SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Only two I could live with are Cavalry & Prairie Hawks

Roughriders is terrible & makes no sense & I hope the votes will not be there - It is in use & really has nothing to do with ND

Fetch, look up the name Jesse Langdon and tell me there isn't an association with Rough Riders in ND.  

top three:

1. Roughriders

3. Nokotas

3. Flickertails

I'm okay with any of the three.

Let's get this done asap.

I'm coming around to Nokotas if it can't be........wait for it........Ridas.

what does cavalry have to do with north dakota?  

and two word combos of a color/region and a idea/thing/noun are odd and a dime a dozen---

You're kidding, right?   7th Cavalry?  Custer?  Battle of Little Big Horn?  Wounded Knee Massacre?  

There was also the 1st Dakota Cavalry Battalion- they were charged with keeping the settlers safe from Indian uprisings during the Civil War time period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Dakota_Cavalry_Battalion

Because of what their duties were, I can't hardly believe when it comes down to the final countdown Cavalry will be considered as a nickname option.  I prefer no nickname, but wouldn't mind Cavalry-  it's a part of the history of North Dakota, unlike- you guessed it- Roughridas!

The Roughriders were never here.  They were from the southwestern states.   They were from hot climate regions by design, as those men were used to the weather conditions they would encounter in Cuba.  As a whole, they were together for just a few months from the beginning of training to the end of their fighting in Cuba.

There was one member of the 1250+  Roughrider group who was from North Dakota.   His name was Jesse Langdon.  He was a 16 year old boy from Fargo who knew Teddy Roosevelt because Langdon's father was the Head Veterinarian at the North Dakota Ag College, and had worked Roosevelt's cattle.  As a side note, a few years after he was with the Roughriders, Jesse claimed to have psychic powers.  The link of North Dakota to the Roughriders is virtually non-existent, unless honoring a 16 year old boy from the NDAC is the plan for UND.

Yes.....I realize there is a Roughrider award.  I realize the ND Tourism Dept. has done a great job trying to sell North Dakota as the roughrider state.  I've been to the Medora Musical- at the end of it, when they charge up San Juan Hill.... that hill's just southwest of Dickinson, right?   :silly:

I think it's nuts the state sells itself on a fictitious history that has been repeated so many times now that some people mistake it for the truth.   

If it is chosen it will definitely be unique- UND will be the only U. with a nickname chosen to honor a fairytale history.   

You're kidding, right?   7th Cavalry?  Custer?  Battle of Little Big Horn?  Wounded Knee Massacre?  

There was also the 1st Dakota Cavalry Battalion- they were charged with keeping the settlers safe from Indian uprisings during the Civil War time period.

Because of what their duties were, I can't hardly believe when it comes down to the final countdown Cavalry will be considered as a nickname option.  I prefer no nickname, but wouldn't mind Cavalry-  it's a part of the history of North Dakota, unlike- you guessed it- Roughridas!

The Roughriders were never here.  They were from the southwestern states.   They were from hot climate regions by design, as those men were used to the weather conditions they would encounter in Cuba.  As a whole, they were together for just a few months from the beginning of training to the end of their fighting in Cuba.

There was one member of the 1250+  Roughrider group who was from North Dakota.   His name was Jesse Langdon.  He was a 16 year old boy from Fargo who knew Teddy Roosevelt because Langdon's father was the Head Veterinarian at the North Dakota Ag College, and had worked Roosevelt's cattle.  As a side note, a few years after he was with the Roughriders, Jesse claimed to have psychic powers.  The link of North Dakota to the Roughriders is virtually non-existent, unless honoring a 16 year old boy from the NDAC is the plan for UND.

Yes.....I realize there is a Roughrider award.  I realize the ND Tourism Dept. has done a great job trying to sell North Dakota as the roughrider state.  I've been to the Medora Musical- at the end of it, when they charge up San Juan Hill.... that hill's just southwest of Dickinson, right?   :silly:

I think it's nuts the state sells itself on a fictitious history that has been repeated so many times now that some people mistake it for the truth.   

If it is chosen it will definitely be unique- UND will be the only U. with a nickname chosen to honor a fairytale history.   

only problem with your above statement is that every other state in the union could name their team the cavalry and mean the 3th volunteer regiment or the 9th regiment or the 10th regiment...it is too generic. but in the end if it chosen i would be all for it...good logo possibilities, somewhat unique, ties to the state...

The Roughriders were never here. They were from the southwestern states. They were from hot climate regions by design, as those men were used to the weather conditions they would encounter in Cuba. As a whole, they were together for just a few months from the beginning of training to the end of their fighting in Cuba.

So, how many Spartans were from Michigan? How many Trojans from Southern California?

For that matter, I thought the 'Rebs' were from the Confederacy, not Las Vegas, Nevada.

How many Seminoles are there in Fl... oops, my the NCAA's bad. ;)

It does go with the state's marketing program, and is like the Tennessee Volunteers, the Oklahoma Sooners, the Kansas Jayhawks... Need I go on?

1. Roughriders

2. (Charging) Nokotas

3. (Grey) Wolves

4. Cavalry

• Upvote 2

Langdon was the last living rough rider from ND, there was more than one roughrider from ND. Roosevelt himself lived here at one point. Central needs to get over itself.

Forgive me if this has been covered, but can someone tell me whether UND is open to a change in color scheme as well?  The current colors are less than ideal for much of the remaining list.  Go Green Snow Leopards!

Forgive me if this has been covered, but can someone tell me whether UND is open to a change in color scheme as well?  The current colors are less than ideal for much of the remaining list.  Go Green Snow Leopards!

I floated this a while back and I don't think there's much of a stomach for that around here. To your question, I haven't heard anything to suggest that a color change is even remotely under official consideration.* Dem colors run deep.

* - Besides, the semester is over and it would be nearly impossible to convene the requisite three committees.

I floated this a while back and I don't think there's much of a stomach for that around here. To your question, I haven't heard anything to suggest that a color change is even remotely under official consideration.* Dem colors run deep.

* - Besides, the semester is over and it would be nearly impossible to convene the requisite three committees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Dakota

look under official colors. not green, black, and white

and yes if und takes roughriders they should ask the city to rename the school the "roosevelts or the teddy's"...wouldn't cost too much to change and both high schools in town are talk about the old days of the redskins/roughriders...

Change RRHS to the Riders, that way the girls hockey team can still be the Knightriders.

There will be no change in colors as has been stated from the start of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Dakota

look under official colors. not green, black, and white

Green and pink are the official school (academic) colors. Green and white are the official colors of the athletic department.  Black is commonly added and used as well though I'm not sure if it was ever "officially" added.

So to recap on the possibility of using Roughriders for the new UND nickname:  The good people of Grand Forks and anyone ever associated with RRHS need to give written consent that they approve with the potential duplication of the nickname...or that RRHS will adopt the new nickname "Little Roughriders".  Also either the university or RRHS need to phyiscally move its location to fulfill the criteria as to be located more than 1.5 miles from each other but within 65 miles based on the geographic relationship between Kindred and Valley City.

Did I miss anything?

• Upvote 1

Green and pink are the official school (academic) colors. Green and white are the official colors of the athletic department.  Black is commonly added and used as well though I'm not sure if it was ever "officially" added.

Never understood why this is so hard for some people to understand.