't say they don't get their money's worth when they come out to The Betty. Those plays right there made it worth my price of admission.

Its just strange you are not on the travelling squad because you take only your top 12 players but when at home you play someone who does not travel ahead of a player like Haugen that does travel. So why not travel Antwi over Haugen. Of course that may be a mute point since Goodman is obviously hurt again. Anybody know of Goodman's status? I'm sure he had a couple days of nice practice since everyone else did not practice and was sick. Hopefully we are at full strengh now. Antwi just came in with so much hype and he appears to be a run and gun type player and that hype has not lived up. Dont really see him fitting in with the class ahead of him for much playing time. He is definately way behing Webb, Anderson and Schuler for the guard spots. Just dont know why he is constanting put in front of Haugen.

I didn't see the whole game and one of the layups that I saw the Sioux miss was Brekke's. Listening to Bollman this morning I learned that that was the only shot that Brekke missed last night. While I agree that 48.5% is close to 50%, I guess I was expecting more against an NAIA team.

I was thinking about some of the other things I heard following the game last night. One thing Coach Jones alluded to was how important and good it was going to be to be able to have a stretch of days to get into the gym and practice. I was thinking and hoping there is a lot to that, because if you look at our best performance of the year it was when we actually got to be home for a stretch of 3 or 4 days and were able to have practices- and that was against South Dakota State. Which I think we can all agree- the team was operating at a special level that night. As Coach has mentioned multiple times on the Coaches Show and during interviews one of the toughest things about December is that they would maybe get one practice and have to pack the next day and hit the road. If the lead up to SDSU was any indicator, the team responds well given time to practice. I hope that holds true- as we have a stretch of days to get some practices in before the next game.

good crowd up til half of the mens game...but does anyone know why the bleacher seats were removed last night? temporary or permanent move? also does anyone know is the main bleachers can be moved or pulled down closer to the court...the first row is so far away from the court?

Green team I agree with you on your response to sioux2013. I was unsure why Antwi was first off the bench as well, which after listening to the postgres interview it was clear that Antwi had 2 great practices. Like the saying goes..."you have to earn your playing time in practice." I think Antwi brings more to the table versus Haugen, even though they've both struggled up until this point.

Question? And kind of off subject, I've sent some of the players on the team Facebook and Twitterfriend requests. And don't get me wrong, I loooove Aaron Anderson as a person and a player, but I find it borderline selfish that every game that is played Anderson posts every single one of his post game interviews, every single game photo he is in, every post game highlight from when he plays good, and every newspaper article that has his picture in it. I guess what I'm trying to say is "act like you've been there".....I'm sure Thomas Robinson, Tyshaun Taylor, or other D-1 players don't go uploading every little thing that has there face on it. I just think it sends out the wrong message. Which is weird because he is a very unselfish player. Sorry for the negativity.

Green team I agree with you on your response to sioux2013. I was unsure why Antwi was first off the bench as well, which after listening to the postgres interview it was clear that Antwi had 2 great practices. Like the saying goes..."you have to earn your playing time in practice." I think Antwi brings more to the table versus Haugen, even though they've both struggled up until this point.

Question? And kind of off subject, I've sent some of the players on the team Facebook and Twitterfriend requests. And don't get me wrong, I loooove Aaron Anderson as a person and a player, but I find it borderline selfish that every game that is played Anderson posts every single one of his post game interviews, every single game photo he is in, every post game highlight from when he plays good, and every newspaper article that has his picture in it. I guess what I'm trying to say is "act like you've been there".....I'm sure Thomas Robinson, Tyshaun Taylor, or other D-1 players don't go uploading every little thing that has there face on it. I just think it sends out the wrong message. Which is weird because he is a very unselfish player. Sorry for the negativity. ��

I guess its up in the air for me if Antwi really brings more to the table than Haugen. Haugen had a descent freshman year and unfortunately for him got buried behind the freshman class last year which saw three freshman (Huff, Webb, Schuler) become 3 of the top 10 freshmen scorers in UND history. Antwi has not come close to Haugen's numbers when Haugen was a freshman. Its obvious the coaches made that decision early on this year to play Antwi over Haugen. I kinda believe they made this decision because all the hype Jones made of Antwi and he is trying to save face. As far as Anderson and his posts that may be because his family hardly ever comes to a game due to the distance. The only way they see him play is probably thru the highlights and post game interviews that Aaron posts. Anderson seems like a great kid that does not have an attitude about himself and plays under control. He is having an unbelievable year and everytime he goes to the floor I hold my breath that he is not going to get up. He is so small. Go Sioux

Sioux2013: I appreciate u trying to figure this one out. I wasn't trying to come down on your boy. For the record, just about every D-1 player is far away from home, so I don't think that's the reason. If that's the case why dont u see others doing it. Nothing against the kid, i just think he should "act as if he's been there before." that's all

Question? And kind of off subject, I've sent some of the players on the team Facebook and Twitterfriend requests. And don't get me wrong, I loooove Aaron Anderson as a person and a player, but I find it borderline selfish that every game that is played Anderson posts every single one of his post game interviews, every single game photo he is in, every post game highlight from when he plays good, and every newspaper article that has his picture in it. I guess what I'm trying to say is "act like you've been there".....I'm sure Thomas Robinson, Tyshaun Taylor, or other D-1 players don't go uploading every little thing that has there face on it. I just think it sends out the wrong message. Which is weird because he is a very unselfish player. Sorry for the negativity. ��

FANATIC, I can't speak for the family members of other D1 players as to how they communicate and neither can you. However, Aaron's Family LOOOOVE all his game highlights, newspaper articles, and every little thing that has his face on it! So, lets try to keep your posts related to his play on the court and not how he communicates with his family that LOOOOVE him!!!!

• Upvote 1