SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

What? That doesn't make sense. You are drafted in high school. He got drafted out of the NTDP. Played his senior year in Omaha.

Big A HG did a good job of summarizing the rule earlier in this thread:

I believe this is how it works. After your 4th season after you have been drafted, you can sign with whomever. Most people equate this rule to being after you finish college, you can become a free agent. Since Gregoire was drafted in 2007, he played one season for Lincoln (USHL) and three with the Sioux, he used his four years after being drafted and was then able to become a free agent instead of having to wait for four years at UND. There is some confusion with that rule because most people think that it means you have to play all four collegiate seasons when it just means you have to play four non-professional seasons after being drafted.

Kristo's 4 years of having his rights held by Montreal wouldn't expire until after his senior year.

Kristo's 4 years of having his rights held by Montreal wouldn't expire until after his senior year.

Yes. Kristo played a year in Omaha with the USHL after he was drafted and it would be 3 years after this season with UND. That would be four years and fit him into that category. He was drafted before his senior year of high school.

Kristo's 4 years expire at the end of this season. He was drafted in the summer of 2008 after playing with the NTDP U-18 Team.

2008-2009 Omaha Lancers

2009-2010 North Dakota

2010-2011 North Dakota

2011-2012 North Dakota

Same situation as Gregoire

Kristo's 4 years expire at the end of this season. He was drafted in the summer of 2008 after playing with the NTDP U-18 Team.

2008-2009 Omaha Lancers

2009-2010 North Dakota

2010-2011 North Dakota

2011-2012 North Dakota

Same situation as Gregoire

My bad. I thought Kristo came to UND right after his draft year.

My bad. I thought Kristo came to UND right after his draft year.

It's unusual to be drafted before your senior year though so its something that can get missed. I remembered because everyone was wondering why he wasn't here already that year. He aged out of the NTDP because of his birthday. Mattson did as well, hence the reasoning for going to juniors.

It's unusual to be drafted before your senior year though so its something that can get missed. I remembered because everyone was wondering why he wasn't here already that year. He aged out of the NTDP because of his birthday. Mattson did as well, hence the reasoning for going to juniors.

I thought I had a better handle on this rule, but apparently not. So if he comes back for his senior year, does he automatically become a free agent, or does Montreal still hold his rights until shortly after he graduates?

I thought I had a better handle on this rule, but apparently not. So if he comes back for his senior year, does he automatically become a free agent, or does Montreal still hold his rights until shortly after he graduates?

My understanding of the rule is, if he does not sign with Montreal before the 2012 draft they will lose his rights. That is probably why you will see Montreal pushing very hard to sign him after his season is done at UND. I could also be wrong too! :silly:

Hey, we've all missed a few over the years. Hope you're wrong on Kristo, though, too, but many are saying the same thing you are.

I've heard some inside things involving the family and the coaches and lets just say there's some dilemmas. I will not post what it is because I promised the guy who told me that I wouldn't, but from what I heard and with the kind of year Kristo has had, it's very, very unlikely that he will be back. If he does come back then his team mates will have done a lot of begging to say the least.

My understanding of the rule is, if he does not sign with Montreal before the 2012 draft they will lose his rights. That is probably why you will see Montreal pushing very hard to sign him after his season is done at UND. I could also be wrong too! :silly:

He becomes a free agent only if he withdraws from school. The wording of the CBA states that if the player "does not remain a bona fide college student" through the graduation of his college class, his drafting team has exclusive negotiation rights "until the fourth June 1st following his selection in the Entry draft." If unsigned as of the fourth June 1st, he then becomes a free agent and can sign with any team at the beginning of the NHL free agency period (July 1st).

Danny Kristo is a 2008 draftee, as are Joe Gleason and Andrew MacWilliam, and the fourth June 1st following the 2008 NHL Entry Draft is June 1st, 2012.

I've heard some inside things involving the family and the coaches and lets just say there's some dilemmas. I will not post what it is because I promised the guy who told me that I wouldn't, but from what I heard and with the kind of year Kristo has had, it's very, very unlikely that he will be back. If he does come back then his team mates will have done a lot of begging to say the least.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

• Upvote 1

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:lol:. I'll just tell you it's a reliable source.

Hmmmm.....play up in Canada......test the waters of the NHL free agency pool.....play another year in Grand Forks....

You have to think playing in Montreal would be an unreal place to play professional hockey, but if he decides to become a free agent he won't have to worry about finding possible suitors. I think he'll sign with les habitants, and possibly make his NHL debut sometime next season.

Hmmmm.....play up in Canada......test the waters of the NHL free agency pool.....play another year in Grand Forks....

You have to think playing in Montreal would be an unreal place to play professional hockey, but if he decides to become a free agent he won't have to worry about finding possible suitors. I think he'll sign with les habitants, and possibly make his NHL debut sometime next season.

If he leaves I have no doubt he'll be in the NHL next season

I think with Kristo's style of play, he can step in to the NHL and be very effective. I think he will have a much more productive NHL career than anyone that was on last year's team, yes including Gregoire and Frattin.

Kristo? Kristo ain't near NHL material right now. Minor leagues next two years if not forever.

Kristo is the next Lee Goren.

Kristo is nothing like Lee Goren. You could just as easily say he's the next Patrick Kane (which he isn't either but just as close)

Bracketology predicts these brackets as of today:

Northeast Regional

1 Boston College vs. 16 Western Michigan

8 Union vs. 9 Massachusetts-Lowell

West Regional

3 Minnesota-Duluth vs. 14 Michigan State

6 Minnesota vs. 11 Maine

East Regional

4 Miami-Ohio vs. 13 Cornell

5 Boston University vs. 12 Denver

Midwest Regional

2 Michigan vs. 15 AHA Champion

7 Ferris State vs. 10 North Dakota

I'm ok with that.

Northeast Regional

West Regional

6 Minnesota vs. 11 Maine

East Regional

Midwest Regional

I'm ok with that.

I bet Ferris State wouldn't be.

Northeast Regional

West Regional

6 Minnesota vs. 11 Maine

East Regional

Midwest Regional

In this scenario, I think BC would walk out of the NE with no issues.

West would be a showdown between UMD and UMN. That could be an awesome game at the X.

East could be any team between Miami, BU, or DU imo.

I would like that bracket for UND if it actually happened. Although we didn't have good luck last time we faced FSU in the 1st round, I like our chances to advance. Facing Michigan this year with the roles reversed as underdog would be a sweet revenge. :)

Northeast Regional

West Regional

6 Minnesota vs. 11 Maine

East Regional

Midwest Regional

I'm ok with that.

Is this from USCHO? I didn't see that Moy made his picks for this week yet.

Would love for Minnesota to match up with Maine in the first round at the "X'. Hopefully a little revenge for Maine for the last time they played there in 2002 National Championship game. Maine is also one of the hotter teams in the country, and they have a terrific top line as well.