SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

What could the NCAA do?  "Soo" does not violate any of their nickname policies in place and a train engine logo certainly doesn't either.  Sure it would probably be a shot at the NCAA, but legally there is nothing they could do to UND to punish them.  I am all for it!!  HA!!

Sadly the NCAA has shown what they will do: if you are on the bubble for playoffs you are first out, you will never host an NCAA event again. Vi have our vays!"

It's our state horse, and a logo would make it obvious what it is. Outside of the midwest, the majority of people probably wouldn't know what Sioux are either. I would rather have a name that people haven't heard of than a name that is used by hundreds of other schools or teams (cowboys, eagles, tigers). I don't mind Mustangs but it would almost fall into the generic category as well. 

My brother is a college English/Writing and Rhetoric tenured professor at a school in suburban Chicago and he complains about what much of what I stated and I have a couple of friends at a large Minnesota university who share those concerns.  I do only bankruptcy work and I see a lot of student loan servitude and I see people in academia who are being economically restricted.  While I don't know everything, I do have some perspective.  Too much money poured into one thing causes a bubble effect and that's what's happening in education.  Those who are in the trough - the ever shrinking trough - recognize it and they don't like it and they want us to pick up the slack through taxes.  Unlike the "too big to fail" banks, I don't think they'll have the  political clout to insulate themselves from it.  

To back up what Chewey wrote....http://www.weartv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/uwf-faculty-members-explain-reasoning-vote-no-confidence-bense-49483.shtml#.VCF6h0NsKBg

There was also a piece in the UWF newspaper, the Voyager, that was scathing.  I have not seen it online, just in print.  I have friends who are college professors and they are not pleased with UWF starting football.  One of them termed football as "the religion of the south".  It takes away resources and focus from academics.

Regarding the name, i would prefer to use something that plays to North Dakota's history.. Cavalry, Scouts, Explorers.  Not a fan of Roughriders.  I went to RRHS.

If we are going for an animal Nokotas or Owls.

If going to the future.. Wildcatters for the oil/energy industry.

It's our state horse, and a logo would make it obvious what it is. Outside of the midwest, the majority of people probably wouldn't know what Sioux are either. I would rather have a name that people haven't heard of than a name that is used by hundreds of other schools or teams (cowboys, eagles, tigers). I don't mind Mustangs but it would almost fall into the generic category as well. 

Hitting the nail on the head!

There are already mavs to the south and to the east that we compete against. Since they are our enemies, maybe we should be the "Ice Men"? :whistling:

Maybe not "Ice Men" but ...

The Yeti.

No, wait. They'll find living Yeti and they'll be offended. < facepalm >