SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Roughriders is unique among college and pro ranks in the US, which is a pretty high hurdle to meet. I wouldn't worry about minor league teams like those above.

Roughriders was the former name of Case Institute, but that school merged with Western Reserve to become Case Western and adopted a new nickname. Its an Ivy League school academically, so that's the reason I mention it.

Few people know or care about minor leagues or the CFL.

The state of North Dakota can use a reinforcing image of Roughriders as a nickname by UND using it too. Its a positive feedback loop that only gets stronger over time. Cavalry can be used for auxillary organizations, but it doesn't help the state much if its used as a nickname.

• Upvote 1

If Red River officially changes their nickname I'd go for Rough Riders, however not until that happens.

So did all the high schools and colleges around here named vikings have to change their names when the NFL Vikings came on the scene in 1961? Kindred residents and Valley City State alumni must have been furious. Somehow, someway theres no confusion among the NFL Vikings and other colleges and HSs with the same nickname.

• Upvote 1

So did all the high schools and colleges around here named vikings have to change their names when the NFL Vikings came on the scene in 1961? Kindred residents and Valley City State alumni must have been furious. Somehow, someway theres no confusion among the NFL Vikings and other colleges and HSs with the same nickname.

I didn't realize that the Minnesota Vikings played any games in Kindred, ND or Valley City, ND.  Those games must not get a lot of publicity.  Or maybe the Minnesota Vikings headquarters is located in one of those North Dakota towns.  Doesn't sound like much of a comparison, located hundreds of miles apart instead of 1.5 miles apart.

Ames High School Cyclones in Ames, Iowa, home of the Iowa State Cyclones. 

Did I know that before I looked it up? Nope. Didn't care.

Most folks outside of Grand Forks County will be the same regarding Roughriders. 

• Upvote 2

I didn't realize that the Minnesota Vikings played any games in Kindred, ND or Valley City, ND.  Those games must not get a lot of publicity.  Or maybe the Minnesota Vikings headquarters is located in one of those North Dakota towns.  Doesn't sound like much of a comparison, located hundreds of miles apart instead of 1.5 miles apart.

Twin Cities area schools with that name felt put upon. Deal with it.

A state nickname should be an option for a flagship university, period.

Kindred and Valley City State learned to live with it, even though in the hometowns the NFL team was referenced more by townfolk and media.

• Upvote 1

Most folks outside of Grand Forks County will be the same regarding Roughriders. 

I do know it and think it is fine that UND has the name.  Not my first choice, but ok with it.

I think that Grand Forks Central will get over it, so the name is the same

Of the remaining names left, Cavalry has the most appeal to me. And I think the potential for logos and marketing for the name is tremendous.

North Dakota Cavalry. Has a nice ring to it.

And the Home of the Cavalry,..........hmmm its really missing something :/. I guess i could live with Blackhawks or Roughriders. Or a form of a wolf would be cool. It's far fetched but how about Lychens?? Kinda cool and i bet no one else has it

I only think of one thing with "Pride": and that's gay pride ("Pride Week" at UND would be quite confusing))...and I'm pretty sure that portion of people in society will only be getting a "stronger voice."

I guess in hindsight our logo would be quite popular around the country....

• Upvote 2

There are plenty of no goes on that list.  All that the name needed to advance was 1 vote.  A person would hope that common sense would prevail.  I thought that when this whole "Sioux" issue came up too.  With Kelly at the helm, don't be surprised with what we end up with and have nothing to say about it.

what boggles me is that everyone i talk to about this says they like roughriders and nokotas the best (same with me) but i have not found one person that says "i like big green, green hawks, green pride, green sundogs, pride, flames, force, or any other stupid ass nicknames being thrown about? where are these people...oh yeah...fargo...a place i don't go to that often.

nokotas-no one else has it...original and has a meaning

roughriders-state nickname...run with it

• Upvote 3

And Flame = UND would be known as the Flamers to NDSU and U of MN people.

Who gives a crap what others are going to do with any of our potential new nicknames? If that is one of our overriding concerns, we've got thinner skin than I thought we did. It's not like our beloved Fighting Sioux nickname was immune from other fan bases twisting and morphing it into derrogatory and pejorative forms and phrases, and somehow we all got by ok.

Only two I could live with are Cavalry & Prairie Hawks

Roughriders is terrible & makes no sense & I hope the votes will not be there - It is in use & really has nothing to do with ND

• Upvote 2

Roughriders is terrible & makes no sense & I hope the votes will not be there - It is in use & really has nothing to do with ND

You been drinking too many Bud Lime again...haven't you?

Your information isn't completely accurate. Ames High School are the Little Cyclones. They don't use the exact same name as Iowa State. Not exactly the same as having a high school and college in the same town use the exact same name. Pretty easy to keep them straight that way. It seems to be important to them that they are the Little Cyclones, not just the Cyclones. Maybe someone should convince Red River they should be the Little Roughriders so UND can become the Roughriders.

what does cavalry have to do with north dakota?  

and two word combos of a color/region and a idea/thing/noun are odd and a dime a dozen---

green hawks

green wave

green force

mean green

red wolves

red storm

red hogs

red dragons

red foxes

blue hose

blue hawks

blue rebels

blue raiders

blue streaks

tundra hawks

prairie storm

prairie wolves

purple raiders

purple eagles

purple knights

arctic foxes

valley dragons

golden flashes

golden lions

golden bobcats

thunder wolves

prairie stars.....

game show time...match up more than three of the above names with their respective schools...i follow sports as much as anyone on here and i would have a hard time doing that..

sooners

gamecocks

tar heels

gators

buffalos

jayhawks

longhorns

razorbacks

volunteers

hoosiers

hawkeyes

game show time..match up more than three of the above names with their respective schools now

roughriders/nokotas would be easily recognizable as unique to und...especially is given time and a cool/marketable logo...

I'll bite.

I think these are acceptable:

Blackhawks, Cavalry, Flames, North stars, RoughRiders.

Im just not for overreacting to a possibility of something stupid being picked until the time gets closer. Everyone needs to relax.

Isn't one of Minnesota's official nicknames "The North Star State?" That makes it a no go for me.

The names I could live with from the list:

Roughriders

Nokota/Nokes-drop the "Wild" add "Fighting"

Cavalry, although I don't like it being shortened to Cavs.

Here is a letter to the editor you should read and everyone should read. Lays out a ton of great points why UND should choose Roughriders. If your big reason they shouldn't is because Grand Forks Red River uses it I question whether you have ever traveled outside Grand Forks County in your life. No one thinks of Red River high when they hear that name. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/3740341-letter-und-would-be-only-rough-riders-central-grad-would-cheer

The part i like the best. What is the highest honor a North Dakota resident can get.......THE ROUGH RIDER Award!!

Just a no brainer imo. This is the Rough Rider state, the name is plastered all over ND already, and you could do a lot of great things with that name. 

• Upvote 2

Your information isn't completely accurate. Ames High School are the Little Cyclones. They don't use the exact same name as Iowa State. Not exactly the same as having a high school and college in the same town use the exact same name. Pretty easy to keep them straight that way. It seems to be important to them that they are the Little Cyclones, not just the Cyclones. Maybe someone should convince Red River they should be the Little Roughriders so UND can become the Roughriders.

and yes if und takes roughriders they should ask the city to rename the school the "roosevelts or the teddy's"...wouldn't cost too much to change and both high schools in town are talk about the old days of the redskins/roughriders...