SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

So if I understand the article, they will take their time and we will just be North Dakota for the whole 2014-15 season and they should have something next year (hopefully) unless the legislative gets their way again and we have to wait until July 2017.

I hope they are sincere that they will contact just those people on the list and no "outsiders" and they actually take students suggestions and thoughts seriously as much as faculty, alumni, etc.

So if I understand the article, they will take their time and we will just be North Dakota for the whole 2014-15 season and they should have something next year (hopefully) unless the legislative gets their way again and we have to wait until July 2017.

I hope they are sincere that they will contact just those people on the list and no "outsiders" and they actually take students suggestions and thoughts seriously as much as faculty, alumni, etc.

Can someone explain what they mean by children when listing who the stakeholders are?

Anyone who thinks that in the end the new nickname wont make them physically ill for a minimum of 6 months is also currently mentally ill as well...or named Jeanotte.

Yup x 1000! Be prepared for the University of North Dakota Fluttering Monarch Butterflies or Environmentally Friendly Sparkly Unicorns. You are absolutely dreaming if you think Rough Riders, Green Knights, Warriors, Spartans, Nordics, or any other seemingly "war-mongering" name has a chance in this nickname charade. And for the love of Christmas, if we're the Rhymin' Simons and go with North Dakota Nokota, I'll pee my pants in front of 10,000 other fans next time I step foot in REA.

• Upvote 1

Literally children?

This is an excerpt from the article, don't know how to copy and paste quotes on my phone:

"This next step will mean consulting with stakeholders — students, children, residents, faculty, staff and alumni — and laying out the steps the university will take in picking a new nickname."

Oh, great. "Here come your University of North Dakota OPTIMUS PRIMES!"

http://www.thetoptens.com/greatest-transformer/

The Franklin Elementary 5th grade boys have submitted "Kung-Fu Ninja Kings" as their nickname choice...and were immediately countered by the girls in the class voting for "Snuggly Baby Kitty Cats."

In a related story, anti-Sioux nickname groups have released a statement of support for the girls' submission - claiming it better reflects the diversity and culture of the UND community. They have also called on GF Public School officials asking them to order the boys to attend cultural diversity classes.

Literally children?

They are going to let the 2 closest schools to the UND campus vote for a name (just like the NCAA let the 2 closest Sioux tribes vote for the fate of the name) so we wait for a vote from the Lake Agassiz and West Elementry crowd. As an alumn of West I should get a vote. ;)

The Franklin Elementary 5th grade boys have submitted "Kung-Fu Ninja Kings" as their nickname choice...and were immediately countered by the girls in the class voting for "Snuggly Baby Kitty Cats."

In a related story, anti-Sioux nickname groups have released a statement of support for the girls' submission - claiming it better reflects the diversity and culture of the UND community. They have also called on GF Public School officials asking them to order the boys to attend cultural diversity classes.

The kids would have to get the approval from all the Dojos in the state before we could move forward with the Kung-Fu Ninja Kings.

Folks, we've already been given clearance from a mouth piece of the opponents.

Remember this?

(Ron) His Horse Is Thunder suggested a replacement nickname that would focus on a North Dakota hero, Teddy Roosevelt.

“I would ask the UND alumni, the state board of Higher Education, . . . to take a look at changing the logo and choose an image that all of North Dakota could be proud of,” he said “We have the perfect logo: North Dakota Rough Riders. . . . Who could object to that? It is talking about bravery; it is talking about courage. I think everyone could agree on that.”

That was published in the GF Herald Wednesday, November 28, 2007.

Folks, we've already been given clearance from a mouth piece of the opponents.

Remember this?

(Ron) His Horse Is Thunder suggested a replacement nickname that would focus on a North Dakota hero, Teddy Roosevelt.

“I would ask the UND alumni, the state board of Higher Education, . . . to take a look at changing the logo and choose an image that all of North Dakota could be proud of,” he said “We have the perfect logo: North Dakota Fighting Sioux. . . . Who could object to that? It is talking about bravery; it is talking about courage. I think everyone could agree on that.”

That was published in the GF Herald Wednesday, November 28, 2007.

I think the changes I made to your post above are perfect.