SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. CC - Saturday

MissSioux85

It is unbelievable to see the sioux have the success that they do in the black uniforms. I mean you talk about an unreal streak. It is a completely different hockey team on the ice when they put on the black uniforms. Everything just seems to go right.....

Nice to have a week off. Two weeks to get fresh, then get home and sweep Anchorage.

It is unbelievable to see the sioux have the success that they do in the black uniforms. I mean you talk about an unreal streak. It is a completely different hockey team on the ice when they put on the black uniforms. Everything just seems to go right.....

Nice to have a week off. Two weeks to get fresh, then get home and sweep Anchorage.

Agreed on all counts.

Let's hope for good news on the Genoway injury front. As much criticism as he took the last two weeks, his play would bolster UND's chances of having a deep postseason run.

UAA at home is a must sweep. We've had our difficulties sweeping WCHA opponents at home...none since SCSU in December.

If we want to be positioned for the MacNaughton at the end of the season, four points is critical.

More black jersey stats from Schlossman's gamer:

UND has scored 14 consecutive goals in the black jerseys and hasn

I have a question that might have been already asked but how do the Sioux when big and drop in the Pairwise? I just do not get it, toughest schedule in the country and they drop after a win to a ranked team. please someone explain to me. Thanks

I have a question that might have been already asked but how do the Sioux when big and drop in the Pairwise? I just do not get it, toughest schedule in the country and they drop after a win to a ranked team. please someone explain to me. Thanks

I haven't looked tonight and I don't know it as well as some others, but the thing to remember about Pairwise is that it isn't just about what your team does. It also involves how everyone else does. It involves comparisons of how you have done against other teams and how other teams have done against the rest of the teams. Teams can become TUC's or lose their TUC status. Your record against them will either hurt you or help you no matter what you do that day. You can win big, and if the right teams win or lose that day you can drop in Pairwise. You can lose, and if the right teams win or lose you can rise in Pairwise. Pairwise isn't a straight or simple ranking system. So the simple results of a single game won't tell the story of what will happen in Pairwise when all of the other games played that day figure in. And it is also why I have always said that there is no point in watching Pairwise early in the season because there are way too many variables in place that will change the rankings by the end of the season.

I'm sure that Jim or someone else will take the time to explain in more detail exactly what happened this weekend to allow UND to drop in the rankings even though they won the game. My guess is that a comparison or 2 flipped because someone now has a better record against common opponents, or because a school UND has a good record against dropped out of TUC status or a team that someone else has a record against became a TUC.

Hak:

Like Rowney/Kristo/Nelson a lot. Thought tonight was a breakout game for Brock.

So did Hexy then play on 4th line w Mario and Davidson last night?

Brad's recap and this thread showed Nelson starting on 4th line? Just curious as to how it played out last night.

I do not pay much attention to the Pairwise, except in years that we have been on the bubble. I am quite sure that we are destined for a #1 seed and heading to Saint Louis before we see Saint Paul.

This said, I could swear that we were lower in the rank yesterday morning that we are today after the big win in black attack.

1.30.11 Pairwise Rank

Maybe I, or you, are looking at the wrong one? Or, maybe I am just plain wrong as I sometimes am.

Per an earlier post from Numbers Jim, we lose the comparison with Yale never to get it back. At least this is what I understand. Does not mean that we cannot step over Yale, or anyone else, to #1 overall as I understand.

Yale drops two. BC on the roll. Gophers drop one at home to AA. We must guard against that in two weeks.

Season heating up. Great time of year to be a college hockey fan.

Agreed on all counts.

Let's hope for good news on the Genoway injury front. As much criticism as he took the last two weeks, his play would bolster UND's chances of having a deep postseason run.

UAA at home is a must sweep. We've had our difficulties sweeping WCHA opponents at home...none since SCSU in December.

If we want to be positioned for the MacNaughton at the end of the season, four points is critical.

He is an asset if used correctly by coaching staff. D had 2 goals and 2 assists, killed off all 5 PK. Now coaching staff using players in correct positions and it shows. We left impressed.

They just have to figure out where the BJMs (BLack Jerseys of the Mind) are stored.

So did Hexy then play on 4th line w Mario and Davidson last night?

Brad's recap and this thread showed Nelson starting on 4th line? Just curious as to how it played out last night.

I wasn't quite sure but I think I heard Hak say during postgame that they moved Nelson up during the game, so maybe that's when Hextall moved down?

They just have to figure out where the BJMs (BLack Jerseys of the Mind) are stored.

This is my concern. At some point this record is more than a coincidence. The team needs to figure out to bring that in the ol' greens as well. Sooner or later you depend on the Blacks too much and it will lose the effect. Can't keep trotting them out like a pacifier.

Unsung hero of the week, and maybe season - Jake Marto.

After playing forward for much of the season, he steps onto D for the weekend, and comes out +1 Friday and +3 Saturday.

I have no idea how a guy can switch back and forth - between weeks, between games, and sometimes its been between shifts - and succeed like he does.

I salute.

This said, I could swear that we were lower in the rank yesterday morning that we are today after the big win in black attack.

1.30.11 Pairwise Rank

I agree. I try to check USCHO's table (that you linked to) now and then but didn't yesterday, but the PWR here had UND at #4 before last night's game and back up to #3 (unchanged from last week) after the win. The temporary drop was because our common opponents comparison with Denver went to Denver when the Sioux lost, but then back to UND when the Sioux won (Denver didn't play).

This is my concern. At some point this record is more than a coincidence. The team needs to figure out to bring that in the ol' greens as well. Sooner or later you depend on the Blacks too much and it will lose the effect. Can't keep trotting them out like a pacifier.

It is almost as if the unanswered question about this team's identity next year is playing itself out this year.

I know we have about a month left in the season, but this is where I see the WCHA finishing at the end of February/early March. Of course I have green glasses on most of the time, so of course the Sioux will win the league.... :blush:

WCHA Final

Team GP Pts

UND 28 42

Denver 28 41

UMD 28 38

Nebraska-Omaha 28 32

UW 28 31

UMN 28 30

CC 28 29

AA 28 24

SCSU 28 22

Mankato 28 22

Bemidji State 28 20

MTech 28 5

First Round Series:

Tech@UND

BSU @ Denver

Mankato@ UMD

SCSU @ Nebraska Omaha

AA @ UW

CC @ Minnesota

I know we have about a month left in the season, but this is where I see the WCHA finishing at the end of February/early March. Of course I have green glasses on most of the time, so of course the Sioux will win the league.... :blush:

WCHA Final

Team GP Pts

UND 28 42

Denver 28 41

UMD 28 38

Nebraska-Omaha 28 32

UW 28 31

UMN 28 30

CC 28 29

AA 28 24

SCSU 28 22

Mankato 28 22

Bemidji State 28 20

MTech 28 5

First Round Series:

Tech@UND

BSU @ Denver

Mankato@ UMD

SCSU @ Nebraska Omaha

AA @ UW

CC @ Minnesota

That is the one bad thing about finishing first; we would have to play Tech two straight weekends. I am always concerned when that happens, but Tech is soooo bad this year I don't think we'll have too much trouble winning the playoff series 2-0. And even if we don't win the league, I want us to finish at least 2nd because this year at the Final Five the top two seeds get byes into the semifinals on Friday. So we would have to win two games in two days instead of three in three. But in order to accomplish either of those goals, we will have to start taking care of business at home (Hint: Sweep), which we haven't been doing since Christmas. If we can do that, we'll be in great shape for March and beyond.

WCHA Final

Team GP Pts

UND 28 42

Denver 28 41

UMD 28 38

Nebraska-Omaha 28 32

UW 28 31

UMN 28 30

CC 28 29

AA 28 24

SCSU 28 22

Mankato 28 22

Bemidji State 28 20

MTech 28 5

First Round Series:

Tech@UND

BSU @ Denver

Mankato@ UMD

SCSU @ Nebraska Omaha

AA @ UW

CC @ Minnesota

I was thinking last weekend after the series with UNO was over, that, looking at our remaining ten games, a 9-1 run (8-2 worst case scinario) was very realistic. I still believe that. I know we've got all bottom five teams remaining on the schedule, but you are going to lose some in this league. I absolutely love when we play UAA. In my opinion, they are the one team in this league that year in and year out can and will match us physically. And as a fan that aspect of the game, I get really jacked up for that series. And unlike the two "major metropolitan area" teams in the WCHA, you'll never hear, "Oh boo hoo. Big bad North Dakota plays to rough.' coming from the UAA camp. Dave Shyiak and his squad will always have my respect for that.

I was thinking last weekend after the series with UNO was over, that, looking at our remaining ten games, a 9-1 run (8-2 worst case scinario) was very realistic. I still believe that. I know we've got all bottom five teams remaining on the schedule, but you are going to lose some in this league. I absolutely love when we play UAA. In my opinion, they are the one team in this league that year in and year out can and will match us physically. And as a fan that aspect of the game, I get really jacked up for that series. And unlike the two "major metropolitan area" teams in the WCHA, you'll never hear, "Oh boo hoo. Big bad North Dakota plays to rough.' coming from the UAA camp. Dave Shyiak and his squad will always have my respect for that.

Last night during the UMN and UAA broadcast on FSN Dave Shyiak was quoted as saying that he would like to play more physical brand of hockey but the league is calling the games so tight. Yeah we won't hear complaints from the UAA media or fans about the big mean Sioux.

Thats why our SOS is so high ....we have 6 teams in the top 20....and 11 that can beat just about anybody on a given night.If you have an off night night you will lose in the WCHA....and if you play poorly you can get embarrassed like we did against UNO!! Its funny we split with good teams and we act like we have the worst team in the country.Even good teams have bad stretches(if we can call these past three weekends a bad stretch).There was a year awhile back were we we lost to the gophers in nov 10-6....had a three weekend stretch in jan were we split all three series(losing one game 8-3).Then got swept by denver in the last series of the season. Then went unbeaten in the postseason and won the national title(97)....lets not call for haks head everytime we lose a game....or say this wouldnt of happened if Blais were coaching because his teams had their stretches too.Hak has the sioux in great postion right now.... all we need is that postseason roll!!!!!!!

Just a random side note (rant) from sat's game:

When Howe was on the ice injured, some sioux fans right by us were cheering and clapping that he was down. I was so embarrassed by them. It doesn't matter whether the person on the ice is wearing a jersey from UND, CC, UMN, DU, etc. Its just some 19-20 year old kid out there. Don't cheer for the fact that he's injured. Show some class.

Exactly on the point Keikla

When Howe was on the ice injured, some sioux fans right by us were cheering and clapping that he was down. I was so embarrassed by them. It doesn't matter whether the person on the ice is wearing a jersey from UND, CC, UMN, DU, etc. Its just some 19-20 year old kid out there. Don't cheer for the fact that he's injured. Show some class.

Yeah I don't get that when fans cheer because one of the oppostion players is hurt during a play, this is a sport and that shows poor sportsmanship. I can remember back to college being in football games when someone is down it's quiet on the sidelines out of respect for a fellow player.

Unsung hero of the week, and maybe season - Jake Marto.

After playing forward for much of the season, he steps onto D for the weekend, and comes out +1 Friday and +3 Saturday.

I have no idea how a guy can switch back and forth - between weeks, between games, and sometimes its been between shifts - and succeed like he does.

I salute.

Should have had Marto and Lapoint together all year but coaches decided they know better. One week we have Simpson on the power play and then he does not dress for the Sat game. WTF? No need for more defensivemen when 5 plays half of all the shifts. Hopefully we are done with all this nonsense of putting 5 out fhere for everything. Not blaming 5, just blaming coaches for not utilizing the rest of the bench and overplaying an average defensemen. Will see a more balance TEAM. Hoping 5 will be out little longer for coaches to realize what they really have on the bench.

• Downvote 14

It's one thing to dislike the crest on the opposing team's sweater and whatever you think it might stand for. That's fine, but there's still a young man in that sweater, who none of us, for all intents and purposes, know on a personal level. None of us who have half a brain in our heads wanna see stuff like what happened to Robbie Bina, Tommy Pohl, and Jessie Martin. Inside the rules of the game, outside the rules of the game, doesn't matter. Kids getting helped or carted off the playing surface isn't cool by any stretch of the imagination. I would have hoped that someone called those pinheads out and told them to shut their mouths.