SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I agree. But like Rough riders more, and I used to hate the RRHS Riders when I was at Central. Their logo is and was timeless. But they were red, we will be green.

Most midwestern flagships have a state nickname as their nickname. ND nicknames are:

the Sioux State - xx

Flickertail State - xx

Peace Garden State - xx

Roughrider State - only state nickname left that can serve as a mascot

Cornhusker, Gopher, Hawkeye, Badger, Buckeye, Wolverine, Hoosier, Jayhawk, Sooner, Longhorn, Razorback, Volunteer, Mountaineer are all official state nicknames and the flagship U's mascot. It really isn't that difficult.

Have a Cavalry band or as some other student or booster support organization with military ranks as levels of donors.

Roughriders is not unique.  Not only the HS, but Cedar Rapids for hockey, Saskatchewan for football and Frisco Texas for AAA Baseball.

I can't find a HS, College or Professional team with the nickname Cavalry.

That is unique.

And for the record, I don't/didn't hate RRHS.  I played football there.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Roughriders is not unique.  Not only the HS, but Cedar Rapids for hockey, Saskatchewan for football and Frisco Texas for AAA Baseball.

That is unique.

I'll disagree with you on Roughriders.  Of the 64 left the two you mentoined above are the clear cut winners IMO and we should vote now!

• Upvote 1

This was one I liked originally - there are a couple of schools that use it but not too many - they could use a lion's roar as a sound effect after a touchdown or goal (as in a pride of lions), but it also fits well with our military and strong Scandinavian pride.

I am not Scandinavian, and am now offended!

?

• Upvote 1

Except this time it would be by choice instead of force. UND was prohibited by law from replacing Fighting Sioux when it was retired, they no longer have that restriction in place. There is a material difference in the two.

All there is left to say to that is Holy semantics Batman

All there is left to say to that is Holy semantics Batman

Agree to disagree I guess.  UND only has no nickname right now because they were not allowed to choose a new one when the old one was retired.  Had that restriction not been in place, this process would have taken place in 2011/2012 and your point about them continuing on with no nickname as they currently are would not have existed.

I live 90 miles from my wife's alma mata NAU. I can even see flagstaff from my house. I have to say I have seen the new hatchet logo a couple of times but have never seen suspenders guy until it was postd on this thead. Apparently its not very popular.

Agree to disagree I guess. UND only has no nickname right now because they were not allowed to choose a new one when the old one was retired. Had that restriction not been in place, this process would have taken place in 2011/2012 and your point about them continuing on with no nickname as they currently are would not have existed.

So you're saying my point would be incorrect if we revised history..... Hmmm... I guess I'll agree with you there...

. But I'll still stick by my point under the current laws and history of the 3 dimensional world I am currently living in.

If you want verbal diarrhea, try reading this out loud.  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/Nicknames-full%20list.pdf

I'll bite.

I think these are acceptable:

Blackhawks, Cavalry, Flames, North stars, RoughRiders.

Im just not for overreacting to a possibility of something stupid being picked until the time gets closer.  Everyone needs to relax.

• Upvote 3

So you're saying my point would be incorrect if we revised history..... Hmmm... I guess I'll agree with you there...

. But I'll still stick by my point under the current laws and history of the 3 dimensional world I am currently living in.

No I'm saying because of reality and laws that were put in place, there is a huge difference between not having a nickname the last few years and to choose not having one going forward now that those restrictions have been removed.  You claim that is semantics and I disagree.  It is two completely separate situations and choosing to go forward without a nickname would be a voluntary choice whereas the past few years there was no choice, UND was prohibited from doing anything different.

While I am not opposed to going with no nickname, I believe that Kelly will try to push for one. That being said there are a couple, and only a couple, of nicknames on the remaining list that are tolerable. Those name being: roughriders, cavalry, north stars. My question is has there been enough time for people to not associate North Stars with Minnesota? I don't want to be known as the school that thinks they are in Minnesota or wishes they were in Minnesota.

• Upvote 1

Question:

If that silly "cooling off period" law never happened, would UND have a new nickname installed since retirement of the old in 2012. 

I say yes it would have. Immediately. That would have followed what Arkansas State did:

- ASU picked "Wolves" on Jan 31, 2008

- ASU retired "Indians" on Feb 28, 2008

- ASU got NCAA approval on "Red Wolves" on Mar 7, 2008

ASU went 7 days without a nickname. Smooth. Simple. Integrated. In place already for nearly a decade. 

No I'm saying because of reality and laws that were put in place, there is a huge difference between not having a nickname the last few years and to choose not having one going forward now that those restrictions have been removed. You claim that is semantics and I disagree. It is two completely separate situations and choosing to go forward without a nickname would be a voluntary choice whereas the past few years there was no choice, UND was prohibited from doing anything different.

Maybe I will write Rep Carlson to see if we can get a perpetual moratorium on the UND nickname. Or as another option, extend the cooling off period another 5-7 years.

Question:

If that silly "cooling off period" law never happened, would UND have a new nickname installed since retirement of the old in 2012. 

I say yes it would have. Immediately. That would have followed what Arkansas State did:

ASU went 7 days without a nickname. Smooth. Simple. Integrated. In place already for nearly a decade. 

Follow up question.

What if UND made the decision the first time in 2010 to go with something else?  How much money, time, etc could have been saved?

• Upvote 1

Follow up question.

What if UND made the decision the first time in 2010 to go with something else?  How much money, time, etc could have been saved?

I'm going to need gfhockey's W-2 calculator for that cypherin'. 

Question:

Red wolves.......great nickname. Very unique. If we could have rushed into something, I would have loved to see....Green Eagles, Green Hawks, Green Wolves, Green Bulldogs, or Big Green. That would have been awesome!

Follow up question.

What if UND made the decision the first time in 2010 to go with something else? How much money, time, etc could have been saved?

Yeah and it would have saved me from explaining to my daughter why we had to change our nickname because the NCAA said it was hostile and abusive!

Red wolves.......great nickname. Very unique. If we could have rushed into something, I would have loved to see....Green Eagles, Green Hawks, Green Wolves, Green Bulldogs, or Big Green. That would have been awesome!

ASU went through a study and committee process prior to January 2008 to end up at Red Wolves. No rushing. But they also executed, instead of choosing to dwell nearly perpetually on spilled milk. 

And I think they did OK with their logo and word marks; however, I'll defer to the connoisseur of such things, MafiaMan for his opinion. (I'll admit I'm not a fan of the white, runny mascara on their dog.) 

That is unique.

And for the record, I don't/didn't hate RRHS.  I played football there.

Roughriders is unique among college and pro ranks in the US, which is a pretty high hurdle to meet.  I wouldn't worry about minor league teams like those above.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I will write Rep Carlson to see if we can get a perpetual moratorium on the UND nickname. Or as another option, extend the cooling off period another 5-7 years.

If he thought he could make some sort of point to the SBoHE by doing so, he'd probably consider it.  Otherwise he could not care less.

An extension of the cooling off period was introduced during the legislative session that just ended.  It was one of the early pieces of legislation that was proposed and voted on.  It failed by a large margin, 62-21 with 11 abstaining.  Even the legislature realized it was time to move on.

Rep Carlson has come back from Indianapolis with his tail between his legs once. He knows this is one to keep clear of because the statewide electorate has spoken. 

He voted for the cooling off period extension, but it didn't sound like he put his full effort behind the bill.