SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Ames High School Cyclones in Ames, Iowa, home of the Iowa State Cyclones. 

Which came first? I bet you Iowa State had their nickname first.  

I have no issue with a high school copying a university.  A university copying the local high school feels different to me.

• Upvote 1

That was my thought too.  That's why I think if Nokota is to be the nickname, it needs to be Fighting or Charging or Wild or SOMETHING between Dakota and Nokota.

I'd vote Wild for the rhythm in saying it. 

North Da-ko-ta

Wild No-ko-ta

Enough with Flickertails. A flickertail is a gopher. Our mascot would be a gopher. Has everyone lost their mind?

Between that (flickertail = gopher) and the North Stars idea (Minnesota state motto) why don't we just rename the state to West Minnesota? 

• Upvote 1

So to recap on the possibility of using Roughriders for the new UND nickname:  The good people of Grand Forks and anyone ever associated with RRHS need to give written consent that they approve with the potential duplication of the nickname...or that RRHS will adopt the new nickname "Little Roughriders".  Also either the university or RRHS need to phyiscally move its location to fulfill the criteria as to be located more than 1.5 miles from each other but within 65 miles based on the geographic relationship between Kindred and Valley City.

Did I miss anything?

You need to have something Minnesota, like their state motto or state nickname, thrown into the mix. :D 

I have no issue with a high school copying a university.  A university copying the local high school feels different to me.

Saskatchewan CFL: founded 1910

GFRRHS: founded 1967

Cedar Rapids USHL: founded 1983

Sioux Falls (SD) Roosevelt HS: founded 1991

You say copy. Apparently there's a lot of copy. 

Others say choosing the name given to the followers of the man who was ND's greatest advocate. 

North Dakota Nokotas.  

Do people who support that name actually think it sounds good?

Yes, I also have no problem with North Dakota Wild Nokotas or even North Dakota Charging Nokotas.

Would you prefer North Dakota Nodaks?

I think by 2008 people knew the writing was on the wall - you really can't use any sales numbers for the last 3 years as any type of bench mark - thoughts on a new name/logo matching these numbers?

I was just throwing the numbers out there without comment. I thought you had kind of wondered what they actually were. Obviously there was a huge rush on Sioux merchandise when it became apparent that this would be the last opportunity to do so. I would imagine that if they decide to choose a new name and logo that there would be an initial spike in sales but any long term projection would be tough to make as it would depend on the quality and popularity of the name and logo, having good and fresh designs, and of course the success of our Athletic Teams.......before NDSU's move to D1, UND merchandise actually outsold NDSU merchandise by a pretty substantial amount at FARGO Scheels.

Saskatchewan CFL: founded 1910

GFRRHS: founded 1967

Cedar Rapids USHL: founded 1983

Sioux Falls (SD) Roosevelt HS: founded 1991

You say copy. Apparently there's a lot of copy. 

Others say choosing the name given to the followers of the man who was ND's greatest advocate. 

Other HS using the name....

Roughriders
Boys Ranch, TX
Center, TX
Memorial (St. Marys, OH)
Pima, AZ
Port Angeles, WA
Red River (Grand Forks, ND)
Roeper (Birmingham, MI)
Roosevelt (Des Moines, IA)
Roosevelt (Johnstown, CO)
Roosevelt, NY
Roosevelt (Portland, OR)
Roosevelt (St. Louis, MO)
Roosevelt (Washington, DC)
Southwest (Bartley, NE) 
Western Reserve (Collins, OH)
West Jefferson, OH
West Side (Newark, NJ)
Rough Riders
Catasauqua, PA
Harwich, MA
Roosevelt (Chicago, IL)
Roosevelt (Fresno, CA)
Roosevelt (Honolulu, HI)
Roosevelt (Kent, OH)
Roosevelt (Los Angeles, CA)
Roosevelt (San Antonio, TX)
Roosevelt (Seattle, WA)
Roosevelt (Sioux Falls, SD)
Roosevelt Educational Campus (Bronx, NY)

Roughriders make the most sense of any on that list.  If the only reason people have an issue with it is because of a high school in the same town, then they need to get over it.  If Red River had a different name, I would guess that Roughriders would be the overwhelming favorite at this point.  There is no college or pro team that has Roughriders which is good enough for me.  It's going to be nearly impossible to find a name that no other school, semi pro team, professional team somewhere has  used.  North Dakota is the Roughrider State, like it or not.  As has been pointed out, the highest award the state give out is the Roughrider award.  It just makes the most sense...

• Upvote 4

High Schools using the name Cavalry...

None.

College teams using Cavalry

None.

Professional teams using Cavlary

None.

Cavalry has uniqueness.

Inevitably, Cavalry will be shortened to Cavs...as in the Cleveland "Cavs" Cavliers and Virginia "Cavs" Cavaliers...Which is why it is third on my list, behind Roughriders and Nokota (Fighting Nokes).

I won't list all of the high schools that have Cavaliers/Cavs, but it's longer than your list of high schools with Rough Riders...

• Upvote 2

High Schools using the name Cavalry...

None.

College teams using Cavalry

None.

Professional teams using Cavlary

None.

Cavalry has uniqueness.

I actually like Cavalry but I don't think it flies. You do know what the 7th Calvary was responsible for right? Rob Port was all over this when it was first on the list, I'm not sure if Calvary deviates enough from that. If we did end up the Calvary i'd be ok with it, but I don't think it gets very far based on that. 

As for the uniqueness of Rough Riders I think you are way off. Minor league teams and high school teams are not a big deal. The only one of those with any real brand awareness is the CFL team and they are in Canada. Rough Riders is plenty unique and it ties in well with this state. Besides if you read that letter to the editor I linked a few pages back you would've seen that in the SEC alone there are 3 teams named the Tigers....Roughriders is plenty unique. You could nitpick any name if you wanted to start digging through high schools and minor league teams.

Roughriders make the most sense of any on that list.  If the only reason people have an issue with it is because of a high school in the same town, then they need to get over it.  If Red River had a different name, I would guess that Roughriders would be the overwhelming favorite at this point.  There is no college or pro team that has Roughriders which is good enough for me.  It's going to be nearly impossible to find a name that no other school, semi pro team, professional team somewhere has  used.  North Dakota is the Roughrider State, like it or not.  As has been pointed out, the highest award the state give out is the Roughrider award.  It just makes the most sense...

I think it's lame to copy the local high school team, but if it is chosen, I'd get over it.  Even someone like me who has been critical of Roughriders concedes it's in the top-5 of that dreadful list. 

I think it's lame to copy the local high school team, but if it is chosen, I'd get over it.  Even someone like me who has been critical of Roughriders concedes it's in the top-5 of that dreadful list.

Only thing UND would be "copying" is the state nickname.

Which lots of universities do.