SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

Really, you want to have a guy that is directly underneath the basket and swing it out to a shooter? Listen our perimeter shooting has been sketchy this season at best. Yes, the reality right now is that t much of the team and especially Huff right now are not getting their close shots to go in. Don't know why, I sure wish there was an answer. But the reality is, it's a close shot and if you looked at ones that were missed in the last 2 home games-- most were not that tough of shots- they just missed them. Why would you want to increase the degree of difficulty by taking a shot farther away from the basket? The solution is for our guys to make the bunnies. Not start throwin it out every time we get close to the basket. There are times that a drive and a pass does work...and you know what I'm seeing more of that now- especially these last few games. But let's not be passing it out for passing it out sake. The reality is we have to make the bunnies...most that I've seen missed were by far the right shot and were makeable. The last thing I would ever want to do is to dissuade guys like Anderson, Webb, Huff and even Schuler from driving and taking shots. Those opportunities get the opposing team in foul trouble, and we need to do that.

I was talking more in terms of when Huff drives in and there are double and triple teams and he continues to force up shots when several of our shooters are wide open for shots. The degree of diffuculty you mention in the paint is very high while trying to shoot over several guys that are taller than you versus kicking the ball out for one of our guys that are wide open. I would rather have a wide open 3 shot by Mithcell, Anderson or Schuler versus someone trying to force a shot in the paint over many bigger and stronger guys. The closest shot is not always the easiest nor the best.

Maybe this was already mentioned somewhere, but I just noticed that Montana is currently tied for the Big Sky Conference lead at 8-1 with their only loss coming to Weber St in Ogden, whom they are tied with for 1st place.

Can't wait until UND gets into the BIg Sky Conference schedule next season to see how we stack up week in and week out.

I was talking more in terms of when Huff drives in and there are double and triple teams and he continues to force up shots when several of our shooters are wide open for shots. The degree of diffuculty you mention in the paint is very high while trying to shoot over several guys that are taller than you versus kicking the ball out for one of our guys that are wide open. I would rather have a wide open 3 shot by Mithcell, Anderson or Schuler versus someone trying to force a shot in the paint over many bigger and stronger guys. The closest shot is not always the easiest nor the best.

Why are you only naming Huff in this. Why not name Schuler, Anderson, or Webb as well. Just seems a little strange. What's your angle there? Why not talk about the times when Mitchell has jacked up a 3 way too early in a posession. Isn't that as much as a forced shot as you seem to be talking about? They all have forced shots at times this season. Maybe Huff has a bit more at times, but I think he's learning. I've been impressed especially of late with what he has done to committing more to defense and to looking to make a pass. That's a sign that a player is growing. In fact, I think they are all learning & growing. Look how much more Mitchell looked to score recently for 5 to 15 feet on turnarounds. (and he's been effective doing it) Nearly as much as he was looking for the 3. Again the point is they all need to continue to get better in recognizing things. But I think-- with what I see with this team...they are.

In today's D1 game what's the number of 3's a team should look to shoot in a game?

Honestly, I don't have an answer for this, I'm just wondering. Personally, I think if we get up about 15 to 20 attempts of 3's per game... that's me personally is close to the right amount- not sure if that is a good number or not. Over 20 seems too many, under 15 and we're probably under utilizing that scoring area. I saw we shot 18 v. NJIT, only 8 at Utah Valley, 14 v. NDSU, 13 v. VCSU---of which we made only 2. Against Montana we took 12- made 5 and won. Against SDSU at The Betty, we took 19 made 9 and won. But in losses at Sac State and W. Illinois we took 26 and 15 respectively and lost. Just curious how many 3's should this team attempt per game, to be at it's most effective?

I think the number of 3's taken in a game should be a reflection of how well we can establish a post, or how tough the opposing team is playing in the paint. If they are giving up the three point line, then we should expect a higher number to be taken out there seeing as how they are good looks at the basket. Now if they aren't going in, then that becomes a problem and either you try to shoot through it (doesn't always work) or else you have to force the issue down low (which can present similar problems).

I think it is best to preserve a balance, take the 3 if you have a good look at it, but don't fall in love with it. Against NDSU I thought we had the balance that we needed, establishing Brekke down low early on and then shooting from the outside to keep the defense honest and from collapsing too hard into the lane.

I think the number of 3's taken in a game should be a reflection of how well we can establish a post, or how tough the opposing team is playing in the paint. If they are giving up the three point line, then we should expect a higher number to be taken out there seeing as how they are good looks at the basket. Now if they aren't going in, then that becomes a problem and either you try to shoot through it (doesn't always work) or else you have to force the issue down low (which can present similar problems).

I think it is best to preserve a balance, take the 3 if you have a good look at it, but don't fall in love with it. Against NDSU I thought we had the balance that we needed, establishing Brekke down low early on and then shooting from the outside to keep the defense honest and from collapsing too hard into the lane.

No doubt you have to have a balance of 3's and 2's. I also believe every game is different. You have to take whatever the defense gives you in a given night. Some nights our opponent packs it in and we shoot a lot of threes and hopefully the right guys for us are shooting the threes and making them. Other nights the inside game will be our strength. It seems we generally start strong on the inside with Brekke and then move it out as the game progresses. So, I dont think you can put a number on how many 3's our team should shoot. However, if we get a shooter hot we need to feed him.

Why are you only naming Huff in this. Why not name Schuler, Anderson, or Webb as well. Just seems a little strange. What's your angle there? Why not talk about the times when Mitchell has jacked up a 3 way too early in a posession. Isn't that as much as a forced shot as you seem to be talking about? They all have forced shots at times this season. Maybe Huff has a bit more at times, but I think he's learning. I've been impressed especially of late with what he has done to committing more to defense and to looking to make a pass. That's a sign that a player is growing. In fact, I think they are all learning & growing. Look how much more Mitchell looked to score recently for 5 to 15 feet on turnarounds. (and he's been effective doing it) Nearly as much as he was looking for the 3. Again the point is they all need to continue to get better in recognizing things. But I think-- with what I see with this team...they are.

In today's D1 game what's the number of 3's a team should look to shoot in a game?

Honestly, I don't have an answer for this, I'm just wondering. Personally, I think if we get up about 15 to 20 attempts of 3's per game... that's me personally is close to the right amount- not sure if that is a good number or not. Over 20 seems too many, under 15 and we're probably under utilizing that scoring area. I saw we shot 18 v. NJIT, only 8 at Utah Valley, 14 v. NDSU, 13 v. VCSU---of which we made only 2. Against Montana we took 12- made 5 and won. Against SDSU at The Betty, we took 19 made 9 and won. But in losses at Sac State and W. Illinois we took 26 and 15 respectively and lost. Just curious how many 3's should this team attempt per game, to be at it's most effective?

During a game yes bad shots are taken by several of our players. Named Huff cause everyone knows and talks about the quantity of bad shots he takes. Yes he is getting better but still has games where this is not true. Coach Jones is pulling and bringing him to the sides more and more as the year progresses when he starts to do this. Didn't name anyone else cause it rarely happens with some of the other players.

NODAK are u serious? You have to be kidding me! I'm with Green Team. It seems now you ppl are really trying FIND things about Huff. The kid has been playing amazing as of lately. Not just offensively, but defensively as well. Stop talking about "the forced" shots he takes, every shot won't be to your liking. How about talk about his great defensive. They all force shots, it's called trying to put the ball in the basket. You people won't be happy until he shoots 1-3 shots a game....maybe he should to shut you people up! Get a damn hobby!

And another thing? You said it doesn't happen with anyone else? Are u kidding me...Webb drives with 3-4 guys in the lane as well...but who cares....WE need him to to do so, hello, we want to get others in foul trouble! Mitchell forced up 3-4 extra 3's a game, but who cares....WE need him too! He is shooting it well! Honestly I believe Shuler should get in there and force up a few more shots, just to keep his confidence and aggressiveness up. Are u even a basketball fan?

NODAK are u serious? You have to be kidding me! I'm with Green Team. It seems now you ppl are really trying FIND things about Huff. The kid has been playing amazing as of lately. Not just offensively, but defensively as well. Stop talking about "the forced" shots he takes, every shot won't be to your liking. How about talk about his great defensive. They all force shots, it's called trying to put the ball in the basket. You people won't be happy until he shoots 1-3 shots a game....maybe he should to shut you people up! Get a damn hobby!

Sportsmatic welcome back. Was wondering what happened to you in the last week. I agree with you on the part that he has been playing better on defense but he has not been amazing on offense lately. He is 16-47 from the floor in the last 4 games which is only 34% and is 2 of 13 from three which is only 15% and I'm sure his free throw percentage is only about 50%. Im sorry but that is not amazing. You need to chill on this forum here lately. Everyone see's things in a different way and you are so protective of your boy its rediculous. You attached Anderson and upset his family earlier and you said some very inappropriate things to me about Anderson. Its a fact your boy takes way too many bad shots every game. For this team to go further he needs to understand this as well as other players. I was behind the bench in the last game and at one time Jones was trying so desperately to call a timeout when Huff was shooting 3 consective times under the basket with the entire team on him. The timeout was not granted and every shot was missed. When he is under control we play very well. I only hope it happens. At that point I will have to fined something else to talk about, huh.

And another thing? You said it doesn't happen with anyone else? Are u kidding me...Webb drives with 3-4 guys in the lane as well...but who cares....WE need him to to do so, hello, we want to get others in foul trouble! Mitchell forced up 3-4 extra 3's a game, but who cares....WE need him too! He is shooting it well! Honestly I believe Shuler should get in there and force up a few more shots, just to keep his confidence and aggressiveness up. Are u even a basketball fan?

You bring up a good point on Schuler. Does anyone know why this kid stands in the corner so much without moving. Im sure he's doing this because that is what he is told. Obviously the guards are suppose to penetrate and when his man helps a dish is suppose to go his way. What I have noticed is Schuler's man does not leave him at all. Last game they were even face guarding him so he could not touch the ball. A couple of games he was moving alot and coming off screens and scoring. Last game he was back to standing in his corner. Doesn't make sense to me. He is our best pure shooter and needs touches and shots to get into a flow. Just curious if anyone knows.

Again, sioux2013...how about you stay off of my forum kid....you clearly hate this kid, in which u said u "don't like him".....how about u go to Huff and tell him u don't like him...ur such an idiot. You spend ur entire life on this site, get a life dude. You live and die by UND basketball forum and criticizing Huff. Don't be an angry bird kiddo...enjoy the winning streak their having....

Again, sioux2013...how about you stay off of my forum kid....you clearly hate this kid, in which u said u "don't like him".....how about u go to Huff and tell him u don't like him...ur such an idiot. You spend ur entire life on this site, get a life dude. You live and die by UND basketball forum and criticizing Huff. Don't be an angry bird kiddo...enjoy the winning streak their having....

You are a work of art. Never ever said I hate Huff. Always said he is the most athletic and has the most promise of anyone on this team. I criticize him for his selfish play game after game. You obviously do not understand how important every possession in a game is. And I have said many times once he realizes he is not the team this team will win more games. Let me ask you something. Do you think your boy should be taking 3's when he cant shoot outside 5'? Thats a lost possession 80+ percent of the time when he shoots a 3. Thats what I look at. Huff should be driving and penetrating and if the lane is not open then I bet you at least 2 guys are open somewhere. This team has come so far TOGETHER on the defensive side this year now they need to tighten things up on the offensive side and we may not lose another game. I believe in moving the ball inside and out and working the ball until we find an open shot. I have said this all year and I am not about to change. You believe in your boy shooting the ball 20 times a game and scoring 15 points. I have said he does not need to shoot the ball 20 times in order to score 15 points, just play smarter with his shots and he will still get his 15 points. We play the best when 4-5 guys take 9-10 shots each. You dont understand this though.

You bring up a good point on Schuler. Does anyone know why this kid stands in the corner so much without moving. Im sure he's doing this because that is what he is told. Obviously the guards are suppose to penetrate and when his man helps a dish is suppose to go his way. What I have noticed is Schuler's man does not leave him at all. Last game they were even face guarding him so he could not touch the ball. A couple of games he was moving alot and coming off screens and scoring. Last game he was back to standing in his corner. Doesn't make sense to me. He is our best pure shooter and needs touches and shots to get into a flow. Just curious if anyone knows.

I agree with the movement on Schuler. I think he is best utilized kind of like a Rip Hamilton with the Pistons for the longest time, keep him moving and constantly off-ball screening for him. You give him one good look at the basket from around 10-12' and it seems to be a guaranteed basket. I'd just like to see more of this integrated into the offense.

I am a fan and apparantly know alot more about basketball than you. A forced shot usually does not go in, and you want more people taking forced shots. Great Idea. You have called so many people various names on this forum about how they see the game and its players. How many more people are you going to piss off? You are seriously the one that needs to get a life and a hobby. One more question, how many games have you actually gone to this year? Just curious.

Watch out sioux2013 or he'll beat you up through the interwebs :silly:

Nodak2013, I can picture you...probably some nerd who has nothing to do, who sits in his little dorm, and argues on a forum to feel like a "tough guy." stop it bro, u look and sound like a clown. UND BIZ, u clearly had to jump in and feel it it was important to take up for your girlfriend NODAK...seriously kid's, don't talk !@#$ over the Internet...wanna talk !@#$, talk about it in person, thats how i roll...until then, enjoy your day. Oh and by the way, Go Sioux!

Sioux24/7....I'm not fighting about Huff...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just don't understand when guys get on one person, and don't criticize anyone else....its not about him. If someone was to criticize Shuler day after day, I would take up for these kids. These are young men, who all have the same common goal, that is to win. If there playing decent basketball what's the issue. If someone were to criticize Coach Jones, which they have, I will take up for him. Coach Jones is trying his best with this young group. He gets the blame when we lose and it isn't fair. He puts a strategy together, the guys have to go out there and compete. We forget this guy is a conference champ, just as we forget Huff is a All-conference, All-tourney team, Freshman All-American. Let's stop criticizing our own soooooo much. That's my point.