SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

They've thrown "Spirit" out there a lot. Of course it couldn't be "Spirit of the Sioux" and perhaps even the smallest hint that "Spirit" relates to Sioux might be enough to kill it. The "North Dakota Spirit" has been used around the state in various capacities over the years.

This would be all the more reason to start linking the 2 together ASAP.  Hopefully "they" would catch wind that "we" will turn it into the Spirit of the Sioux and this has no chance of becoming the new name.  Spirit would be about the worst name they could pick.  I'd rather go with MM's Glittery Unicorns before Spirit.

Wolves

Oilers

Roughriders

Warriors (non-NA reference)

I'm partial to "Warriors of the North" possibly with mjolnir or a similar war hammer as part of our logo. I absolutely hate the sundog, spirit crap and would seriously rethink my contribution as well if we come up with this pc crap.  

I'm partial to "Warriors of the North" possibly with mjolnir or a similar war hammer as part of our logo. I absolutely hate the sundog, spirit crap and would seriously rethink my contribution as well if we come up with this pc crap.  

Warriors_of_the_North.jpg

I'm partial to "Warriors of the North"...

I don't understand the group of folks who think that having the word "north" appear in the school name AND the nickname is an OK idea...

NORTH Dakota NORTHern Lights?

NORTH Dakota Warriors of the NORTH?

Really?

As much as the Nokota horse is cool, is a combination of "North" and "Dakota" in the nickname the best we can offer? And is it Nokota or Nokotas? Nokoti?

I don't understand the group of folks who think that having the word "north" appear in the school name AND the nickname is an OK idea...

Really?

As much as the Nokota horse is cool, is a combination of "North" and "Dakota" in the nickname the best we can offer? And is it Nokota or Nokotas? Nokoti?

The Nickname of the GFAFB is the Warriors of the North. UND can just be Warriors.

Apparently there is a semi-pro team in Maryland that uses the name and they use Nokotas.

TwittterProfile_400x400.PNG

And your favorite team pointed out, putting the "s" on the end is interchangeable..... :whistling:

ND-State-Bisons.jpg?w=300&h=200&zc=1&s=0

North Dakota Nokota sounds like we're saying No, to ourselves. Plus the rhyming sounds juvenile.

I also can't grasp the idea of following in the footsteps of the local high school and naming ourselves after a condom manufacturer/ group of cowboys that trained in New Mexico and forgot their horses at home and died of malaria in Cuba.

North Dakota Nokota sounds like we're saying No, to ourselves. Plus the rhyming sounds juvenile.

I also can't grasp the idea of following in the footsteps of the local high school and naming ourselves after a condom manufacturer/ group of cowboys that trained in New Mexico and forgot their horses at home and died of malaria in Cuba.

Alright, Trojans or Titans it is!

That always looks like the lost, seventh member of The Village People to me:

Cop, chief, cowboy, biker, construction worker, and military man ... sunflake viking ...

I kid you not, Sicatoka, I was literally going to write that exact same thing and then decided against it because I thought I might offend someone...

Really?

How bout mixing it up and not only change the name of our nickname, but change the way it is referenced and said.  What I mean is, if we pick a sweet name like "Warriors" and reference it in the non NA way to our military or Air Base, the nickname could be the Warriors, and we could be known as....

"The Warriors of North Dakota"