SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

RT and Kuppy screwed the pooch for UND.

You can say that again. UND had enough talent to have had a great transition. Instead they waited til that talent either graduated or was a senior and D2 was stale and dead.

Also think about how good the games in 06 and 07 would have been.

Yes backouts suck everyone will agree to that. Was DI a bad move for NDSU or UND? It wasn't for UND since fans wanted to move with the SU's in 04. As for NDSU is hasn't affected them so I guess both are happy in DI. But let's say things would be different is RT and Kuppy weren't in charge in 04...that's why I don't get the grudge by GT. He is the only one on both sides that was there in 2004 and yet here we are today still without an instate rival game.

Those guys probably left Gene with a real bad taste in his mouth. RT aka TMWTFN, really strung it along before announcing they wouldn't be playing no?

You can say that again. UND had enough talent to have had a great transition. Instead they waited til that talent either graduated or was a senior and D2 was stale and dead.

Also think about how good the games in 06 and 07 would have been.

We'll never know.....though you know who I think wins both those games :D

Maybe they should have thought about the ramifications of moving up more than just football...oh wait buttfootball. So UND also cancelled the series with South Dakota State but in 2010 they played in Brookings and now in 2013 they are playing in Grand Forks. But NDSU still has the excuses that are up to 2,438 why they can't schedule UND.

Maybe they should have thought about the ramifications of moving up more than just football...oh wait buttfootball. So UND also cancelled the series with South Dakota State but in 2010 they played in Brookings and now in 2013 they are playing in Grand Forks. But NDSU still has the excuses that are up to 2,438 why they can't schedule UND.

They havent made any excuses. They just don't neeeeeeed or waaaaaaaant to play You need to get a life and move on to whining about something else. NDSU won't play you in FB and The rodents won't play you in hockey so when will someone here admit its not only the other guys fault.

Do we really have to explain this to you AGAIN to the reasons that UND decided to not play NDSU anymore in 2004? One more time...here are the reasons.

1) UND was still compteing at the D2 level. When it came to the playoffs, only wins against D2 schools counted as wins when being looked at by the NCAA playoff committee. So playing NDSU or any D1 (or even D3 school) would not help and actually could hurt their chances of making the playoffs at the end of the year. This was the main reason UND did not want to play NDSU.

2) As a D1 school, NDSU received more scholarships for their players than UND, a D2 school. So in the minds of UND officials, it was not an even playing field.

So those are the two main reasons UND chose not to play NDSU in 2014. Had it been the other way around, NDSU would have done the exact same thing. And you can't deny it.

The increase in scholorships wouldnt have had any material effect positively for at least 2-3 years as you still need to recruit and develope.

Cy-Hawk went on a 43-year hiatus, and that seems to be very much alive and well. You really have no clue what you're talking about.

You are correct. During the hiatus they said the same crap that is being said here and on BV. Thats why I really laugh when I see this stuff posted.

The CY-Hawk game is the hottest ticket in the state. No matter who else comes to town.

Yes backouts suck everyone will agree to that. Was DI a bad move for NDSU or UND? It wasn't for UND since fans wanted to move with the SU's in 04. As for NDSU is hasn't affected them so I guess both are happy in DI. But let's say things would be different is RT and Kuppy weren't in charge in 04...that's why I don't get the grudge by GT. He is the only one on both sides that was there in 2004 and yet here we are today still without an instate rival game.

I think Faison is part of the problem also.

I don't see how anyone can blame UND for not playing NDSU when the playing field wasn't level. that point has been brought up several times here and IMHO it is indisputable.

when the FU Boosters decide they want to play UND, the game will happen in short order. But right now they have nothing to gain and everything to loose by playing the game. It just doesn't make sense for them at this time. If the status of the UND and SU teams was switched I wouldn't want to play the game either.

this game doesn't make a lot of sense for UND right now either. with the conference we play in, making the playoffs will never be a given, no matter how well our program develops. a loss outside of the conference schedule could easily knock us out of the playoffs most years. I think this same argument applies to NDSU, the MVFC will never be a cake walk...

So, as much I liked the games between FU and UND, I would rather we gave ourselves a better shot at making the playoffs and then play the game there.

The increase in scholorships wouldnt have had any material effect positively for at least 2-3 years as you still need to recruit and develope.

Fair enough. So then NDSU would have been fine with UND ending it in 2005 since the playing field was not level anymore? That would have gone over well.

They havent made any excuses. They just don't neeeeeeed or waaaaaaaant to play You need to get a life and move on to whining about something else. NDSU won't play you in FB and The rodents won't play you in hockey so when will someone here admit its not only the other guys fault.

You are right NDSU doesn't need or want UND. We aren't the ones looking for an 11th game. Good luck filling the void without bankrupting the college.

You are right NDSU doesn't need or want UND. We aren't the ones looking for an 11th game. Good luck filling the void without bankrupting the college.

Given how we sellout games I would doubt that it would do anything other than make money. A home game will sellout no matter who plays. There would be absolutely no incentive to do a home and home with UND right now. Get over it. Even that certificate from Aakers Business College ought to let you figure that any home game in Fargo is a huge money maker. A money maker for NDSU and the entire campus area.

I wasn't talking about just this year. They don't need to play them ever (or at least for a very long time) and they will still be a lot better off than UND. I think they will be just fine finding AND affording a team to come into one of the best environments in FCS. You should spend more time figuring out how to put butts in the seats of the Alerus than you do worrying about NDSUs schedule. I know you can't because the envy/hatred you have for GT. Move on and get over it or call RT and tell him to apologize. That might get you further than blaming it on others

I believe this quote accurately summarizes the state of our program and all the discussion about this game. It'll be a good day when beating NDSU no longer equates to a National title.

The sad thing is that guys like Darrell don't understand how self-defeating their obsession with playing NDSU really is. NDSU moved on to bigger things when UND terminated the rivalry, and, as a result, has prospered as never before. UND needs to do the same.

Given how we sellout games I would doubt that it would do anything other than make money. A home game will sellout no matter who plays. There would be absolutely no incentive to do a home and home with UND right now. Get over it. Even that certificate from Aakers Business College ought to let you figure that any home game in Fargo is a huge money maker. A money maker for NDSU and the entire campus area.

No doubt all NDSU games are money makers for the school and the area around the campus. However, with a significant number of UND fans in Fargo I think many of the restaurants would welcome a UND/NDSU matchup in Fargo. I'd imagine there would be a waiting list for nearly every bar/restaurant in town with the number of people who would turn out to watch. You can't pack more people in a full stadium but you can in bars and restaurants throughout town and throughout the region.

Fair enough. So then NDSU would have been fine with UND ending it in 2005 since the playing field was not level anymore? That would have gone over well.

I think it would have been fine IF you would give some advanced notice as opposed to sitting on a contract and waiting to the 11th hours to announce it at a presser that you wouldnt be playing.

NDSU is receiving more money from WCU for the buyout than was originally going to be paid to them, NDSU should have little trouble bringing a team in and should have little trouble paying them a fair price for the beatdown they receive.

No doubt all NDSU games are money makers for the school and the area around the campus. However, with a significant number of UND fans in Fargo I think many of the restaurants would welcome a UND/NDSU matchup in Fargo. I'd imagine there would be a waiting list for nearly every bar/restaurant in town with the number of people who would turn out to watch. You can't pack more people in a full stadium but you can in bars and restaurants throughout town and throughout the region.

Fargo restaurants are stupid busy all the time. But I see what you're saying.

Bison fans throughout the city/region already fill bars and restaurants on game day if they can't get in the dome.

When the financial incentives align for the teams to play (absent a conference affilliation) it will happen. But that is not where it is now.

Meaning when NDSUs recent success slows and they need the game to fill the building up again. There will be a time when that happens but until then I don't see it being played.

I wasn't talking about just this year. They don't need to play them ever (or at least for a very long time) and they will still be a lot better off than UND. I think they will be just fine finding AND affording a team to come into one of the best environments in FCS. You should spend more time figuring out how to put butts in the seats of the Alerus than you do worrying about NDSUs schedule. I know you can't because the envy/hatred you have for GT. Move on and get over it or call RT and tell him to apologize. That might get you further than blaming it on others

If NDSU doesn't need UND then BIson fans and media should never use the word UND when they have scheduling problems. Because as the teams fill their schedule and it gets closer to fall UND will get named more and more and if this happens next year UND will get mentioned again.

If NDSU doesn't need UND then BIson fans and media should never use the word UND when they have scheduling problems. Because as the teams fill their schedule and it gets closer to fall UND will get named more and more and if this happens next year UND will get mentioned again.

Its not the fans you hear say it, its guys who write for the paper. Why are you still crying about it?

Its not the fans you hear say it, its guys who write for the paper. Why are you still crying about it?

I'm not but anytime you hear NDSU and scheudling problems UND gets thrown into the conversations. I like that poll in BVille obviously there are Bison fans that want the game but you are over here telling me on a UND board to get over it....tell that to those in your own fanbase on your own message board.